Bedford Lorries, you used to see them everywhere

Bewick:
I think this S Type of Wearing Bros. of Flookburgh was a 7tonner . It had the Leyland engine and a 2 speed axle. It’s shot here standing at Kendal circa 1961 and was loaded with two plates ex Glasgow which were destined for Walker Steel at Bolton. Cheers Bewick.

Hi Dennis, You must have had a few Bollingers, It Was Walkers Steel Blackburn IIRC, Hi Hi Hic, :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: , Regards Larry.

Fully loaded Bedford TK in the crawler lane on Telegraph Hill Devon with an Atki in hot pursuit.

Bewick:
I think this S Type of Wearing Bros. of Flookburgh was a 7tonner . It had the Leyland engine and a 2 speed axle. It’s shot here standing at Kendal circa 1961 and was loaded with two plates ex Glasgow which were destined for Walker Steel at Bolton. Cheers Bewick.

Hi Dennis, The S Type was one of my fave motors, My late uncle Isaac Smiles had a lot of them as Tippers with the Leyland engines in, They later went on to run some with the Bedford s own engines in Not the best but they did OK, Regards Larry…This one of course was used on distance work running to South Wales with firs bricks for RTB At Llanwern, The driver was the late late Bob Smiles one of the Smiles & Co familey, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Hi Dennis, You must have had a few Bollingers, It Was Walkers Steel Blackburn IIRC, Hi Hi Hic, :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: , Regards Larry.

Honestly it was Bolton Larry ! but I will stand corrected as it could have been another firm the plate was delivered to. I would be 14 at the time and I remember that once tipped we ran to Liverpool and loaded 10 of T & L sugar back to a Wholesale Grocer in Kendal. Long time ago eh! Cheers Dennis.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Hi Dennis, The S Type was one of my fave motors, My late uncle Isaac Smiles had a lot of them as Tippers with the Leyland engines in, They later went on to run some with the Bedford s own engines in Not the best but they did OK, Regards Larry…This one of course was used on distance work running to South Wales with firs bricks for RTB At Llanwern, The driver was the late late Bob Smiles one of the Smiles & Co familey, Regards Larry.0

Great shot of a motor run by a great old firm Larry ! one thing that always amused me was that the light switch was on the dash right in front of the steering column ! Which wasn’t in the best place for all the “flashing in” etc that went on in those far off days . Cheers Dennis.

Just to add to the Bedford S type strange engine interest , I can recall Russell of Bathgate running S type tractor units with 4 in line trailers fitted with Albion 4 cyl engines around the late 50s . Who carried out the conversions etc I have no information unfortunately .

This ‘S’ Type Bedford four wheeler, Reg No 844 ETC, was operated by Jack Bradley of Accrington.
Driven at the time by the late Peter Davison he recalled…
“I took the picture in 1962 at the Dusty Miller Café which closed in the 70’s/80’s on the A56 Whalley Road, Shuttleworth.
This was the very first lorry that I drove for a living and i had collected the two A.C.C.S. containers from Preston Docks”.

Another picture sent to me by the late Peter Davison.
This ‘S’ Type Bedford four wheeler, operated by Jack Bradley of Accrington, came to grief in 1964.
Driven at the time by Peter he recalled…
“Unfortunately I was the driver of this ‘S’ Type Bedford when we had this mishap in Accrington Road Intack, Blackburn.
The cause of the accident was a combination of black ice and inexperience as i was only 21 at the time”.

shugg:
Just to add to the Bedford S type strange engine interest , I can recall Russell of Bathgate running S type tractor units with 4 in line trailers fitted with Albion 4 cyl engines around the late 50s . Who carried out the conversions etc I have no information unfortunately .

One company fitted BMC 5.1 diesels into their S Types as most of their fleet was already BMC. Gardner 4 potters was another conversion, I came across a few TK’s with those fitted.

Pete.

windrush:

shugg:

One company fitted BMC 5.1 diesels into their S Types as most of their fleet was already BMC. Gardner 4 potters was another conversion, I came across a few TK’s with those fitted.

Pete.

There was a Haulier from Morpeth , Ozzy Elliot ran one fitted with a 4 cylinder Meadows, The next time I see the driver who had it I will ask him if he has any photos etc, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

windrush:

shugg:

Pete.

There was a Haulier from Morpeth , Ozzy Elliot ran one fitted with a 4 cylinder Meadows, The next time I see the driver who had it I will ask him if he has any photos etc, Regards Larry.

That sounds like desperation to me Larry ! I wonder if he replaced the Bedford 300 engine with the Meadows ? Surely the Leyland 350/375 would have been a better proposition ? Cheers Dennis.

George Neville at Mansfield did a conversion kit for fitting the Meadows engine in O type bedfords, there is a road test of one in the CM archives and it performed well for that time. The hill climbing test was done going up to Riber at Matlock loaded in winter, 1 in 3 in places with hairpin bends, I would think twice about going up there in my car! :open_mouth: He also made a tilt cab for the O type in forward control mode, Hoveringham had many of them.

Pete.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

There was a Watsons Steel in Bolton, Lostock Lane. May it have been them.

Ray

moomooland:
This ‘S’ Type Bedford four wheeler, Reg No 844 ETC, was operated by Jack Bradley of Accrington.
Driven at the time by the late Peter Davison he recalled…
“I took the picture in 1962 on a bit of spare land just off Broughton Lane in Salford, behind a cafe that Bradley’s drivers
were using quite a bit at the time.
This was the very first lorry that I drove for a living and i had collected the two A.C.C.S. containers from Preston Docks”.

009%20-%20Bedford%20S-Type%20-%20Jack%20Bradley%20-1963.jpg

Hi Paul, the green, green hills of Salford. :smiley:
Eh up Chuck, I thought that you might of recognised it as being the car park of The Dusty Miller Café which closed in the 70’s/80’s on the A56 Whalley Road, Shuttleworth. I wonder if Harry Gill had a few pots of tea in there when he was driving for Stringfellows. :unamused:

google.com/maps/@53.6574972 … 312!8i6656

Regards Steve.

mushroomman:

moomooland:
Hi Paul I thought that you might of recognised it as being the car park of The Dusty Miller Café which closed in the 70’s/80’s on the A56 Whalley Road, Shuttleworth. I wonder if Harry Gill had a few pots of tea in there when he was driving for Stringfellows. :unamused: Regards Steve.

Of course it is. :blush:
I got the descriptions mixed up in my files the picture Peter was referring to in Salford was the one below Thanks Steve.

Neat.

Bedford S type having just crossed the Tamar Bridge.

Bedford Containerway.jpgThis was one of a number of Bedfords used on internal use for British Railways at Parkstone Quay.
This particular Bedford TK was a tipper chassis fitted with a lifting fifth wheel.

tkwheely.JPG

Bedford PL-001.jpg