Being contacted during a daily rest period

Carryfast:

Conor:

Carryfast:
Where in the real world would anyone finish at 2 pm with an expected start time of 7 am.

Where I’m at. Well maybe not 7am but definitely 6.30am. Sometimes you can be finished earlier than 2pm with that as a start time the following morning, often it depends on what run your unit is on that night.

Let’s get this right.Finished at 2pm why would anyone have an issue with starting at 4 am let alone 7 am the following shift.The body clock is obviously going to be set differently to that of finishing at 6 pm.The clue is in the weird finish time.
I don’t buy it.
My guess is they want a finish time of let’s say 6pm and be expected to start at let’s say 4am by way of a phone call at let’s say 7 pm.
It’s an enforced reduced daily rest scam. :unamused:

Let’s say let’s say 2pm 9am 2100 eleventy twenty 12 o’clock 15

Carryfast:
Let’s get this right.Finished at 2pm why would anyone have an issue with starting at 4 am let alone 7 am the following shift.

Has anyone said that’s a problem? As I said earlier, if I went home at 2pm expecting to start at 7am, I’ll likely arrange things so as to go to bed around 10pm. That’s not a problem. The issue I would have is a text message arriving during the evening - when I may or may not be at home - telling me I am required at work at 4am and leaving me with 9 hours in which to curtail whatever I’m doing, get home, get a SS&S, a full night’s sleep, get up and get to work. As a one-off, I’d not be too happy but if (as with the OP) this became pretty much SOP for my employer I’d find it unacceptable.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Carryfast:
Let’s get this right.Finished at 2pm why would anyone have an issue with starting at 4 am let alone 7 am the following shift.

Has anyone said that’s a problem? As I said earlier, if I went home at 2pm expecting to start at 7am, I’ll likely arrange things so as to go to bed around 10pm. That’s not a problem.

Why would you possibly think that a 2pm finish would be followed by a 7am start based on a typical daily rest/shift regime. :confused:
You’d know that there’s every chance of needing to start the following shift at around 3am based on that finish time.
I’m seeing nothing in the OP’s example which doesn’t shout reduced daily rest regime on demand at late notice to suit the guvnor.
By default you’d know that it’s a possible 4am start requirement by the start of the preceding daily rest period started by 5pm at the latest.If not then that’s obviously a reduced daily rest enforced by text or phone message.

Carryfast:
Why would you possibly think that a 2pm finish would be followed by a 7am start based on a typical daily rest/shift regime. :confused:

Er - actual real-life experience of working in the industry for the past 15 years…

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Boss Calls. - “Sorry for disturbing you so early,”

“its OK. I had to get up as the phone was ringing.”

If it was one of the kids ringing, would you ignore the phone until you had finished your regulation beauty sleep?

Wheel Nut:
If it was one of the kids ringing, would you ignore the phone until you had finished your regulation beauty sleep?

Nah not really, because the kids are my family who I care about… but mostly because they don’t instil stupid bloody rules and regs on me, that are suitably laxed and ignored when it applies to and suits THEM.
Hope that answers your point.

Roymondo:

Carryfast:

Er - actual real-life experience of working in the industry for the past 15 years…

Yep ‘typically’ loads of jobs out there start at 7 am finished by 2pm.
Ironically I did one just like it start at 8pm finish by 3 am, ‘if’ it was only one trailer load not two, under a very ‘untypical’ watertight job and finish agreement.But I ‘expected’ to finish at anything to 7 am possibly even later depending on traffic :unamused:

It’s obvious in this case that if it’s not an enforced reduced daily rest by phone then the driver would/should have known about the 4am start, when he’d finished by 5pm at the latest possibly a bit earlier.
Bearing in mind this is clearly a job with variable start times and anything less than 11 hours is a reduced daily rest period.

A mate o mine worked permanent nights mon - frid, job was changeover midlands and then up to south o Glasgow ( to be determined ) then back to yrd supposed to be 6pm start but it ended up any time from 4pm —9pm. , his office would phone the house any time waking him up in the afternoon . And get ■■■■■■ off if he didn’t answer ( wife worked) worst thing they did this to all the night men

Doesn’t bother me if i get a call/text from work. Usually come in earlier which suits me. Like today, due back in tomorrow after weekly rest, got a message can i start early next week?
But I always have option to put phone on silent.

I put my phone on DO NOT DISTURB and voila no messages or calls until the set time i.e 6am!! :smiley: then again I have set time for starting work, if they want me in earlier I want to know before I leave for home the previous day!