Average speed cameras

GasGas:

adam277:

Biglew74:

edd1974:
Best bet is to drive through at 56 and see if you get a ticket. Then your know for sure if there working or not

I’ll pass on that mate [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I see truck drivers do it all the time. Heck I was in the passenger seat when he tried to explain to me that because the road isn’t straight I.e its never truly level and it bends the cameras will never clock your true speed. I suspect he’s right though unless they lowered the gotcha speed to like 53/54 mph average.
Dunno how true it is but he was still doing it when I left.

There’s a difference between the cameras that measure your speed at a fixed point (eg Gatso) and the average speed cameras

The latter are linked ANPR cameras set up measured distances apart. They record the time your number plate passes camera one and the time it passes camera two. They calculate your average speed on the time taken from one to the other, and if you do it too quickly they issue a ticket automatically.

I have also heard that they can clock you average between camera 1 and 6 or 2 and 7 for example.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

roadhog69:

sammym:

edd1974:
Best bet is to drive through at 56 and see if you get a ticket. Then your know for sure if there working or not

I drive through them at 56.

You are allowed 10% plus 2mph. So you’d have to be doing 57/58 before you get a ticket/course. Have to keep an eye on it if you are going downhill though.

Myth

I’m with you roadhog, it is a complete myth, especially since the speeding laws changed on the 24th of April.

woody2808:

roadhog69:

sammym:

edd1974:

You are allowed 10% plus 2mph. So you’d have to be doing 57/58 before you get a ticket/course. Have to keep an eye on it if you are going downhill though.

Myth

I’m with you roadhog, it is a complete myth, especially since the speeding laws changed on the 24th of April.

It is not a myth, at least for motorway speed cameras. 10%+1 = no ticket/course. 10%+2= ticket/course. Incidentally at 10%+9 you will not be given the option of a course.I did one of the new motorway awareness courses in March (50 in a 40 at 3.30 a.m.) and was told officially that this is a national guideline that all police forces have agreed to and had no plans to change this. This does not necessarily apply on the rest of the road network (although most forces do) and police vehicles can do you for even 1 mph over the limit, although this will normally be connected to another offence (e.g. careless/ dangerous driving or vehicle faults)

woody2808:

roadhog69:

sammym:

edd1974:

Myth

You lads better inform the CPS then… The people who take things to court. cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/r … ty-notices Have a look and come back and tell me how they are wrong and you are right.

El Deano:
[s

The latter are linked ANPR cameras set up measured distances apart. They record the time your number plate passes camera one and the time it passes camera two. They calculate your average speed on the time taken from one to the other, and if you do it too quickly they issue a ticket automatically.

I have also heard that they can clock you average between camera 1 and 6 or 2 and 7 for example.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
[/quote]
Indeed they can. They used to be really crude: ie only the cameras for each lane were linked, and you could fool the system by switching lanes before you got into the shot of the second camera, but that doesn’t work any more.

On the subject of speeding % I got a speed awareness course for 63 in a 50, just 1mph more and I would have had 3 points and a fine. Apparently.

[/quote]
You lads better inform the CPS then… The people who take things to court. cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/r … ty-notices Have a look and come back and tell me how they are wrong and you are right.
[/quote]
Scroll down and have a look at the table here Sammy, bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39686894

Quite clearly says that (in band A) you can possibly be looking at a fine and points for as little as 1mph over the limit. This is the very same table that our driver trainer used when these new laws came into force. If I’m still wrong then I apologise because I must be misreading it.

woody2808:

Quite clearly says that (in band A) you can possibly be looking at a fine and points for as little as 1mph over the limit. This is the very same table that our driver trainer used when these new laws came into force. If I’m still wrong then I apologise because I must be misreading it.

No disrespect or anything… But I’d rather chose to believe the CPS’s website rather than a news organisation.

Its similar with VOSA - technically if you are 1kg over 44t (if In tri axle uk artic) you are breaking the law. But they don’t prosecute at that level. VOSA/DVSA admitted this to me when I was tugged.

I’ve been through thosands of cameras over the limit but under the 10% plus 2 and I’ve never had an issue (expect mobile ones when I was well above 10% +2).

woody2808:

[/quote]

[/quote]
I think there are two different things quoted here: IF the CPS guidelines have not changed, the 10% + 2 mph allowance should still be used to decide WHETHER to prosecute.
The Sentencing table sets out the scale of fines/points/disqualifications which apply IF the driver IS prosecuted.

I may be wrong, it would be helpful if we had a proper legal decision on this.

sammym:

woody2808:

No disrespect or anything… But I’d rather chose to believe the CPS’s website rather than a news organisation.

Its similar with VOSA - technically if you are 1kg over 44t (if In tri axle uk artic) you are breaking the law. But they don’t prosecute at that level. VOSA/DVSA admitted this to me when I was tugged.

I’ve been through thosands of cameras over the limit but under the 10% plus 2 and I’ve never had an issue (expect mobile ones when I was well above 10% +2).

5% weight tolerance isn’t it? If so I can squeeze a couple more pallets on each trip :laughing:

[/quote]
The A695 at Prudhoe Northumberland heading west from the paper mill is 40mph, until about 200 yards before the roundabout it then changes to 30mph with a camera. The western side of the roundabout is 40mph. I have just received a NIP, exceeding the speed limit. 35mph!!! I have no-one to blame but myself but that camera is a blatant revenue earner. Your formula of speed,+ 10% +2mph is not working here.

RoadsRat:

dieseldog999:

toonsy:
That stretch of roadworks is roughly 15 miles long.

To drive that at 50mph will take about 18 minutes.

To drive it at 56mph will take about 16 minutes.

Is two minutes really worth the annoyance of being up the backside of the vehicle in front? Is it worth chancing three points and a fine or speed awareness course?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yep…worth every second though ive went through everything at 56 with no grief sofar…including the times ive forgotten to forget to put my rear number plate on. :slight_smile:

Must be really useful having no rear number plate for all those front facing cameras? :unamused:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oh the joys of having your front plate made to suit the liftable ferry tie down eye on a hinge…
oops,it must have not been clipped down correctly and blown up in the wind orificer.
il certainly make sure it never happens again.
obviously a mere oversight when the taliban unchained me before i came off the ferry. :wink: