BEFORE you book your training, READ THIS........

There are many posts on this site that have cited certain National Training Providers for not being fully transparent with their advertising and not explaining EXACTLY what the trainee is letting themselves in for :exclamation:
Some claim they have many training centres - they don’t :exclamation: - they act as ‘middlemen’ and farm out the work to other training schools and taking a slice by way of commission in the process.

For example, a provider might seem to be giving something away for free such as a C+E course if you pass a CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) course but beware, there will be time constraints on doing this :open_mouth:

Check exactly what they are asking you to do - is it a DRIVER CPC course which is not in force until Sept 2009 and is like ongoing basic training for LGV drivers, or a NATIONAL CPC (Operators) course which is only needed if you are going to run your own vehicle or a fleet of trucks :question: :question: :question:

The ‘operator’ CPC is not a legal requirement for a driver, and there is NO legal linkage or conditions about gaining a NATIONAL CPC to enable someone to upgrade to a C+E driving licence.

The NATIONAL CPC course only has 4 exam slots each year and is of an ‘A’ level examination standard.

If you pay one of these National Training Providers then, unless you have paid by CREDIT card, you may be unable to get a full refund once you realise that you have ‘been legally duped’. Always check with your card provider beforehand.

The general advice from the members of this site is to book your training with a company that has their own vehicles and instructors and, where possible, to get a recommendation from someone who has previously trained with them :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ask questions…

Should I have an Assessment drive? (Your personal choice on this point)
How much is an Assessment drive?
How much is the full course?
What does that include — VAT? Medical? , Theory test training? Theory test fee? Theory book? HPT (Hazard Perception Test) CD rom?
How many behind-the-wheel training hours will I get before my test?
Do you offer 1 to 1 & 2 to 1 training so that I can opt for what is best for me?
If I do not pass first time, how long till I get a retest?
What is the TOTAL price to take a retest?
If my course (or test) is cancelled at short notice by you for any reason, will I get full compensation such as loss of earnings if I will have to take more time off work?

There have been various posts on this site about these National Training Providers and can be accessed by using the SEARCH facility at the top of the page - just input the name of the provider you wish to check on. :smiley: :smiley:

THIS LINK will give you another members’ personal observation on the way that they operate and is well worth a read :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ROG
FROM HERE
:
Over the past few months I have had quite a few PMs asking if this or that company are brokers (middlemen) so I thought a list of them might be useful.

It is recommended by those on this site that the potential LGV trainee should visit the school they may wish to train with so that they can meet the instructor(s) and perhaps view the truck(s) and any facilities before parting with any money.

I am delberately not going to make comments as to the credibility, or not, of any broker - I am quite sure members will post their own personal experiences or views if they wish to.
Please remember that this site has rules on making unfounded accusations or deflamatory remarks etc

BROKERS
hgvtrainingcentre.co.uk/
thelgvgroup.co.uk/
driveandearn.co.uk/
easyashgv.co.uk
advantagehgv.co.uk
thelgvtrainingcompany.co.uk
hgvexpress.co.uk/
focushgv.co.uk/index.htm

Any more ?

This site has a list of Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members which can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature below.

There is also hgvlgvtraining.co.uk which contains a list of independant (non broker) LGV training schools.

Rikki-UK
FROM HERE
:
As we are mainly aware there has been a lot of discussion on here about some “national” training providers, there has also been some discussion and concerns about some of those companies perfectly legal marketing claims and perfectly legal tele marketing practices.

The words " let the buyer beware" is ever so true. due to certain legal issues we have had to restrict to an extent discussion of the marketing practices of a few companies. while some companies attempts to attract new clients may look to the knowledgeable to be dodgy, these companies are not daft and stay just within the law.

I am pleased to say we may have a solution. a new initiative by a well known and reputable company, to create a network of smaller LGV training providers. all participating in a new “National website” .

rather than making claims of work after passing your test, or offering “extras” that may not be needed, the aim of this website is to direct the prospective LGV driver to their local school that has shown it trains and markets to a certain ethical standard.

This idea is still in its planning stage, If any training providers wish to know more, they can drop me a mail or call me and I will pass on the details.

If this does come to fruition and gains the backing of the industry media, it could mean that it gets the exposure and credibilty, with that hopefully some of the more disliked training providers with their unwelcome marketing may lose their easy market
(note: this is not an RBI initiative, nor am I personally involved in any way)

nice to see this sticky hopefully help people before they get stung :smiley:

These threads may have something to do with the first post…
YOU GOTTA READ THIS ONE !
HERE
AND HERE
AND HERE
DEFINITELY HERE :exclamation:
ANOTHER ONE !!

Taken from another thread.

dieseldave:
Questions for newbies to consider:
Do you actually need a middleman??
Do you think the middleman is working for free?? :wink:

And from yet another thread…

ROG:

dirty hands:
thanks dave jumping to silly conclusions because of all the bad things said about the training company im with,just going give it my best shot and get on with it,nice one mate if ok will ask for your advice if anything else happens along the way :slight_smile:

Many make the assumption that because the management of a company are, shall we say, less than desirable, it must follow therfore, that the ethos runs through the whole organisation. In the majority of cases, where LGV training is concerned, this is not true. The LGV instructors of such companies are no different than those who are not employed or used by them. There are many posts on this site that are testament to that. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

burnie1:
My advice to anybody is always do an assessment drive before you part with all that money. Pay by credit card.

