average speed cameras

having been out of the country for all of May I returned last week and noticed the average speed cameras on the A14 are now operational.Out of interest has anybody ever been caught by an average speed camera anywhere or are they as i think just a deteerant and really an urban myth.

I was in Nottingham last night and my sat nav speed camera alert was throwing up Specs on the A611 in 30 and 40 mph zones.
I did think it’s got be a mistake.
It’s got to be mobile or gatso??
Then I looked up and saw the vultures sitting on their posts.

the wife got caught by the average speed cameras on the a 616 stocksbridge near the steelworks doing 70mph on single carrigeway :blush:

average speed cameras are why they invented cruise control i dont chance it A77 south ayrshire 70 miles covered by these things kilmarnock to stranraer not been done in the 2 plus years theve been up

Specs are the most expensive type of Speed Camera installation. So I won’t hold my breath on them only being a visual deterrent, when they can recoup the cost through fines.

This is web the web site of the firm who make/install them SpeedCheck – Test your broadband and wifi speed

As for the A14 cameras I, and number of colleagues have been using that stretch at 56mph for the last month and have not heard anything yet. :blush: :smiling_imp:

There should be a new roadsign put up near them with the following text on it.

Average

• noun: The result obtained by adding several amounts together and then dividing the total by the number of amounts.

• adjective: Constituting an average.

• verb: Calculate the average of. :stuck_out_tongue:

It might help the dingbats who think it is ok to brake as they get up to the cameras and then speed up again

just a small point - I have been “reliably” informed that average speed cameras can only do 1 lane each, so if you go past 1 in lane 1 and go past the next 1 in lane 2, they do not work!!! - of course they might now have got over that problem

ROG:
just a small point - I have been “reliably” informed that average speed cameras can only do 1 lane each, so if you go past 1 in lane 1 and go past the next 1 in lane 2, they do not work!!! - of course they might now have got over that problem

The cameras have to be paired to work, but the camera at the start of lane 1 could be paired with the camera at the end of lane 2, you just don’t know.

Doesn,t it bother any of the people who admit to cruising at 56mph severel times in a 50 limit that they may receive several fixed penalties in the near future and rack up over 12 points? And just wondered for whos benifit do you break the law, if your an owner driver I should imagine you still earn more money sticking to speed limits and save fuel at the same time than if your sat at home serving a driving ban!

mikermhh:
Doesn,t it bother any of the people who admit to cruising at 56mph severel times in a 50 limit that they may receive several fixed penalties in the near future and rack up over 12 points? And just wondered for whos benifit do you break the law, if your an owner driver I should imagine you still earn more money sticking to speed limits and save fuel at the same time than if your sat at home serving a driving ban!

Obviously not,as the idiot who works at our place clocked up 3 seperate tickets on the same stretch of road and already had 3 points on his license,two of these were clocked as within 28 hrs of each other,but then again you can supposedly get some one to take the/or some of the points for you now, :open_mouth: :question:

roddersdad:
but then again you can supposedly get some one to take the/or some of the points for you now, :open_mouth: :question:

let me know who and pm me their number and il bear that in mind. :unamused:

I know we covered this on this site before but I always wonder why, especially if hourly paid, a driver would want to give away money to his/her boss by doing the job quicker - it has never made sense to me!

wiggy:
having been out of the country for all of May I returned last week and noticed the average speed cameras on the A14 are now operational.Out of interest has anybody ever been caught by an average speed camera anywhere or are they as i think just a deteerant and really an urban myth.

is it worth the risk. i know they are a pain but just set the limiter at 48 for a few miles then stick your foot down.

mikermhh:

The tickets have to issued to you witin 15 days I believe■■? :blush:

There on the M1 now south of Sheffield :frowning:

Too Fat to Fly:
The tickets have to issued to you witin 15 days I believe■■? :blush:

Not to you, to the registered keeper of the vehicle…who has 28 days to take the wrap or name and shame…then when the form gose back I believe they have either 15 or 28 days to issue a new summons for the named driver.

My wife got caught last year in my car. I received a summons but we were on holiday at the time so sent it back with her name on our return and a couple of weeks later a new one came back for her… So she didn’t receive her summons until about 6 weeks after the event.

Now, I’m sure the office would track you down and let you know right away but bear in mind that you might not know if you’ve got away with it for nearly two months!

I would have had a call the micro second it dropped on his door mat.

Oh and yes I do realise the ticket wouldnt be sent to me, thankyouplease :laughing:

Looking at the cameras on the M4 between 16 & 17 they dont seem to be wired up.! That could be 15 & 16 !

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

The cameras have to be paired to work, but the camera at the start of lane 1 could be paired with the camera at the end of lane 2, you just don’t know.

This is not a “problem”, it is how the home office type approval was granted. One pair of cameras can only cover one lane. Hence in some stretches’ of roadworks on motorways you will see two cameras per pole. Thereby covering two of the 3 lanes. All speed measuring device used for law enforcement must have home office type approval.

Having not been down the A14 for sometime I cannot comment on those installations but you maybe not getting tickets for any of the following reasons:

1. One pair of cameras on a two lane stretch of dual carriageway would probably be covering the outside lane.

2. 56mph in a 50, ACPO guidelines state (limit + 10% + 2 mph) = a prosecution speed of 57mph. Yes I know only guidelines but some forces do abide by them.

3. Cameras may not be actively enforcing the limit at the moment. These installations are prone to trouble and sometimes take time to get up and running. The set on the A46 at Cotgrave were out of order for ages.