Aston Clinton Haulage

Yeah we used to call them Aid’s Clap and Herpe’s or All Chase and Hurry
but they were a good outfit if i remember rightly the boss was a ex copper
and ran a tight ship but that’s only what i heard. i remember one driver
Big Daddy and a scotch geezer that thought he was a hard man when he had a drink and was alway’s getting bashed up was it Boyce something like that.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

I remember them well, but my only tenuous connection to them was when I got a job at Cheverall’s down the road in Luton, taking over from a bloke who went to ACH. Can’t remember his name or what he looked like now but might have a memory jog if I saw him or read it. This would be about 1980.

Excellent keep them coming, i’ve got a few but have no scanner and dont know how to get them from my flickr webpage.

Does anyone remember the name Brian Soames? Used to be an ACH man with my dad.

I met Gentleman George just the once and what good company he was. I was carrying out a removal from Camberley to Athens and went via the tourist route - ferry from Brindisi (Italy) to Patras. George was on board for ACH and he recited a few tales of great interest. This was back in about 1993. We played a few hands of crib during the 17 hour crossing and I won a few deutchmarks off him. I’ve still got the old 5 deutchmark note with his phone number on somewhere! If anyone sees him, please pass on my regards. (Pete - Salisbury GB)

Pic of one of my Scania’s with Jameson Kangaroo trailer and an ACH Volvo in Italy I think don’t know where though!

Regards Pat

Excellent pics.
Here’s a couple more…

Keep them coming!! That first picture is a corker Chalkey, can you email me a copy please?

seem to remember nobbie dingledangale had a yard outside calais behind a shell garage( get the + in there ) on the old nat.rd. before the peage was built . into dave west,s his first eastenders in calais then down the shell that was when the french had the derv restric,s.

nipper is that pic.of the the 88 and the the scane. in the l.by by the water taken in greece? used to bump into a few a.c.h. boys in patras coming back from turkey (or going) had a few nights on the ooooozo with them. one guy (cant remember his name) big bloke with a grey beard mid to late 80,s

Excellent pics can any one rember the way the Aston Clinton driver got to dover from Aston Clinton before the M25

I remember reading an article in one of the Truck mags saying that at one time Brain Haulage were trying to buy ACH (this was after Brains had gone bust)

Anyone know the story behind it ?

We had Scanias at Brains in the same reg batches as the 2 pics above - GEV 3xxT and XJN 9xxS -

alf apsey:
I regularally meet them at aosta on teusdays when running italy they had some good blokes on there then what happened to dave mortimer and the rest of them.

Dave is on the car transporter company ECM from Carlisle he has been on there around 5 years now.

David Miller:
The good Mons. Dressingtable also brought another good firm called AJG from that same area who ran a twice weekly trunk to Barcelona and did lots of work for us.

The Dressingtable organisation still do the work at rates that seem to get lower each year to the extent that I just shake my grey old head and wonder why anyone would bother - though since I’m on the customer side of the fence now I ain’t complaining!

AJG International was taken over just after they left their depot of 30 years in Aylesbury and moved to Leighton Buzzard in 1998,ACH then left Aylesbury around 2001/2002 to all move into the same yard Where the original owners of each company Alan Gaunt & David Fowler had nothing more to do with the running of the outfits from there on 95% of the old time drivers just fizzled away .Shame really to cracking companies swallowed up.

I remember seeing a 3-4 page article in TRUCK magazine iirc. Was just before they went over to ND i think. They had some Magnums soon before they got taken over didn’t they?

chalkey:
Excellent pics.
Here’s a couple more…SUPERB PICTURES THIS MUST HAVE JUST BEEN AFTER ACH AQUIRED HOWE EUROPEAN

VXR1:

chalkey:
Excellent pics.
Here’s a couple more…SUPERB PICTURES THIS MUST HAVE JUST BEEN AFTER ACH AQUIRED HOWE EUROPEAN

I WORKED IN THE WORKSHOP IN THE LATE 80’S AS AN APPRENTICE FITTER AND STILL KEEP IN TOUCH WITH A FEW OF THE OLD HANDS OF THE FIRM WOTS LEFT OF THEM

Roger Breaker:
They had some Magnums soon before they got taken over didn’t they?

They did :wink:

CRACK ON TO MACON:
Yeah we used to call them Aid’s Clap and Herpe’s or All Chase and Hurry
but they were a good outfit if i remember rightly the boss was a ex copper
and ran a tight ship but that’s only what i heard. i remember one driver
Big Daddy and a scotch geezer that thought he was a hard man when he had a drink and was alway’s getting bashed up was it Boyce something like that.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

Dave Boyce was the guy in question from Penrith passed away a good few years ago in either Santhia or Carisio 1 saturday night whilst weekended think it was a heart attack he came accross to ACH with howe european (i think) to be fair when you got to know smashing bloke r.i.p.

Mr 141:
Excellent keep them coming, i’ve got a few but have no scanner and dont know how to get them from my flickr webpage.

Does anyone remember the name Brian Soames? Used to be an ACH man with my dad.

send me the link to ye wepage, I will get them for you if ye want

Nipper:

Roger Breaker:
They had some Magnums soon before they got taken over didn’t they?

They did :wink:

Cheers Nipper! Thought so.