Average speed cameras.

Ive noticed that when im driving through roadworks and they have average speed cameras and the speed limit is 50mph,there are lots of cars going past at much faster speeds.
I stick to about 48mph but these cars and some trucks just dont seem to slow down.

Are these cameras working or are they just dummy cameras ■■?

Ive noticed that they dont have miles of cables running along the grass verge anymore,linking the cameras together but i have noticed that on top of the cameras there is a little ariel,could they be wireless now.

Do these people know something i dont ■■?

i was wondering the same thing.
i was told if you enter a batch of cams in lane 1 for example. as long as you come out of them in a different lane then you wont get a fine.

not been brave enough to try it though…

Dont forget that a lot of people on the roads are iliterate and dont know what the word ‘average’ means so merely slow down for the camera and speed off again. I doubt you’d get done in a truck by going 55/56 though the whole thing but you never know. Before I left the UK I always went across the A14 between the A1 and M11 on the limiter and never got done for it. I was led to believe back then that the camera didnt know the difference between a truck and car so would be looking for vehicles breaking the 70mph limit. I dont know wether that is true or not, fact is I never got done for it and went through those cameras several dozens of times at 57mph.

thelorryist:
i was told if you enter a batch of cams in lane 1 for example. as long as you come out of them in a different lane then you wont get a fine.

That hasn’t been true since the very early days of this type of camera when the cameras were paired and linked by cable.

thelorryist:

That one is years old. On a 40 limit you can get away with 45 - Even get your speed up to 50 for short times.

Never had a ticket the whole time we had them up here, nearly 3 years!

I run at night and for last few years while they have been widening M25 i have gone through on limit 56/57mph five nights a week, no problems.

I been told by 2 traffic cops and a mate who works for Serco, that them on the A1 Dishforth-Barton are set at 65.
I wasn’t the first to test them, but our lads have been coming through them at 60 for the last 2 years.
I come through them at 62-63 on a night, have done for ages, never heard nowt.

My mate reckons only half of them work, them that do are set at 65. He should know, he set them up…

Theres government guidelines on prosecuting on speed camera readings, Speed Limit, plus 10%, plus 2 MPH.
So 30 limit = 35, 40 = 46, 50 = 57, 60 = 68.

That trick with swapping lanes worked for a short time, but not anymore.

EDIT: You can come through them in North Yorks on the limiter without problems.

TTX boy:
Ive noticed that when im driving through roadworks and they have average speed cameras and the speed limit is 50mph,there are lots of cars going past at much faster speeds.
I stick to about 48mph but these cars and some trucks just dont seem to slow down.

You’re doing an indicated 48 so in fact are going to to be doing nearer 45, well below the limit, so even those doing the limit will seem fast to you, and even further below what these cameras will be set at. I have it on pretty good authority, from someone in the know about these cameras, that they are set no lower than 57 mph.

Every Tuesday to Saturday early morning for the last 5 months I have come through the ones between J13 and J10 on the M1 at an indicated 56 and never had a ticket. I go through the ones at the M6/M1 junction at the same speed with the same result. For months I went through the ones on the M25 around the M11 on the limiter whenever possible, again no ticket. If they set them to be triggered too low they wouldn’t be able to cope with the amount of tickets generated.

They aren’t dummy cameras though because when I moved into my current place a year ago I kept getting mail for the last tenant and one day I opened one letter by mistake. It was a NIP for doing an average 62 mph through the Luton roadworks one night, complete with 3 or 4 very clear pictures of the vehicle and driver taken by different cameras. A while later I had the police at the door looking for the woman in connection with that and some other motoring offences including her bloke failing to appear in court in Coventry on a driving her car without insurance charge and resisting arrest. His first name was Honest but he clearly wasn’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

thelorryist:

The olde style cameras had an infra red sensor on them which glowed in the dark, so it could see you, but they were linked by a hard wire.

On the new ones I beleieve they are wireless, and to change lanes is folly, because there are usually some very small white spots painted on the blacktop just before them, so it won’t matter which lane your in, as it will get you anyhow.

