Anyone worked or is still working for reed bordall?

start new job…free
take out truck…free
get on phone ect when driving…free
wreck it and write the lot off being the one to blame…£110k x£10 per week owed by you is a lot of debt to escape from if theres a clause saying any remaining outstanding balance of debt becomes instantly payable on leaving the company. :smiley:

It’s stressful enough being a newbie but with the extra damage payment clause? Not a chance yes it is experience but not those terms.
Makes you wonder how the likes of reed boardall gets drivers with crap clauses get better terms with agencies (but not used agencies for years so might be out of touch a tad).

Jeff.

I was brought up to own up to any damage and up to now anything Iv damaged it’s been ok,
This charging drivers for damages leads to drivers covering up in my view,
To the op if you need this job then it’s up to you but firms that make you sign for damages are to be avoided in my opinion…
Iv heard that ws transportation at thirsk will take newbies if it’s any good to you

Another point to ponder is, before you take any truck or trailer out, photograph any damage, and make them aware before you leave, that way they can’t come back at you afterwards and try to charge you. Remember, photos on smart phones are date and time stamped, so that could be invaluable evidence later .

Also make sure that you note all damage on the scratch sheet, (If they have one.) before you leave. That is a belt and braces job in addition to the above, because you can guarantee, that the next driver will go in and kick off about any damage, and who will they come after? Why the last driver of course.

Ken.

Here’s an idea…stop having accidents.

If you have to turn a job down because of that clause well your obviously prone too having knocks.

I would not work for any company that petty .Insurance is not an employees responsibilty ,Accidents happen.What kind of dump are they .

alliance:

If you have to turn a job down because of that clause well your obviously prone too having knocks.

Or we’ve been driving long enough to know bumps and scrapes are part and parcel of driving. Everyone will have them whether they are willing to admit it or not and regardless of how good they think they are.

alliance:

So youre saying everyone in this forum who has advised me not to accept this job,because of the clause, is accident prone?

alliance:

I was once on the bunk in Tamworth services and woke up rocking as the guy reversing into the next bay had scrapped the side of my trailer. Not badly and once he had polished it up would never know.

He said he hadn’t felt it and I believe him bit if I had been inside getting some food and not realised at the time and it had been found back at the yard would I have been blamed/billed as I couldn’t explain it under that clause?

Another I got offered was to pay when costs “couldn’t be recovered” so I gave that example and it was in the snow last year and I asked what would happen then and just got silence so that’s my issue with it.

Jack-knife:
Did they mention if you have a accident your liable for the first £500?

Been casual for quite a few years now and I’ve yet to meet someone who’s been charged to pay for damage. Not saying it doesn’t happen just I’ve yet to here about it. I damaged a 65 plate last year and I held my hands up and explained fully in my statement that it was my fault. Not been charged a penny. (Needed new N/S door, mirrors and arm)

I tramp for them every 6 weeks normally 5 on 2/3 off then back 5 on. Then back to my own job etc. Lots of different shift patterns to suit most.
All legit and above board. Money always in the bank every Thursday.
Yes they don’t pay parking unless authorised by pointy shoe boys but I can live with that.

You will run to your hours but it’s decent clean work with decent kit. Can be a lot of sitting around at RDC but your getting paided for it.

New vehicles arrived and new trailers been coming on the road since 2016. Some right old junk trailers have gone.

If it’s your first job doing class 1 then you’ll do fine learning the ropes etc

It like marmite, you’ll either like it or hate it.

I like it there and would go fully time if the need arises but it doesn’t right now.

rocketsquadron:

Jack-knife:
Did they mention if you have a accident your liable for the first £500?

Been casual for quite a few years now and I’ve yet to meet someone who’s been charged to pay for damage. Not saying it doesn’t happen just I’ve yet to here about it. I damaged a 65 plate last year and I held my hands up and explained fully in my statement that it was my fault. Not been charged a penny. (Needed new N/S door, mirrors and arm)

I tramp for them every 6 weeks normally 5 on 2/3 off then back 5 on. Then back to my own job etc. Lots of different shift patterns to suit most.
All legit and above board. Money always in the bank every Thursday.
Yes they don’t pay parking unless authorised by pointy shoe boys but I can live with that.

You will run to your hours but it’s decent clean work with decent kit. Can be a lot of sitting around at RDC but your getting paided for it.

New vehicles arrived and new trailers been coming on the road since 2016. Some right old junk trailers have gone.

If it’s your first job doing class 1 then you’ll do fine learning the ropes etc

It like marmite, you’ll either like it or hate it.

I like it there and would go fully time if the need arises but it doesn’t right now.

Thanks, this is really helpful feedback. I hope my assessment goes well and I get a job offer, I think this is a good place to start. I’ve got 2 other options as well, one of them is midnight starts which im not too keen on though the job is dead easy. The other is quarry work which I wouldn’t mind but the pay isnt as good as RB.

wolves:

stevieboy308:
I’d have to be pretty desperate or they’d have to be paying very good money before I’d work anywhere where you have to pay for damage.

At best as a newbie I’d use them for experience then get out of there sharpish.

Don’t worry about any damage as your only using them for experience…oh wait. Brilliant idea!

OP is new so prob not best place to work for.

Not the smartest cookie, are ya?

stevieboy308:

wolves:

stevieboy308:
I’d have to be pretty desperate or they’d have to be paying very good money before I’d work anywhere where you have to pay for damage.

Don’t worry about any damage as your only using them for experience…oh wait. Brilliant idea!

I’m a ■■■■■

■■■■■

I went for an interview there about 6 years ago. I walked out half way through…

Whereabouts in N Yorks are you?

Lonewolf Yorks:
I went for an interview there about 6 years ago. I walked out half way through…

Whereabouts in N Yorks are you?

Harrogate. Why did you walk out?

When they told me a ‘day’ shift could start any time after midnight…

I worked for Warcups in Driffield for 5 years before I came off the road last year, not a bad outfit. Bulk tipping mostly and you don’t have to do nights out. Fair distance to go for you mind. I was a tramper so it didn’t matter too much as I only did it once a week.

Our day lads don’t do nights out, based between York and Malton. Dunno if they want anybody at the moment though.

Lonewolf Yorks:

At the interview I was told I could choose how many days I wanted, which days I wanted and what time I wanted to start.

Ive decided I’m willing to relocate for the right job.

Jasesonix:

Lonewolf Yorks:

At the interview I was told I could choose how many days I wanted, which days I wanted and what time I wanted to start.

So what happens if they don’t have work for the days or times you choose? Is that the point they say 1am Saturday and Sunday morning?

wolves:

stevieboy308:

wolves:

stevieboy308:

I’m a [zb]!

[zb]!

See, I told ya…

Jasesonix:

You can bet that is all lies. You’re very green it seems and you’ll quickly realise in this industry people will tell you what you want to hear and then do the opposite.