Only train with companies that have their own trucks and instructors as all you are doing is paying a middle man

after clearstones demise ive noticed at least 4 companys advertising in the national press,fancy adverts :question:
if you cant find a training school thats in the yellow pages dont use them.
there are a lot of good training providers out there.
talk to them direct ,PAY THEM A VISIT BEFORE YOU HAND OVER ANY MONEY.

scania245 wrote:-

if you cant find a training school thats in the yellow pages dont use them

I’m not quite sure why that is scania245? I’m a DSA registered instructor, but I don’t advertise at all in yellow pages!

As well as my junk mail in the letterbox. I get quite a lot in my spambox too, this morning I was sent Fresh links to companies offering Easy driver training, driver jobs and basically talking people out of hard earned money on false promises.

So these, and the original 4 or 5 companies are all offering the same thing by using links or banner adverts to DSA, FTA. RHA, as well as OCRS and VOSA which suggest they are accredited training providers

This, as well as the suggestion to frighten people into parting with a considerable amount of money for expensive training using these “Recommended” companies.

In the case of “the middleman” who is advertising in the Telegraph and Times newspaper as well as the popular redtops, they offer thousands of highly paid jobs, some of which are in my area, when I click on these jobs, they have long gone or never existed, certainly not at the rates advertised.

Another one was offering jobs with the main bluechip companies and naming them, these are companies that do not run their own trucks but use the big 5 contract hauliers, such as DHL or Wincanton

Of course I realise, that it is a clever marketing tool, and “let the buyer beware” etc, I just feel by using the links to the DSA. DfT. etc they are very misleading and should be highlighted to save gullible people being duped,

There are tens, if not hundreds of people on this site who after spending upwards of a thousand quid to get their Category C licence to find, they cannot get jobs, they have no experience, and more of them suddenly realise that to earn these 30 to 40k super salaries, they have to do 15 hour days while sleeping in a tin box.

Drivers will tell you the truth about a company. The boss of the traditional transport company will tell you if he needs drivers. The supply chain, logistics department or distribution centre graduates are not as honest.

Transport is not a closed shop, but I feel as though there are people coming into this industry who should be taking gentlemens inside leg measurements or selling clotted cream. These same people have read the hype, seen the alleged shortage of 80,000 drivers and jumped ship from their secure 9 till 5 boredom to “be their own boss” “work to suit yourself” “just you, the open road, and your favourite radio station” Reality, sadly is not as exciting.

Saturday Rant… it’s like Clarkson without the humour :wink:

There seems to be a lot of advice around as to where NOT to go for training - can anyone recommend a good company in the Bedford/ MK/ Northampton area? Cheers.

Fugu
So that this gets the attention instead of hiding here, I hope you don’t mind but I’m going to start a new thread and call it - NEW MEMBER (fugu) - training Bedford/ MK/ Northampton - and I will quote your first post - the one above this.

Thanks Rog - that’s fine by me

And most of all, bear in mind, there is no driver shortage, quite the opposite.

Well lots hope this is the first of many :smiley:

Any training company worth its salt would never sell a driving course to someone without assessing their ability first.

Anyone looking for the cheapest possible way of doing your LGV/PCV licence will get just that-CHEAP and NASTY TRAINING
Nobody wants to be ripped off(we have government agencies for that :smiling_imp: )

There are very good training schools all over the country who will give you very good service for a fair price. The key is to ASK AROUND- cant beat word of mouth recommendations

chevmac:
Well lots hope this is the first of many :smiley:

Any training company worth its salt would never sell a driving course to someone without assessing their ability first.

Anyone looking for the cheapest possible way of doing your LGV/PCV licence will get just that-CHEAP and NASTY TRAINING
Nobody wants to be ripped off(we have government agencies for that :smiling_imp: )

There are very good traing schools all over the country who will give you very good service for a fair price. The key is to ASK AROUND- cant beat word of mouth recommendations

:smiley: Hi chevmac, WELCOME. :grimacing:

I doff my hat in your direction, because I couldn’t have put that any better myself. :wink:

dieseldave:
:smiley: Hi chevmac, WELCOME. :grimacing:

I doff my hat in your direction, because I couldn’t have put that any better myself. :wink:

:smiley: Thanks for that dieseldave
It’s a real shame that so many people are fooled by the websites that offer everything in the world- and normally fail to deliver any of it. :cry:
I hear so many stories about people paying £2000-3000 to a company who dont even do the training themselves.It is no more than
HIGHWAY ROBBERY
at least ■■■■ Turpin wore a mask :wink:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome chevmac :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

NICE TO HAVE ANOTHER INSTRUCTOR JOIN THE RANKS :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve left in my usual welcome to newbies (below) so you can have a look at it and make comments and any suggestions will be most welcome :smiley:

GENERAL DRIVING TIPS BEFORE STARTING LGV C TRAINING (Link)

If you click the link in my signature or these truck pics

it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot more info which may be of use to you for C or C+E ARTIC training.

BEFORE you book your training, READ THIS… & THIS - I suggest visiting the training school, meeting the head person(s) and have a quick look at the truck BEFORE parting with any money.

Recommended LGV training schools

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics, Driver CPC, Getting 1st LGV Licence and much more…

These posts might interest you and warrant some comments…

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p … highlight=

Cheers ROG :smiley:
Will check out some of your links over the next few visits

chevmac:
Cheers ROG :smiley:
Will check out some of your links over the next few visits

I’m curious - are you with THIS OUTFIT :question:

ROG: