average speed cameras

ron9516:

Coffeeholic:

ROG:
just a small point - I have been “reliably” informed that average speed cameras can only do 1 lane each, so if you go past 1 in lane 1 and go past the next 1 in lane 2, they do not work!!! - of course they might now have got over that problem

The cameras have to be paired to work, but the camera at the start of lane 1 could be paired with the camera at the end of lane 2, you just don’t know.

This is not a “problem”,…

■■■■, two attempts at starting a rumour thwarted on the same day. :imp: :smiling_imp: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: Back to the drawing board.

What I’ve always wondered is, are they connected to the National Vehicle Data base at swansea?

i.e. Do they know the weight of the vehicle from the reg. no.?

Obviously if so they will know you should only be doing 40 or whatever limit applies to 7.5t + at that point.

If, but & maybe answers are not much help. If you definately know, tell us.

I know we covered this on this site before but I always wonder why, especially if hourly paid, a driver would want to give away money to his/her boss by doing the job quicker - it has never made sense to me!

agreed,only yesterday in fact…http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23778&sid=8697553183e0374a6e9930cd80f19cb9

Driveroneuk:
What I’ve always wondered is, are they connected to the National Vehicle Data base at swansea?

i.e. Do they know the weight of the vehicle from the reg. no.?

Obviously if so they will know you should only be doing 40 or whatever limit applies to 7.5t + at that point.

As far as I am aware they only use average speed cameras on motorways and dual carriageways so if the posted limit is 50 then you will not be fined, unless you are doing way over 50. Roadworks on single carriageways tend to have a speed restriction of much less than 50, usually maximum of 30 or less.

I’m sure that there’s a single-carriageway road in Cambridgeshire/Bedfordshire somewhere - it had a load of those “■■ deaths in the last seven years” signs, and had average speed cameras when I went along it on the way to St Neots a few years ago (IIRC).

whether they are gatsos or average speed cameras,you can do 56mph in a 50 all day long.ive been told you can get away with 58!! shouldnt really condone speeding,but i stay on my limiter all the time (56mph)in a 50 limit and ive never had a ticket :wink: p.s i tend to be careful on single carriageways tho!

R.D:
i stay on my limiter all the time (56mph)in a 50 limit

You’re obviously not on hourly pay then. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

R.D:
i stay on my limiter all the time (56mph)in a 50 limit

You’re obviously not on hourly pay then. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

funny you should say that,but yeah i am.im usually rushing to park up so i can watch emmerdale :laughing:

coffee said:

As far as I am aware they only use average speed cameras on motorways and dual carriageways

A616 Stocksbridge? (the Woodhead pass run)

Driveroneuk:
coffee said:

As far as I am aware they only use average speed cameras on motorways and dual carriageways

Fairy ■■■■. I’ve never seen them on single carriageways so you live and learn.

Coffeeholic:

Driveroneuk:
coffee said:

Fairy ■■■■. I’ve never seen them on single carriageways so you live and learn.

As per my last post, A46 at Cotgrave and Farndon, A52 going into Nottingham

A428 Between bedford and Northampton has some of these cameras as well !! :smiley:

MrReliable:
A428 Between bedford and Northampton has some of these cameras as well !! :smiley:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: I’ve been down that road and never noticed them, I’ll have to start paying more attention. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

R.D:
whether they are gatsos or average speed cameras,you can do 56mph in a 50 all day long.ive been told you can get away with 58!! shouldnt really condone speeding,but i stay on my limiter all the time (56mph)in a 50 limit and ive never had a ticket :wink: p.s i tend to be careful on single carriageways tho!

I must say I do watch most of the Police progs on the box,the documentary ones that is.A couple of times when they’ve been showing the mobile camera van,the operators have said that they allow 10% plus 4mph.There fore,in a 30 zone you are OK at 37mph,but speeding at 38mph.I don’t know if this was that particular van crew,or their rules in general.

Thats more or less what i was told by an Ex mobile camera operator with avon/somerset police.i have to say tho,when the limit is marked at 30 or 40 i tend to keep to it.on dual carriageways/motorways etc i go for the 56 in a 50 option :wink: i was in Wrexham a few years ago and spotted a mobile camera in a 30zone.i set my cruise control to 33 as it was a clear straight road.a few weeks later my boss got a letter from the Police in wrexham,saying that i nearly broke the speed limit.thanks for that :laughing:

specs on a52 bingham,a46 near bingham

:exclamation: The 10% + (usually) 3 mph is not set in stone.

Also, I think there will be less leniency given for LGV’s than there is for cars.

Certainly in the case of some other offences, such as running a red light, a vocational license holder will be more heavily penalised as you are supposed to know better!

Coffeeholic:

Tower Bridge. 20 mph limit, and average speed cameras.

MrReliable:

That’ll be the one I was thinking of.

or is it a physcological thing as you never see the instalation process. One day they just appear with no cabiling being done. The phycological factor is much more of a deterent, so i think that they dont infact work half of the time