Axminster transport

Cliff luxton:
Here we go Dean this is close to the beginning of Axminster Transport.

What’s the make of the truck at the end of the line up of 4 parked against the building,cant make it
out ?

I think it’s an old BMC Dean.
The boss loved these Leyland’s

DEANB:

Cliff luxton:

What’s the make of the truck at the end of the line up of 4 parked against the building,cant make it
out ?

It’s a BMC / Leyland FG ‘three-penny-bit’ lorry; the bigger (4-tonner?) version with the snout, I think. Robert

Thanks Robert, I thought it was.

This is were it really started for Peter with Axminster Transport.

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

Cliff luxton:

out ?

It’s a BMC / Leyland FG ‘three-penny-bit’ lorry; the bigger (4-tonner?) version with the snout, I think. Robert

What about those on the left? I’ll guess at another Leyland tractor in front, with a Ford D behind it.

I think your right anorak Leyland unit in front with D series 4 wheeler behind , the Ford was the first truck I drove when I started there in 1974.

Cliff luxton:
I think your right anorak Leyland unit in front with D series 4 wheeler behind , the Ford was the first truck I drove when I started there in 1974.

The motor by Dean asked about is a BMC FG fitted with the 6 pot diesel, hence the larger bonnet, a motor guaranteed to bring hearing problems later in life!

Thanks for that Pete. This is early day’s. Sorry for the damage to the photo.

This is before the CATS were introduced. Always looking to the future in transport was our boss started parcel delivery and small consignments very early on.

Early day’s delivering animal feed to the farms. Before my time again.

Loaded from Phoenix Engineering in Chard.

Same sort of load only a few more and at least a decade later.

Cliff luxton:
Same sort of load only a few more and at least a decade later.

Very mixed fleet, Cliff! Funny how some hauliers at that time had as many different makes as they had lorries, while others stuck to one manufacturer. I suspect it was those who bought 2nd hand that ended up with the most mixed fleets. Robert

Nice to see some new pics Cliff. Were the early ones a slighly different colour ?

Heres another new one.

axminster rtrain.PNG

Peter bought both new and second hand lorries first being a new F86 , then we had 2 new volvo F88 290 then he tried 4 new DAF 2800, a couple of second hand F88 240 in between then came the new Scania 141 x3 a couple of secondhand Mercs , then the new Volvo F10 x3 .that is just the Arctic’s as you can see there were Leyland 4 wheeler s , volvo 6 wheeler, Renault 4 wheeler , and of course the Berliet units new x3. So it was a real mixed fleet Robert, untill he changed completely to Leyland.
In the early day’s they were always the same colour Dean.

Gerry , and Andy ready for the off.

Cliff luxton:
Gerry , and Andy ready for the off.

Took a pic of the one on the left going through Wimborne when i was a kid.

Morning Cliff,
Found this on the web, not sure if it has been posted before? Cheer’s Pete

Try posting it again Pete no picture here,