Axminster transport

Hi Steve yes it was I think Adrian Clarke from bridport drove it at one time.

Hiya,XYC 75X on the left of this pic,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Great picture Bubbleman that’s the one in question, thank you and please feel free to add anything you can.
You obviously have a great collection of photos .Thanks Cliff.
It is with great sadness to say Gordy Knowlton died this morning a long time friend and work colleague from Poole known to everyone who used Truckline Ferries. R.I.P Gordy. Sincere condolences to all family and friends.

Hi Cliff,Heres EDV 225T which I caught at Pont Abrahams Services at the end of the M4,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Nice one mate that’s the one I had from new don’t know if I was still driving it at the time I left Axminster in 1986, those trailers were damned heavy the same as everyone else at the time they were converted from tandem to tri axle,Freight Bonnalac good trailer in their day.

Cliff luxton:
Great picture Bubbleman that’s the one in question, thank you and please feel free to add anything you can.
You obviously have a great collection of photos .Thanks Cliff.
It is with great sadness to say Gordy Knowlton died this morning a long time friend and work colleague from Poole known to everyone who used Truckline Ferries. R.I.P Gordy. Sincere condolences to all family and friends.

wow thanks bubb and clif i never thougt iwould see a photo of my old truck xyc75x minde you i had it when it was on its last legs…i think peter got rid of it when the dash had a fire electric fault i some times stayed overnight in a my dads house in london on grass verge out side his house near sheeperds bush try parking there now haha…ps excuse spelling steve…

You didn’t see this very often maybe on the same boat but not coming off together.

Here I am on my first weekend away Montreuil Bellay nice routier by the station delivered there many times afterwards. This pic will please you Dean.

Indeed it will Cliff, pure quality !! :smiley:

The other pic is a lovely period photo full of character,is that Cherbourg ? Whats the story behind it i
assume one of your motors was waiting to board and grabbed a pic as he seen you coming off ■■

It is Cherbourg can’t answer the rest of questions it would have been early morning and lucky to be in cab and not bar.This is really early days before the trailers were decorated.

Cliff and Dean , three coming off the boat together as you say cliff early days two uk fridges and the French registered chereau if you look at the fridge motor you can see the signs on it which said frigorifique viandes don’t know about the spelling French is a bit rusty after all these years . best trailer we ever had in my opinion for insulation and had trailer box and double spare wheel carrier really was the dogs nuts remember picking that up from chereau at avranches .Dennis

It’s one of the picture’s I’ve borrowed from Peter so there is a good chance he was waiting for the ferry to come in and took the photo himself.
Here’s another he let me have.This is a 6 wheel rigid flatbed driven by Tim Murrison.

Cliff luxton:
It is Cherbourg can’t answer the rest of questions it would have been early morning and lucky to be in cab and not bar.This is really early days before the trailers were decorated.

No i cant believe you would have been in the bar me old mucker that sounds most out of charachter
for you ! :open_mouth: :smiley: :laughing:

Cliff luxton:
It’s one of the picture’s I’ve borrowed from Peter so there is a good chance he was waiting for the ferry to come in and took the photo himself.
Here’s another he let me have.This is a 6 wheel rigid flatbed driven by Tim Murrison.

What a cracking little motor those F86 6 wheelers were my grandad had one and it used to leave his Guy and
Leyland for dead,they were fast motors in their day and dead reliable !

The Chereaux were indeed the nuts of the mutt Denis but hell were they heavy.
When we got ours on Grangewood Mike Smith had got a bit carried away and speced his ‘perfect’ middle east trailer - double insulation, full chassis, two boxes, belly tank, towbar etc etc. Fantastic quality alround indeed. They came home at Christmas time, were alocated to the drivers that were going to have them and on the first day of the New Year I went up to the yard and picked mine up for an empty run to Chard Meat to load on the 2nd. When I got on the weigh bridge matey refused to believe that I was empty. ‘Come in here and look at this’ he said. 18,700 kilos empty behind a 2 axle F12! And, of course, this was still in the days of 32 ton gross.
When Grangewood packed up they got sold to Greece and I have no doubt that they are still giving good service to some lucky chap out there.

David.

Good morning Mr Miller nice to hear from you again ,These were good trailers in their day I admit not as good as the chearue. A brand new Freight Bonnalac.

This is very early day’s, Sunday afternoon last services before Paris on our way into Rungis Jack Dunham, Roger White, on Central Road, Edgar and myself and Dave on Phelps and Davis.1974/5

Here is the boss man himself , Peter with one of the Volvo units going to be registered in France.

Cliff luxton:
This is very early day’s, Sunday afternoon last services before Paris on our way into Rungis Jack Dunham, Roger White, on Central Road, Edgar and myself and Dave on Phelps and Davis.1974/5

That must have been pretty slow going with the little f86s I expect the 111 & 88 driver were muttering and
cursing everytime you come to a hill ! :smiley: How the hell did you sleep in that Cliff you must be 6 foot ■■

Nice pic of the 240 f88

Heres a crap picture of some models someone made in the back of an old truck mag.

You have to remember, Dean, that it’s not the length that causes the problem it’s the girth :open_mouth:
Morning Cliff!

David

Come , Come gents we all know that 40 years ago most of us could squeeze up on the shelf of an F86 after a few vino collapso’s and have a fair nights kip and do it all again tomorrow after a few more cheers boys . dennis