Training in Scotland help

Hi folks, at the age of 30 I have decided to finally get my license seen as I can just about afford to do it but looking for training advice on theses companies and any feedback on them. I will be looking to ideally do my cat c+e combined but not adverse to starting at c first

The companies are;

Easy as HGV
Scania Newbridge Edinburgh
GTG

Thanks for any help in advance

emac1ennan:
Hi folks, at the age of 30 I have decided to finally get my license seen as I can just about afford to do it but looking for training advice on theses companies and any feedback on them. I will be looking to ideally do my cat c+e combined but not adverse to starting at c first

The companies are;

Easy as HGV
Scania Newbridge Edinburgh
GTG

Thanks for any help in advance

the first is a broker and not a training school

I strongly suggest you check out all the stickies near the top of this forum

Also check out recent posts from newbies who have passed for what the job market is like for newbies

As Rog said the 1st is a broker avoid like the plaque

Go visit the companies speak with the trainers have a look round see how you feel / like before parting with any money

You have to do your Cat C 1st then CE

I went out of area for my CE stayed in a B&B know a lot of other people have done this as well I used Flair training in Chelmsford found John to be very good

As above, but add Richies of Glasgow to your list. They are one of the very few DSA Accredited LGV Training Centres.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Just done my c+e with Jim Mair driver training Kilmarnock ,excellent company did my cat c with them back in August as well , very reasonable with prices well worth a visit ,as the guys have said be careful, don’t get hamstrung with a broker do your research , get it wrong and it can be expensive ,read reviews on TNUK of companies that are recommended and you won’t go far wrong , all the best and keep us posted of your progress .

There is McPersons Training in Elgin.

Really good bunch, would recomend!

Try LAGTA , they carry out training throughout central Scotland .

shugg:

I used LAGTA for my cat C training about 5 years ago and to say they were poor was an understatement

it was 2-1 training and the other guy had already walk out couple months before because the trainer he had first time was a complete c@@k (his words) but the company he worked for made him go back to finish the course, so he ended up with me and a new trainer, well that’s were it got poor because new trainer was even worse (his words again) and I have to agree he was an old git who had no people skills what so ever

you could even tell he was being awkward with the other guy because of the fallout from before, and when I asked him to give it a rest, because its off putting when your trying to learn and takes away the enjoyment of it, that went down like a lead balloon so he became awkward with me, even telling me before I walked out to the truck for my test that I would fail, then when I came back with a pass with only 3minors his reply was the tester must have been sleeping for too pass you

never found out how the other guy got on because his test was later in the day but he was a bag of nerves and I put it down to the poor training

again this was 5 years ago and things an people do change

please don’t take this is as an attack towards LAGTA because its not, its only my opinion

on a lighter note I did my C-E traning with Ritchies in Glasgow and couldn’t fault them

Thanks for the heads up so far guys, spoken to GTG today and hoping to speak to Scania tomorrow and then go see the site Friday, keen to move things on quickly, GTG tell me that the full process can take about 3 months to get going from starter pack/medical/provisional etc, this sound about right?

Will keep updated

It can take 3 months because there is a lot of waiting for the red tape to be sorted after you have jumped through each hoop in the correct order.I think that to go up to C+E will set you back at least £3000.The examiner can fail you for the most pernickety of reasons.Stay glued to this forum and learn from Youtube as well.I hope that it works out for you.

Being the ones with experience what can I expect. I regard myself a very good driver, hand on heart not many cars in this world I haven’t driven (Bugatti, Ferrari, astons etc) but biggest thing I’ve driven is transits and lutons so far, how can I prepare for the size difference?

Have a word with Jim at CTTS in Bathgate - I’m happy to recommend them.

As regards driven things before - makes not a blind bit of difference.

I’ve got car/bike/glider/microlight and was at test standard for group A aircraft. Driving trucks is like nothing else. You’ll find yourself looking barely out of the cab let alone at the full extreme of your vision both in front and in back. The only cure is to get out there and drive them.

Enjoy and good luck, its great fun.

Gareth

smallsie:

shugg:

I used LAGTA for my cat C training about 5 years ago and to say they were poor was an understatement

it was 2-1 training and the other guy had already walk out couple months before because the trainer he had first time was a complete c@@k (his words) but the company he worked for made him go back to finish the course, so he ended up with me and a new trainer, well that’s were it got poor because new trainer was even worse (his words again) and I have to agree he was an old git who had no people skills what so ever

you could even tell he was being awkward with the other guy because of the fallout from before, and when I asked him to give it a rest, because its off putting when your trying to learn and takes away the enjoyment of it, that went down like a lead balloon so he became awkward with me, even telling me before I walked out to the truck for my test that I would fail, then when I came back with a pass with only 3minors his reply was the tester must have been sleeping for too pass you

never found out how the other guy got on because his test was later in the day but he was a bag of nerves and I put it down to the poor training

again this was 5 years ago and things an people do change

please don’t take this is as an attack towards LAGTA because its not, its only my opinion

on a lighter note I did my C-E traning with Ritchies in Glasgow and couldn’t fault them

I’m supposed to be doing my ADR with this outfit in January, you make me hesitate lol. I just don’t fancy spending a week in a glasgow hotel away from my newborn daughter, leaving my partner in the ■■■■!

What to do… :confused:

Ryy86:
I’m supposed to be doing my ADR with this outfit in January, you make me hesitate lol. I just don’t fancy spending a week in a glasgow hotel away from my newborn daughter, leaving my partner in the [zb]!

What to do… :confused:

remember this was 5 years ago and things may have changed, but in the time i have been a member on here i haven’t read about anybody doing any training with them which i find strange if there are men’t to be a big company

plus i stay local to there base in eurocental and have heard couple things about them and not in the positive manor

Jim Mair Driving Training in Fenwick, done both of my categories with them and cannot recommend them enough.

doing mine with Jim at CTTS in Bathgate next week

As a couple have said, I would recommend CTTS I did a refresher with them and they were very good.

Might also be worth while looking at training schools here in northern ireland, ive heard of a lot of folk coming over and getting a b+b for the training week as it works out a lot cheaper. Both my cat c and cat c+e were £600 for training(each) and £66 test fee

That is a good deal in N.Ireland.I was quoted £1050. to upgrade my C to C+E with the test fee on top of that.