Anyone been furloughed yet?

I didnt know how I felt yesterday but I’d wonen up today feeling anger about it.

I’m pragmatic enough to know it was always likely to happen and at least we should have a job at the end of it but… I thojknots the way it’s been communicated as in “we’re still open now and might stay open anyway but if volumes drop we’ll furlough you” kind of thing.

I mean I dont want to be at work really. I’d like to just be at home so I can keep my lad off school, but it’s ok to carry on presenting added risk to people for now until it’s not worth it for the company.

It’s 80% of your basic pay

Winseer:
I thought the way it was supposed to work was that the firm finds something else for you to do on full pay, and the government covers 80% of the payroll costs - by paying the subsidy to the FIRM rather than individual’s pay packets…? If that firm then doesn’t lay anyone off for the duration - they don’t have to pay the subsidy money back again. That makes those kept on effectively “unsackable” if you think about it…

In other words, all those firms with workers kicking their heels - have now got dogsbody people aplenty for 20p in the pound to do whatever they like with OTHER than “lay them off”…

Expect bods being assigned to sweep floors, clean trucks, do some H&S exercises, etc etc…

The firm won’t mind if a lot of your time is say, doing dogsbody duties - if they are only paying a fifth of your normal wage for you to be hanging around, scratching your arse most of the time… :bulb: :bulb:

Of course people are free to RESIGN if they wish, and the firm will probably have it’s managers leaping to hold the exit door open for those that even hint that “they are not satisfied at cleaning bogs, sweeping out trailers, and gathering empty containers together” for their contracted pay…

You’d have to be hard-of-thinking indeed - if you are even considering chucking your job in right now, full time, part time, or even ZHC. :bulb: :open_mouth:

Sorry mate, but you’ve got it wrong.
The 80% is only available if the company has to send you home because of having no work available. If the company would be likely to make redundancies or go out of business as a result of not being able to carry on normal business.
If you turn up to work, even just to do dogsbody work, your company would be responsible for paying your full wage, without being able to claim any percentage back from the government.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

CookieMonster:

Winseer:
I thought the way it was supposed to work was that the firm finds something else for you to do on full pay, and the government covers 80% of the payroll costs - by paying the subsidy to the FIRM rather than individual’s pay packets…? If that firm then doesn’t lay anyone off for the duration - they don’t have to pay the subsidy money back again. That makes those kept on effectively “unsackable” if you think about it…

In other words, all those firms with workers kicking their heels - have now got dogsbody people aplenty for 20p in the pound to do whatever they like with OTHER than “lay them off”…

Expect bods being assigned to sweep floors, clean trucks, do some H&S exercises, etc etc…

The firm won’t mind if a lot of your time is say, doing dogsbody duties - if they are only paying a fifth of your normal wage for you to be hanging around, scratching your arse most of the time… :bulb: :bulb:

Of course people are free to RESIGN if they wish, and the firm will probably have it’s managers leaping to hold the exit door open for those that even hint that “they are not satisfied at cleaning bogs, sweeping out trailers, and gathering empty containers together” for their contracted pay…

You’d have to be hard-of-thinking indeed - if you are even considering chucking your job in right now, full time, part time, or even ZHC. :bulb: :open_mouth:

Sorry mate, but you’ve got it wrong.
The 80% is only available if the company has to send you home because of having no work available. If the company would be likely to make redundancies or go out of business as a result of not being able to carry on normal business.
If you turn up to work, even just to do dogsbody work, your company would be responsible for paying your full wage, without being able to claim any percentage back from the government.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

This is my understanding, they are paying people to stay at home, because the company can’t operate during this.
Of course if you can’t abide spending weeks at home, there are plenty of local voluntary groups looking for help.

or you could sign up to help the NHS,
goodsamapp.org/NHS?fbclid=I … o6v5rPmXeI

Seeding for the NHS”, I fear… :frowning:

Conor:

blue estate:

Wheel Nut:
Not Haulage has such but a manufacturing company that runs its own vehicles has furloughed all its staff today in Goole.

Are they green or black and make joinery or kitchen units ?

Make joinery and kitchen units. Got back from night trunk this morning, day drivers sent out as normal. Day drivers recalled later in the morning, got text through cancelling night trunk. Shut for the foreseeable. PAYE on agency so I’ll be getting paid to sit at home.

Pay is average of last 3 months up to a max of £2500 a month. Doesn’t include expenses.