Each SPECS3 camera acts as a network node, allowing cameras to communicate back to a
remote central Instation. This approach allows considerably greater flexibility and a lower
cost than the previous generation, where a dedicated, hard wired link between cameras
was required. Permanent SPECS installations typically deliver a 60% KSI reduction1; the
advances made with SPECS3 will allow these benefits to be applied more widely, in ways
not previously possible.
***** ***** ******** is the global leader in average speed enforcement technology. We offer an unrivalled level of experience, delivering and supporting practical, functional systems in a cost effective way.

Networking & Communications

The original SPECS system required local, hard wired communications between the linked pair of cameras. Whilst this still delivered an effective solution, it limited the system’s range and could prove costly to install. SPECS3 has been designed around a distributed architecture, allowing cameras to be placed over a wide area. Each camera node communicates back to a remote server, using one of a number of possible communication formats. These include wireless 3G, ADSL broadband or LAN/WAN networks, where available. In this way, a much longer route, or network of roads can be covered. This also allows for simpler control from the back office, removing the need for camera technicians to regularly visit the enforcement zone to collect violation data.
SPECS3

Still want to be brave?

Go ahead punk, make my day.

Ken.

Yeah, that (limit+10%+2mph) is the minimum, the ACPO advise not to prosecute below that figure to account for inaccuracies in the cameras :open_mouth: .

Someone complained on pepipoo.com fairly recently that, although they had well exceeded the speed limit at one point (and were somehow caught doing so), their average speed was within the maximum! They honestly seemed to think it was OK to exceed the speed limit despite the prohibition being an obvious maximum. In general though, if working, these types of camera (SPECS?) are likely to get you if your average speed exceeds the limit by a reasonably excessive amount (ACPO guidelines are 10% + 2mph so they say).

Coffeeholic:

TTX boy:

You’re doing an indicated 48 so in fact are going to to be doing nearer 45,

If you believe a sat-nav to be more accurate than a tacho then that is fiction. In some cases the tacho reads lower than the sat-nav.

We had this discussion recently. And I still go through them without worrying about them. I firmly believe them to be dummies. Never had a ticket, and according to some folk.(Who shall remain nameless for now!)
I don’t “hang about and am an aggressive driver”. :unamused:

i normally do 52, sat nav says 50mph.

i wouldnt want to be the one here chancing my luck and getting a ticket.

Thanks for your views on this.
I think for the sake of about 5-7 mph for about 3-4 miles im not gonna take any chances.
I dont wanna get a £60 fine and 3 points. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You won’t. And I have NEVER heard of a driver that has. FACT! :wink:

At the end of the day, one thing hasn’t been mentioned throughout this thread.

Its a 50MPH limit by law. That means your breaking the law by going through on your limiter. Personally I stick to the 50 and then I have no risk of getting a ticket.

Are SPECS operated by the police?
If not, then the ACPO guidelines might not apply.

Hiya…think of it lads who how many strangers walk up to you and say i’ve just been nicked on the road works,
some folk would’nt tell you anyway because the would’nt seen proffesional… a friend of mine was traveling along
the M1 this year between jct 12 and 13 it seemed the roadworks had finished and everyone put there foot down
but after about a mile there was more of the roadworks and more camera’s … yes a ticket come through the door
6 mph over…£60 three points the family motorhome insurance has gone up the kia 4x4 insurance the same
along with the classic lorry…how many of you know about the A130 basildon to chelsmford… when the new road opened
all the Essex crowd thought this was a raceway there was no speed signs on the new road. the court delt with a1000
drivers at a time in a large room. everyone had to attend this earing, there was then a special hearing for the over 100mph
crowd…i think this is in the guinness book of records… the most people in court for the same earing…
there was a speed camera at the southern end of the black wall tunnel when the new A 2 dual carrigeway was opened
through to the M25…wow it was great no more holdups…3000 cars per hour got nicked on the first day untill it was put
on the news about the 50mph speed limit…sneaky or what…how many people measure between lamposts.

TTX boy:
Thanks for your views on this.
I think for the sake of about 5-7 mph for about 3-4 miles im not gonna take any chances.
I dont wanna get a £60 fine and 3 points. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Same here,couldnt give a fairies f@rt if other drivers want to go thru at 56,Im paid by the hour,if it says 50,50 it is. :wink: