At least its not the drivers fault this time?

Looking at the release handle being partly out I wonder if it had not been locked in fully & was moving (crashing) backwards & forward, causing the worn rubbing plate to eventually give way.

dave docwra:
Looking at the release handle being partly out I wonder if it had not been locked in fully & was moving (crashing) backwards & forward, causing the worn rubbing plate to eventually give way.

Does look a bit suspect. And why is the handle on the ■■■■ anyway? The bit off the trailer is still in the jaws as if the trailer was still connected so why would the handle look like that? I’ve used a lot of trailers and the arm has always been horizontal - which is how it should be as that’s the angle needed to release the jaws. I wonder if DVSA will investigate.

old 67:

Janos:
Think I would of taken a wider radius. Cutting the corner and trying to get up the steepest part would of been a gamble with traction anyway…all the liquid would run to back and leave nothing over the drive axle.

I don’t think the trailer would have been in that position when it broke free ■■ :wink:

Regards John.

Ah. It’s slipped off the side of the 5th wheel?
Grease smeared off right side of 5th wheel. Handle bent. Grease on mudguard. No way is that trailer on any sort of correct line to take a corner.

On closer inspection, trailer coupling has sheared off, trailer has slid off to the right (makes sense as it would have been leaning to the right on that corner), landed on the pin release arm and bent it and explains the grease hanging off the right side of the fifth wheel and on the o/s mudguard.

Franglais:

old 67:

Janos:
Think I would of taken a wider radius. Cutting the corner and trying to get up the steepest part would of been a gamble with traction anyway…all the liquid would run to back and leave nothing over the drive axle.

I don’t think the trailer would have been in that position when it broke free ■■ :wink:

Regards John.

Grease smeared off right side of 5th wheel. Handle bent. Grease on mudguard. No way is that trailer on any sort of correct line to take a corner.

Maybe ran out of horizontal articulation on the fifth wheel as the unit exited the hairpin on a steeper grade and the pin mounting tore apart before the fifth wheel pivot would shear ?. :bulb:

That looks like proper drawbar country there. :smiley:

Mick Bracewell:
On closer inspection, trailer coupling has sheared off, trailer has slid off to the right (makes sense as it would have been leaning to the right on that corner), landed on the pin release arm and bent it and explains the grease hanging off the right side of the fifth wheel and on the o/s mudguard.

My guess is that the forward angle that the fifth wheel seems to have been jammed in is a clue.
Not enough fifth wheel articulation combined with conflict of angles between unit and trailer and the fifth wheel pivot and relatively much steeper grade on the exit of the hairpin.

The pin mounting was the weakest link v the resulting forces.

Franglais:

old 67:

Janos:

Regards John.

Aye…that’s what I was hinting at !! :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

Regards John.

Carryfast:

Mick Bracewell:

My guess is that the forward angle that the fifth wheel seems to have been jammed in is a clue.
Not enough fifth wheel articulation combined with conflict of angles between unit and trailer and the fifth wheel pivot and relatively much steeper grade on the exit of the hairpin.

The pin mounting was the weakest link v the resulting forces.

Well said that man. Coudnt put it better meself, god bless you guvnor.

Franglais:

old 67:

Janos:

Regards John.

How come there are no tyre marks across the the grass then Sherlock ? or should i say Clouseau

That is exactly why there are no tyre marks on the grass!
Articulation of 5th wheel an issue?
If the pin was in good nick you could hang a trailer off it…vertically!

Suedehead:

That’s the way to do it. :wink: :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=kD5DYURPiPI

youtube.com/watch?v=sJon0Yc1rss

Enoughs enough TNCSI

Franglais:

Which part of the ‘HORIZONTAL’ articulation of the turntable didn’t you understand.So the front of the fifth wheel has hit the chassis it ain’t going to bend on its pivot any further to comply with the different angles between the steeply climbing unit on the exit of the hairpin v the not there yet climbing trailer.
That’s not the trailer pin being pulled laterally.It’s being wrenched out by leverage of the unit’s chassis trying to go up hill while the loaded trailer’s chassis says no it’s sitting level.
The unit say yes and then tears the pin mounting out of the trailer plate.
It’s one of the reasons why drawbars are the proven kings of the mountains.

Carryfast:

Suedehead:

That’s the way to do it. :wink: :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=kD5DYURPiPI

youtube.com/watch?v=sJon0Yc1rss

Ahahaha! The 2nd link explains the source of all your “expertise” ! :laughing:

Carryfast:

Franglais:

Which part of the ‘HORIZONTAL’ articulation of the turntable didn’t you understand.So the front of the fifth wheel has hit the chassis it ain’t going to bend on its pivot any further to comply with the different angles between the steeply climbing unit on the exit of the hairpin v the not there yet climbing trailer.
That’s not the trailer pin being pulled laterally.It’s being wrenched out by leverage of the unit’s chassis trying to go up hill while the loaded trailer’s chassis says no it’s sitting level.

Do you never wonder what you could have achieved had you turned your clearly over active brain to something useful?

Carryfast:

Franglais:

Leverage…
Wrong thread mate.

Mick Bracewell:
Ahahaha! The 2nd link explains the source of all your “expertise” ! :laughing:

To be fair it’s a brilliant, albeit exaggerated, analogy in showing the advantage of drawbars in being able to deal with steeply undulating terrain.An artic fifth wheel turntable obviously having far less compliance in that regard.That’s why I posted it.You can add less cut in on tight turns to that. :smiley: :wink:

Franglais:

Carryfast:

Franglais:

Leverage…
Wrong thread mate.

Different thread different type of leverage.But more than enough to tear a trailer pin and its mounting out of a trailer if the fifth wheel’s compliance angle has reached the end of its tether.Might as well be a totally fixed fifth wheel at that point.

Franglais:

Like this ? youtu.be/yuGVuWrBWjA

manski:

Franglais:

Like this ? youtu.be/yuGVuWrBWjA

Yep. Thanks.
Clearly no leverage involved there…
[emoji2]