Different company, its in Goole

Wheel Nut:
Different company, its in Goole

Both Howdens and Wren tend to get classed as Goole even though they’re both at Howden as Goole is the nearest main postal town. Certainly a lot of places I’ve backloaded from have had Howdens, Goole on the paperwork as the transporter.

Can’t think of any manufacturing company in Goole who runs its own lorries.

Been talking to a friend who knows someone who worked for weatherspoons.

And theve had a letter.

Basically the government pays the company the company then pays you.

But the guy who runs Wetherspoons as emailed sent letters to all staff saying untill the government pay me I’m not paying you…
So am sure be lots of other firms trying all kinds of tactics to avoid paying the workers
And have a feeling were gone be shut by end of the week.
Good job have a few savings. Am paid weekly. Got last week’s pay get next week’s then who knows

edd1974:

And theve had a letter.

But the guy who runs Wetherspoons as emailed sent letters to all staff saying untill the government pay me I’m not paying you…
So am sure be lots of other firms trying all kinds of tactics to avoid paying the workers
Good job have a few savings. Am paid weekly. Got last week’s pay get next week’s then who knows

They aren’t paying suppliers either.

Tim Martin making lots of friends…

He’s also said go and work for Tesco.

expressandstar.com/news/uk- … -at-tesco/

toonsy:

edd1974:

And theve had a letter.

They aren’t paying suppliers either.

Tim Martin making lots of friends…

Maybe Tim Martin and Mike Ashley will go and join Gerald Ratner?

3 at work have been today
1 truck had broken down with engine trouble
2 live on Isle of Wight
Rest of us by end of week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am currently busier than been for ages as the construction industry seems to be going into self closure, at least this way we can pack things up properly and leave ourselves in a better position for restarting at some future point.

Any that are continuing regardless will be in a muddle at the point where we undoubtedly get forced to close.

My boss is aiming to shut shop on Friday so looks like I’ll be adding my name on Monday.

I’ve been looking at agency jobs but I’d need to get a lot of hours at a good rate to match the 80% I’d lose by doing it, I’m not very keen to gamble that on the word of an agency. My concern is also that if I were to work for two weeks and then catch the virus I’d have two weeks on SSP when potentially I could have been back at work.

On My weekly rest at the moment (till Friday) not sure if I going to jack it in for a couple of weeks (agency Driver). Wife does have a few health problems so I think I being selfish carrying on. Thing is there is no light at the end of the tunnel, If I sit at home 2-3 weeks what are the chances catching it as soon as I start work again? really don’t know what to do for the best.

elsa Lad:
On My weekly rest at the moment (till Friday) not sure if I going to jack it in for a couple of weeks (agency Driver). Wife does have a few health problems so I think I being selfish carrying on. Thing is there is no light at the end of the tunnel, If I sit at home 2-3 weeks what are the chances catching it as soon as I start work again? really don’t know what to do for the best.

Gov may be announcing financial support for self employed etc today?
And you’re right, sad to say, two or three weeks won’t see an end to anything.
It is possible to house share, but stay isolated from a spouse…very difficult to manage etc, and it is easier I’d you both stay indoors, but…difficult for us all.

I’m still waiting for it… Wanting it actually.

My lad is in school as the Mrs is also a key worker (as in a real one looking after NHS staff children) and I want him out of there ASAP as it sounds more like prison camp. They can exercise in marked circles on the playground, get threatened with calls to parents if they accidentally step within 2m of each other and spend all day wearing masks, gloves and aprons

toonsy:
I’m still waiting for it… Wanting it actually.

My lad is in school as the Mrs is also a key worker (as in a real one looking after NHS staff children) and I want him out of there ASAP as it sounds more like prison camp. They can exercise in marked circles on the playground, get threatened with calls to parents if they accidentally step within 2m of each other and spend all day wearing masks, gloves and aprons

Sounds grim - especially if you don’t realize that 2m is six foot SIX, meaning a lot are going to get caught out by accidentally ignoring the extra six inches of clearence required. :open_mouth:

elsa Lad:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
go tramping and stay out for 2 or 3 weeks at a time,come home for the weekend,and then offski again…its a normal job for some?

Our lot shut up shop yesterday until further notice.
Last normal payday today . 80% from now until ■■■■ knows when.

Suedehead:
Our lot shut up shop yesterday until further notice.
Last normal payday today . 80% from now until [zb] knows when.

Do you get to save 20% of your income - by now not having to commute to work each day?

If so, you should find yourself no worse off stuck at home - than if you’d carried on working…