Interupted daily rest periods

Right boys, should i be texting/ringing drivers whilst they are on daily rest, according to my manager it’s fine to do this, i think not, what da ya reckon?

Is it personal or work related?

work related.

quork:
Right boys, should i be texting/ringing drivers whilst they are on daily rest, according to my manager it’s fine to do this, i think not, what da ya reckon?

You can but its up to them if they respond to it or not

If you require a driver to respond then that’s a different matter

If it bothers you that muchTell them don’t answer till there break us over . Simple

What im trying to get at is, is there a rule anywhere that says i cant text the driver whilst he is on daily rest!

quork:
What im trying to get at is, is there a rule anywhere that says i cant text the driver whilst he is on daily rest!

No law stopping you unless it is so often it gets to the harassment stage

Do you expect a reply from the drivers :question:

ROG:

quork:

No law stopping you unless it is so often it gets to the harassment stage

Do you expect a reply from the drivers :question:

None that says he has to read it or even look at his phone till after his daily rest either, he’s quite at liberty to turn it off! Is one that says he has to be free to dispose of his time as he wishes. As a previous boss of mine discovered when I quit answering out of working hours calls.

It wouldn’t bother me personally but then again I would rather be rung than texted as texts are notorious for not getting through.
Also if my boss didn’t want to speak to me personally then he probably wouldn’t be the sort of person I’d want to work for anyway.
Mind you my cab phone goes off as soon as I park up anyway.

I think this recent ruling in Ireland may have fluffed a few feathers :wink:
m.independent.ie/irish-news/cour … 58231.html

We’ve had drivers pipe up on that Irish ruling. The office don’t ring us anymore.

nick2008:
We’ve had drivers pipe up on that Irish ruling. The office don’t ring us anymore.

which is correct! :grimacing: like a split daily rest too! :laughing: UNINTERRUPTED is the wording is it not? :sunglasses:

quork:

NO is the answer,he /she is on rest away from work,you more than likely don`t pay them to be on call 24/7.Its not his/her fault you have failed to communicate with them before they “clock off” so wait until the start of their shift next day.

YES the boss can attempt to contact the driver but they cannot legally require the driver to respond when the driver is on rest

Wasn’t there a case recently involving stobarts on this very subject , ie traffic office contacting them on their weekly rest periods & I think the drivers won their case

We’re going through this right now. I reckon that Stobart ruling has had an impact. All staff have now been informed that trampers on daily rest are to be left alone.

As soon as I book off I am on rest :bulb: … I don’t get paid so my work phone goes off. If they try and ring my private phone I don’t answer, but that’s just me as I’m an arsey ■■■■■■■■ :smiley:

robroy:
As soon as I book off I am on rest :bulb: … I don’t get paid so my work phone goes off. If they try and ring my private phone I don’t answer, but that’s just me as I’m an arsey [zb]. :smiley:

That’s the only way to do it, good for you, pity there’s not more people like you, as they say if you have to ask.

Where I used to work, they would phone or text you on your daily rest and no one, including myself minded this. At my current place of work they wouldn’t dare call certain drivers as some of them wouldn’t answer and others would answer and restart their daily rest period, I just don’t answer and they know they guys who will answer. Difference, in my opinion, is how the company treat you :smiley: