Anyone been furloughed yet?

Winseer:

Suedehead:
Our lot shut up shop yesterday until further notice.
Last normal payday today . 80% from now until [zb] knows when.

Do you get to save 20% of your income - by now not having to commute to work each day?

If so, you should find yourself no worse off stuck at home - than if you’d carried on working…

You really are a prize cow, aren’t you?

If we take, for the sake of argument, the average BASIC wage to be £500 per week, (possibly less, depending on contracted hours), then then you’d need to spend £100 a week on commuting… the only ones spending that, will be for a job that pays considerably more than £500 per week, so they lose a lot more than 20%.

Winseer:

Suedehead:

Do you get to save 20% of your income - by now not having to commute to work each day?

If so, you should find yourself no worse off stuck at home - than if you’d carried on working…

Who on earth spends 20% of their income on commuting? I do close to 1000 miles a month and still spend no more than about 8% of my salary on commuting

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

So my lot have furloughed those who have underlying issues and are off for the 12 weeks. Fair enough.

They’ve then furloughed those with childcare issues. Fair enough.

Now they’re looking for volunteers, then it will be enforced apart from a small group kept on to keep some stuff moving

toonsy:
So my lot have furloughed those who have underlying issues and are off for the 12 weeks. Fair enough.

Now they’re looking for volunteers, then it will be enforced apart from a small group kept on to keep some stuff moving

As far as I know it doesn’t work like that.
There has to be no work available ie the business is closed, to get the gov 80%
If you’re at home and the business is still open you are on sick pay ■■

There are alot of people who think they are going to be covered by this but aren’t…

the nodding donkey:

Winseer:

Suedehead:

If we take, for the sake of argument, the average BASIC wage to be £500 per week, (possibly less, depending on contracted hours), then then you’d need to spend £100 a week on commuting… the only ones spending that, will be for a job that pays considerably more than £500 per week, so they lose a lot more than 20%.

Take any driver who either runs a gas guzzler and/or doesn’t want to work for the top payers, and is quite content earning upto £500pw gross…you’d take home normally around £400pw of that.
If the 80% income covers the gross rather than the net pay, then for starters - is it a “Benefit” that doesn’t get tax taken off?

Even if it is taxed as per normal for the same wage, then staying at home is going to be cheaper than having to go to work for the same money.

If you commute say, 20 miles to work and work 5 shifts per week (common) then how much fuel does your vehicle use doing those 200 miles? Probably £40-£50 rather than £100 it is true…
Then factor in the 6 hours per week spent doing that commute @ £10ph worth… Combine the two, and you get £100 pw commuting costs - which are costing you out of tax already paid money - right?

Obviously, if you put less than £40pw in your car, and/or spend less than 6 hrs per week commuting all told - then it ain’t gonna cost you that £100. Wouldn’t you describe what I’ve just laid out as “pretty average” for drivers on the whole though?

It is always possible to “loss less” and profit MORE in the end than by earnings alone.
This also explains why a benefit claimant always seems to be able to afford decent clothes, run a mobile, fancy car, and take foreign holidays…
They get their bills paid AND take home whatever their benefits are, no tax deducted from them… Benefits are taxable, but I’ve yet to see any tax deducted from the benfits themselves… Indeed, making benefit taxable - merely keeps people ON the dole, rather than trying to get a job that would involve “less money than when on benefits” in the case of sub £520 pw work…

idrive:

toonsy:

As far as I know it doesn’t work like that.
There has to be no work available ie the business is closed, to get the gov 80%
If you’re at home and the business is still open you are on sick pay ■■

There are alot of people who think they are going to be covered by this but aren’t…

I don’t think it’s been done to completion yet, I think it’s more case of making a complete list and those are the ones that will be furloughed all in one go.

There are no requirements for a firm to completely close. Is simply says that the number of those furloughed must be ones who otherwise would’ve been made redundant and that by furloghing those the government will pay 80% as a grant but on the provision that they remain employed and will be taken back into work at a future date.

Winseer:

the nodding donkey:

Winseer:

Suedehead:

Take any driver who either runs a gas guzzler and/or doesn’t want to work for the top payers, and is quite content earning upto £500pw gross…you’d take home normally around £400pw of that.
If the 80% income covers the gross rather than the net pay, then for starters - is it a “Benefit” that doesn’t get tax taken off?

Even if it is taxed as per normal for the same wage, then staying at home is going to be cheaper than having to go to work for the same money.

