Bedford Lorries, you used to see them everywhere

One from the archives an ‘O’ Type Bedford van operated by BRS makes it’s way through the centre of Nelson Lancashire.

Hi , Folks , The BRS van looks like like an Austin to m? Cheers Barry

From a distance it looked like an ‘O’ Type to me.

Before my time there.

Bedford Sc.jpg

Still going I think

An S Type Bedford in the midst of the action on King Cross Street Halifax in the mid 1960’s

moomooland:
0An S Type Bedford in the midst of the action on King Cross Street Halifax in the mid 1960’s

Thats a great photo Mr M, plus all British made stuf ffrom The good old days, Thank you for posting this great stuff from the past, Regards Larry.

moomooland:
0One from the archives an ‘O’ Type Bedford van operated by BRS makes it’s way through the centre of Nelson Lancashire.

Rabbits can’t have been on “the ration” then ! Cheers Dennis :wink:

Lawrence Dunbar:

moomooland:
An S Type Bedford in the midst of the action on King Cross Street Halifax in the mid 1960’s

Thats a great photo Mr M, plus all British made stuf ffrom The good old days, Thank you for posting this great stuff from the past, Regards Larry.

Thanks Larry, even better detail if you click on the picture a couple of times.
According to the clock it was taken at 14.35 :smiley:

Bewick:

moomooland:
0One from the archives an ‘O’ Type Bedford van operated by BRS makes it’s way through the centre of Nelson Lancashire.

Rabbits can’t have been on “the ration” then ! Cheers Dennis :wink:

Hi Dennis, Rabbits were never on the Ration in my day I used to snare Rabbits when I was a boy totaley out of control, My Old Man was allways ■■■■■■ so I only had to answer to my good old Mam, Who did in fact turn a blind eye to my poaching ways, But of course there was a bloody war going on so one had to do what one had to do just to survive when rationing came into force,So Im still here today enjoying whatever years Ive got left , Enjoying a few of my Single Malts pureley for medicinal purposes of course, But there again I must admit I dont need Medicinal stuff, & If I did I would have to make an appointment , then when I rang them to book a appointment it took ages for them to answer the bloody phone, So by the time one got booked in one had revived :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

I often wondered why there were no rabbits on the Toon Moor ! Now we know eh! :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:
I often wondered why there were no rabbits on the Toon Moor ! Now we know eh! :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well Dennis You must remember the old song Run Rabbit Run Rabbit Run, Well I must had run a bit faster Eh, :angry: :angry: :angry: , & chased them into my snares, :wink: :wink: :wink: , Regards Larry.

I was brought upby my grandparents on a little farm near Leek . Rabbit pie , pigeon pie were a staple in the war years and even crow pie if the rooks came too close . It must have been ok as I never ailed much until near retiring . In those times if it couldn’t run fast enough it got eaten .

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

rigsby:
I was brought upby my grandparents on a little farm near Leek . Rabbit pie , pigeon pie were a staple in the war years and even crow pie if the rooks came too close . It must have been ok as I never ailed much until near retiring . In those times if it couldn’t run fast enough it got eaten .

moomooland:
From a distance it looked like an ‘O’ Type to me.

That’s an M type. The lorry in Nelson is an Austin K4. I learnt all about the differences about 65 years ago, father drove for a firm who had a fleet of Bedford, K,M and O types, plus a few of the Austin equivalents. He loved his Bedfords, especially his last O type, the 12V one with the synchro box, but disliked the Austins. He wasn’t best pleased when they replaced his smooth powerful O with a 4 cylinder diesel Austin series 3.
Bernard

This add from a 1977 copy of the Commercial Motor

Sunters Bedford TM tackle wagon.

RAF Bedford ‘S’ Type heading down York Road in Leeds.

moomooland:
0RAF Bedford ‘S’ Type heading down York Road in Leeds.

The Bedford looks like a Royal Air Force lorry, hooked up to a “Queen Mary” trailer,
which were used to carry aircraft wings and fuselages. Ray Smyth.