Rest timef

Finished my shift this morning at 0415, got a text at 0715 asking if I can do a start of 2000 this evening, am I right in thinking that work shouldn’t be contacting me for 11 hours from 0415.

I find the best thing to do with phones is to switch them off or put them on silent when asleep, luckily our bedroom is a long way from the kitchen so the phones could ring all bloody night and we wouldn’t hear them.

Generally my company won’t contact drivers out of hours, there are exceptions to this, the night supervisors will use their common sense and say for example i’m due in at 4am but the load has been cancelled and not going till 7am then one of the two sensible supervisors will text me at around 0315, which is about right to let me know its not going to be ready, if they know before 8pm they text the night before.
Now some of our drivers get the hump about this and won’t be contacted, but to me this is using one’s noddle and to everyone’s benefit (especially mine as we’re salaried so saving me 3 wasted hours), those who get the hump are usually the perma awkward and/or regular sick notes.

However in your case, a text 3 hours after you’ve finished a night shift is taking the ■■■■…unless they know you personally and know you take the kids to school or do something else in the morning and then go to bed at say 11am…and i’d be telling them in no uncertain terms, in writing so there’s a written record that the company are endangering everyone by disturbing night driver’s sleep.
But do silence that phone.

Hmmmmm …

Have a read of the latest GV262. There’s a section talks about being ‘on call’ during daily rest.

shep532:
Hmmmmm …

Have a read of the latest GV262. There’s a section talks about being ‘on call’ during daily rest.

Drivers’ hours and tachographs: goods vehicles - 1. EU and AETR rules on drivers’ hours - Guidance - GOV.UK

Being on call may only extend as far as a driver agreeing to answer a call during a rest period but only if the driver so chooses.

I have an app…

That rejects all witheld numbers.

If anyone rings, you’re not obliged to pick it up, your’e not obliged to pick up any ringing phone. Let’s face it, picking up a work call just to say ‘no I can’t go in early/help you out’ is pointless.

Or, as already mentioned, turn it off.

we are employed by people, not owned by them

What Juddian says. :bulb:

If my cabphone goes when I am parked up for night (if I’ve forgot to switch it off that is) it gets ignored.
If my own phone goes (firm ringing) it gets ignored.
I will then ring after 9 or 11, when they are at home on THEIR rest, and say… ''You rang me last night? ‘’

They soon get (or in my case got) the message.

You can sure as hell bet they aint ringing you to do you any favours, and they are fully aware they should not be interrupting your daily rest.

Being a fairly accommodating brown noser the office conversation goes something like this.

Boss: Hey dipper me old mucka, we won’t know your Monday job till Saturday is it OK to ring you on your personal.

Dipper: Hi guv how’s it hanging, no probs but just in case I’m balls deep how about texting it to me instead.

Boss: Ehh OK but I need to know you have got the info.

Dipper: No worries I’ll reply with some witty banter.

Boss: Eh the work mobiles can’t receive texts.

Dipper: Just send it from your personal (now starting to feel like I’m spoon feeding a special needs pony).

Boss: Eh no can do, I don’t want to give you my personal number as you have a reputation of sorts.

Dipper: I understand, don’t worry I’ll text my reply to your wife or daughters phone, problem solved.

I’m such a star employee

Dipper you are a legend!

:laughing:

Why not switch your phone off when you go to bed,text messages will still appear when you switch it back on again.

My phone has a Do Not Disturb mode where I can select who I do and don’t want to be woken up by if they ring so I can leave it on for family/school to contact me in an emergency but it won’t utter a peep for any messages or calls from anyone else.

Phone on silent, check it when I get up for my midday wee, reset alarm and back to bed (with phone still on silent).

this all depends on who you work for, who in the office is contacting you, are they normally good to work for, quite a good job (in your eyes), would they help you in times of need, and do you want a xxxxx job anyway,

hotel magnum:
this all depends on who you work for, who in the office is contacting you, are they normally good to work for, quite a good job (in your eyes), would they help you in times of need, and do you want a xxxxx job anyway,

Exactly, my last post did not apply to the co. I worked at for 10 yrs outbased from Colchester.
The reason for this was there was no bull ■■■■ there, you were looked upon as part of a team (rather than an arse on a seat) not ■■■■ ed about, and you were amply rewarded for anything or any extra help you did for them.
I was a model employee there, based on the old adage of ‘You only reap what you sow’ :bulb:
That adage is also applied to my present company, but in a different way. :wink:

To be fair my depot aint too bad, it’s the rules and directives from the main depot that creates most of my attitude towards said co.