Bedford Lorries, you used to see them everywhere

The first Bedford TK off the production line on the 4th of August 1960

moomooland:
0The first Bedford TK off the production line on the 4th of August 1960

I’m not after starting another “Big J” type thread but there is something not adding up here ! I am certain that the first TK’s appeared in 1959 as I recall a local tipper operator in the next village to where I grew up “as a Lad” got one and that was definitely in 1959 ! Leyland 600 will probably be able help with this one, well he knows the firm I’m talking about . Cheers Bewick.

That’s a bit weird- my old chap had a new TK in June, 1960 and it had been to the bodybuilders for a while before, having a livestock container made.

coomsey:
Nmp

By gum, This must be one of the good ones, IIRC It was new to Taits of Haydonbridge, Then a late pal of mine Eric Dews had it hauling coke out of Norwood Plant Gateshead, It seems that it has changed hands many times, Im not a lover of the TK Or KM Range but its nice to see that a quantity of these have been well looked after, & Still about, Regards Larry.

Now then Larry ROF and me need some support with regard to the year the first TK appeared on the road ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Now then Larry ROF and me need some support with regard to the year the first TK appeared on the road ! Cheers Dennis.

Dennis my good friend I drove a brand new TK With a Bedford 300 engine in It was an artic with the old Scammell Auto coupling, The only two good things about this useless motor It had a two speed axle & a good heater If it didnt have the two speed axle I would have refused to drive it It couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding, I used to run to Manchester with 12 to 14 Tons of Bacon I was in bottom gear just getting off the Newcastle Quayside to Gateshead, Baxter had three of these & they nearley put him out of the game, Of course they were under warrantey & they spent more time back a Adams & Gibbon Ltd The main dealers in Newcastle, Regards Larry. PS The reg was 726NVK, The other two 725/727. NVK.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Dennis my good friend I drove a brand new TK With a Bedford 300 engine in It was an artic with the old Scammell Auto coupling, The only two good things about this useless motor It had a two speed axle & a good heater If it didnt have the two speed axle I would have refused to drive it It couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding, I used to run to Manchester with 12 to 14 Tons of Bacon I was in bottom gear just getting off the Newcastle Quayside to Gateshead, Baxter had three of these & they nearley put him out of the game, Of course they were under warrantey & they spent more time back a Adams & Gibbon Ltd The main dealers in Newcastle, Regards Larry. PS The reg was 726NVK, The other two 725/727. NVK.

What year Larry ? WHAT YEAR ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

What year Larry ? WHAT YEAR ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis, 60/61, These were the most under powered motors I had ever come across, Baxter went on to replace them with ERF , S But still with the Scammell couplings, A very bad move IMO, In 1966 I got a new Dodge Unit JTN 222 D, With a proper 5th wheel, It had a 6354 NA Perkins engine with a 5 speed ENV Gear box with the good old Eaton two speed axle, It was a good motor to drive and I made some good wages driving it , Mostley running London area loaded both ways, I must say that the return loads were of my own making but I allways got good rewards from Jonnie Baxter for my efforts, Regards Larry.

Thanks for the gen Larry although interesting as to why some firms still used the Scammell coupling instead of changing onto the 5th wheel. No brainer I would have thought ! Cheers Dennis.

So Lads we are still looking for further confirmation re. when did the first TK’s appear on the road. Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
So Lads we are still looking for further confirmation re. when did the first TK’s appear on the road. Cheers Bewick.

According to the tinternet 1959. However, according to the book The Bedford Story it was 6th September 1960! :laughing:

Pete.

Here we go again!
And how many TKs with 240 Gardners did SoM run?

Two for the price of one. :smiley:

Bewick:
Thanks for the gen Larry although interesting as to why some firms still used the Scammell coupling instead of changing onto the 5th wheel. No brainer I would have thought ! Cheers Dennis.

Too mean to buy new trailers?! Lots of Scammell trailers on the fleet? If you were swapping trailers often the Scammell was very convenient, but trunking was quite another matter…

A few more Bedfords from the past

Bibbys of Ingleton Bedford.JPG

Bewick:

The Bedford TK is a truck that was produced by Bedford. Launched in 1959 to replace the Bedford S type, the TK was scheduled to be replaced by the Bedford TL in 1981, but manufacturing of the TK continued as a cheaper alternative.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Here we go again!

I’ve had a word with a Pal from Dunstable who worked in the Bedford plant and he assures me that there was either 39 or 40 built with the 8LXB engine and they all went into the SOM fleet. Gospel ! :wink: Cheers Bewick.

But did they get any further than ■■■■■■■■ I’d lay a fiver to a shilling that your young brother ended up with one of them. And you probably charged him full price for it, as well! :unamused:
Just wait until young Dan & I start our exploratory tours of t’fells- if we were to find an “almost new” 330 Bedford lump among all those Gardners and ■■■■■■■■ you could be in serious lumber.

But I’m sure we could be bribed………………….

Bewick:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Here we go again!

I’ve had a word with a Pal from Dunstable who worked in the Bedford plant and he assures me that there was either 39 or 40 built with the 8LXB engine and they all went into the SOM fleet. Gospel ! :wink: Cheers Bewick.

I am sure that I remember seeing a Bedford KE, belonging to Stampers, fitted with a Gardner on Southwaite Services somewhere about 1973.

Cheers

Peter