If you commute say, 20 miles to work and work 5 shifts per week (common) then how much fuel does your vehicle use doing those 200 miles? Probably £40-£50 rather than £100 it is true…
Then factor in the 6 hours per week spent doing that commute @ £10ph worth… Combine the two, and you get £100 pw commuting costs - which are costing you out of tax already paid money - right?

Obviously, if you put less than £40pw in your car, and/or spend less than 6 hrs per week commuting all told - then it ain’t gonna cost you that £100. Wouldn’t you describe what I’ve just laid out as “pretty average” for drivers on the whole though?

It is always possible to “loss less” and profit MORE in the end than by earnings alone.
This also explains why a benefit claimant always seems to be able to afford decent clothes, run a mobile, fancy car, and take foreign holidays…
They get their bills paid AND take home whatever their benefits are, no tax deducted from them… Benefits are taxable, but I’ve yet to see any tax deducted from the benfits themselves… Indeed, making benefit taxable - merely keeps people ON the dole, rather than trying to get a job that would involve “less money than when on benefits” in the case of sub £520 pw work…

■■■■ off. You choose to judge your entire life by how you get paid for it… I don’t. I go to work , doing a job I like. I get paid (e very week),

I’m happy…

Worrying if I could earn another 36 pence by claiming my travel to work as a deductable, is not making my life better.
And you know what? For all your broohaaaa, when this pandemic ■■■■■ up the works economy, your just as ■■■■■■ as we are.

7 have been furloughed so far at our place and 1 jumped 3 days to early and self isolated and is now on SSP [emoji23]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
■■■■ off. You choose to judge your entire life by how you get paid for it… I don’t. I go to work , doing a job I like. I get paid (e very week),

I’m happy…

Worrying if I could earn another 36 pence by claiming my travel to work as a deductable, is not making my life better.
And you know what? For all your broohaaaa, when this pandemic [zb] up the works economy, your just as [zb] as we are.

What on earth are you banging on about man? - Have you got TDS or something? :unamused: :neutral_face:

You don’t accrue holidays while furloughed, well I know our company aren’t. I’m getting 39 hours pay per week for it so can’t complain.

Pretty much the same as that. I don’t do nights out and rarely work overtime, apart from the odd Saturday, so it could be a lot worse. The joys of working for an own account operator.

Wish our place would.
I can live on 80%pay for a while probably be worse off when you factor In overtime .
But I don’t care I’d rather be at home safeish. Rather than out and about and unsure who your coming into contact with.

On the plus side when things return to.normal
Be busy as anything be able do as many hours as you want.

I can add myself to the list today. Given vast majority of our work is construction related it was inevitable.

Like most have said 80% is better than the half a week I have done this week.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I will be from the 1st April.
I’m ok with it as I’ll be paid 80% of my basic wage & the ( Belgian) government will pay my Gas, water & electricity Bill’s while I’m not working.

Different Countries, different rules.

well I received the call this afternoon, all work next week is cancelled and for at least the next 2-3 weeks. I’ve suggested that I could possibly be furloughed for the duration and I’m awaiting an answer.

Edit: I’ve spoken to the agency manager whom I deal with and they’ve been told to compile a list for HR of PAYE workers who are on Swedish derogation contracts (ie with guaranteed minimum hours) by Monday morning, there is probably only 10 of us who may qualify for the scheme. The rest of the guys laid off are Ltd Co and get nothing

See everyone has jumped at the basic pay, but government guidance today says differently and paints a clearer picture

gov.uk/guidance/check-if-yo … ion-scheme

I survived the cull today.

The mileage rate for working out travel expenses when using own vehicle is usually 45p per mile. So if you are doing say a 40 mile round-trip on a 5 day week, this is around £90 and getting on for £400 a month.

The 45p rate includes wear and tear on the vehicle, fuel, tyres, everything else that goes into keeping a car.

In the case of being laid off I understand that many overheads will remain in place as the car is still sitting there, but the wear and tear will not be there.

I often take into account mileage to a job when considering it because of expense but also for quality of life. Spending an extra hour in the car is a cost in my eyes.

edd1974:
Wish our place would.
I can live on 80%pay for a while probably be worse off when you factor In overtime .
But I don’t care I’d rather be at home safeish. Rather than out and about and unsure who your coming into contact with.

On the plus side when things return to.normal
Be busy as anything be able do as many hours as you want.

Sensible chap… :smiley:

If you are owed any holidays, you dont have to take them, you can roll them over for two years

Wheel Nut:
If you are owed any holidays, you dont have to take them, you can roll them over for two years

Depends on your employer and contract, surely? If
Two-year rollover? Unusual I’d have thought.