Bedford Lorries, you used to see them everywhere

This Bedford had a Bedford engine, the previous ones were all Leyland Powered which the drivers liked better, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0This Bedford had a Bedford engine, the previous ones were all Leyland Powered which the drivers liked better, Regards Larry.

Great shot that Larry,so this Bedford was your “real” motor at Smiles eh! The driver of the AEC MM only let you sit in it for photography purposes so you could flash it round the club when you were a young up and coming driver !!! Those were the days eh! Cheers Dennis.

Old Bedford T Ks are still to be seen on the island of Malta. This one was still in use.
There was a gang of workmen working in the centre of Valletta , the capital of Malta , when I took this photograph
a couple of years ago. The old timer looked in decent condition for its age.

The colour scheme of the T K remind me of the earlier livery of the one used by Fred Greenwood & Son , the
Yorkshire-based livestock transporters.

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

I spent many hours as a young lad in the passenger seat of TTC 57, (new in about 1953), a Bedford S Type, fitted with a Perkins R6 engine, which blew itself up on more than one occasion, and a later Bedford S Type 914 CTE (new in 1958) with Bedford diesel engine. Both were owned by Fred and Raymond Holden of Bolton, running on ‘A’ Licences and the first S Type was bought second hand, but the second one was the first brand new lorry they bought. It was these two Bedfords that aroused my interest in lorries and road haulage. They replaced a wartime built Leyland Lynx and an Atkinson with Gardner 4LK engine.

In May 2011, I attended the Malta Truck & Bus Rally .

Among the numerous interesting exhibits , was this very tidy M Type Bedford , complete with Bedford
pennant proudly displayed on the front of the bonnet.

Is that one of Croppers Seddons next to it Dennis

This Bedford WLG , reg. no. CTN 945 , was the first wagon my father bought, in 1947.
He bought it second-hand from R. Kelso of Lazonby, ( later to become Fellside Transport ), ■■■■■■■■■■■
It had a demountable livestock body , made by the Kelso family.

Sadly , this sentimental photograph is of poor quality, but still worthy of being shown.

mrken:
Is that one of Croppers Seddons next to it Dennis

Sorry I should have mentioned that,it was indeed a James Cropper Seddon 6 wheeler which was fairly new at that date.It was driven by Colin Veevers who lived around the corner from where it is parked.Colin was a long serving driver at Croppers and he did get the first Steel cab 32/4 RR Seddon at Croppers in 1968 FJM 422 F (IIRC) although they had been running Seddon artics since about 1965.All the Cropper 6 wheelers had the Leyland engines 375 and 400 but their last one had the 600 engine and they kept this one on extented service which was driven by the late Frank Forrest until he retired in the 70’s,he then continued driving coaches for a local operator for a few years,mainly on their school contract.Both Colin and Frank were great characters,I used stay in digs with them in Markyate and Aldgate when I was running up and down to London.Although I did a number of loads out of Croppers mill when I first started as an owner driver they ran quite a large own account operation so it was always a bit “hitty missy” so I gradually concentrated on Libby’s traffic and,of course,Henry Cookes mill in Beetham where Bewick Transport eventually became sole contractor.I would have had all of Croppers traffic if things had gone to plan,but thats another story !! Cheers Dennis.

carryfast was right ,in a way couse one from our isle was married to a bedford dealer,the firedepartment (after sauna and beer,supose) bought a rocket to firefighter to the ireland ,a petrol 8tonner 16"weels 100hp?(never felt them,even if drived and take care of it for some time) whit a1,5 m3 watertank full,and bluelight,s it was a f…to go :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: cheers benkku

My abiding memory is, as a lad, climbing into the cab of Haydon’s E reg TK (with a Leyland 400) and pressing the brake pedal just to hear the “shwee woo” - you know the noise I mean, but it’s virtually impossible to write.

Here are 2 other Haydon Bedfords - one from 1960 one from the late 80s

cattle wagon man:
This Bedford WLG , reg. no. CTN 945 , was the first wagon my father bought, in 1947.
He bought it second-hand from R. Kelso of Lazonby, ( later to become Fellside Transport ), ■■■■■■■■■■■
It had a demountable livestock body , made by the Kelso family.

Sadly , this sentimental photograph is of poor quality, but still worthy of being shown.

Never theless this is still a good photo of a 1936 Bedford, It is a Newcastle reg, I wonder if it was supplied by Adams & Gibbon who were the main dealers in Newcastle at that time, My pal from Seaton Burn had two 1936,s 7 the were DBB Regs also Newcastle, Great stuff, keep them coming, Regards Larry.

Bloody hell L arry you re doing well 1936 and 7 ow old does that makeyou , don t answer that becos yer best mate as nt found this thread yet or is he too embarrased to put his usual bs on here, give him time and i m sure like the proverbial bad penny he ll turn up. I liked the S type i drove in the army and i liked the TK i drove later, they really were nice wagons for their day. Crow.

The late Derek Gough RIP who died earlier this year aged 84,boss of A E Gough & Sons of Llandrindod Wells Radnorshire,seen by his S type Bedford in the late 1950’s and below with his dads first lorry in the 1930’s also beleived to be a Bedford.

You didn’t see many of these! This is CM’s 40tonne roadtest of a 394bhp TM4400 in 1980:

The magazine tried four other vehicles, whose fuel consumption ranged from 6.3 to 6.7mpg, at average speeds from 38.0 to 40.1mph. In the defence of the Detroit engine, the Bedford had done less than 1,000 miles, so its 5.6mpg may not be completely representative. That wind deflector cannot have helped either- it looks as if it may increase wind drag. Why did Bedford not submit a properly-prepared vehicle, I wonder?

Is that Carryfast I can hear,bearing down to 'nause another thread up ■■? Bewick.

Bewick:
Is that Carryfast I can hear,bearing down to 'nause another thread up ■■? Bewick.

Hopefully not- he can’t present his usual fandango of half-truths, pure invention and mangled theory, given that the magazine article presents hard, unambiguous evidence- can he?

Bewick:

Don’t be too sure Anorak,the “Bold One” could start an argument with himself on a desert island !!!Bewick.

Bewick:

Bewick:

Don’t be too sure Anorak,the “Bold One” could start an argument with himself on a desert island !!!Bewick.

Did you ever consider these as a purchase, Mr. Bewick? There was a ■■■■■■■ E290 and E370 version about the same time- possible alternatives to the Scania 112 and 142?

[zb]
anorak:

Bewick:

Bewick:

Did you ever consider these as a purchase, Mr. Bewick? There was a ■■■■■■■ E290 and E370 version about the same time- possible alternatives to the Scania 112 and 142?

There was not a “snowballs chance in Hell” Anorak of me ever considering one of those TM’s !! I had to hold my nose to let a couple of IVECOS and the occaisional DAF and MAN Demos into the fleet over the years !! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

[zb]
anorak:

Bewick:

Bewick:

There was not a “snowballs chance in Hell” Anorak of me ever considering one of those TM’s !! I had to hold my nose to let a couple of IVECOS and the occaisional DAF and MAN Demos into the fleet over the years !! Cheers Bewick.

■■■■■■■■ Fuller, Rockwell, all topped off with a nice cab. What’s not to like?