Any old promotor drivers around

Found a photo on our Italian colleagues website of what I think are a group of dutch drivers enjoying an Efes or whatever. However, I am 95% sure that the guy sitting on the right with the bottles in front of him and wearing a cap is Promotors Graham Bertram aka Blue or Bugsy. The photo looks as its from the mid 70’s possibly earlier. Graham was an owner driver for a year or two before joining Promotor and this could have been from that era. Its also possible that Graham was pulling for Wim Voss/Multitrans at that time as I kinda remember him telling me he worked for a company from Holland.

Wim%20Vos%20Multitrans%20255.jpg

Hi Sandway, that certainly looks like Graham to me, I think that I mentioned some time ago on another post that I met him once in the Zagreb Motel but soon after I had posted about it I then remembered that I had also met him on a couple of occasions, one being at The Mocamp.
Before I forget, further to our memories of Radio Tirana “The Voice Of Albania” you might remember that just before the news came on The B.B.C. World Service at 8 p.m. they used to play what I thought at the time was that nursery rhyme “Ride a ■■■■ Horse To Banbury Cross”, It turns out that the piece of music that they used was actually called Lilliburlero and it goes back to the 17th century.

youtube.com/watch?v=ExnZ3Nf_FSw

Now I have not listened to the B.B.C. World Service for many years and I wondered if anybody knows if they still play it.
A few years ago Jazzandy mentioned stopping at The Lemon Trees in Yugoslavia in one of his posts and although it rang a distant bell I couldn’t for the life of me think where it was. I think he said that it was somewhere between Belgrade and Nis going east but the only place that sprang to my mind in that area were The A Frames campsite but that was on the way home. Somebody might remember the place as they had wooden cabins with a big truck parking area at the front along side the main T.I.R. road. It wasn’t one of my favourite overnight stops as there were usually a few Turkish and Bulgarian trucks parked there, along with a few girls knocking on the cab to ask for a cigarette at 1 a.m. in the morning.
I started thinking about which were the most popular watering holes for British drivers transiting Yugo in the 70’s/80’s and the ones that I can remember were Mama’s at Spielfeld on the Austrian side of the border just before the customs. Then there was a restaurant with a large cobbled car park somewhere near Maribor on the left hand side of the road which also had a couple of fuel pumps. Inside the restaurant there was a large tree growing which looked like a very old grape vine and I often wondered if they had built the restaurant around the tree. It was this place that I thought that all the British drivers called The Trees.
The Zagreb Motel and The National Hotel in Belgrade were another two favourites and I wondered if The Lemon Trees which Andy mentioned had been bypassed by a stretch of the Autoput by the start of the 80’s. I can remember that there were three or four sections of Autoput along the T.I.R. route each with it’s own toll booths and I wonder if ever like me, you parked up there for a brew or maybe a bit of a siesta in the middle of a hot summers afternoon.
The restaurant which I mentioned near Maribor always had a bit of a sad memory for me.
On one occasion Alan Morrey who was another Dow driver and myself were on our way home and pulled onto the car park to make some lunch. We had just taken our camping chairs out and were sitting next to the trailer box when two Dutchmen pulled up who were heading east. They parked about fifty yards away from us on our left facing our direction. I can’t remember what make the first truck was, I think that it might have been a Scania 141 but I do remember that the truck that was parked behind was a brand new white D.A.F. pulling a fridge trailer. The two drivers got out and after having a chat walked off towards the restaurant.
After about half an hour Alan and I heard some shouting so we both got up to have a look at what was happening. The guy in the first truck which I think was a Scania had started up his engine and was heading flat out towards us. He then spun it around doing a 360 degree turn and pulled up about six foot in front of the D.A.F. and it was then that we noticed that the cab of the D.A.F. was on fire. The guy with the D.A.F. was frantically winding the legs down on the fridge trailer while the other driver had grabbed a chain out of his trailer box and was trying desperately to put the chain around the D.A.F.s front towing pin. I could see him shielding his face with his left hand so there must have been a lot of heat coming from the cab.
Alan and I ran over to see if there was anything that we could do but we already knew that it was hopeless.
The D.A.F. driver was then trying to pull the pin on the fifth wheel, he was also trying to shield his face so the heat must have been coming out from underneath the cab. He managed to pull the pin but he was unable to climb onto the catwalk to undue the suzies. The other driver had by this time attached the chain onto the front of his bumper and was starting to reverse back but with the brakes still being on in the D.A.F. his wheels just kept spinning on the cobbles.
Alan, the D.A.F. driver and myself all moved out of the way as we could all see the amount of tension that was being put on the chain as the other driver kept creeping forward, then he would put it in reverse and he would reverse back harder each time he did this manoeuvre. I was certain that the chain was going to snap and all of a sudden there was a loud explosion as the camping gas bottle that was in the D.A.F. cab exploded and blew the front windscreen out onto the road.
Up until then the cab had been filled with a mass of thick black smoke but now there were flames as high as the fridge trailer. The other driver kept going backwards and forwards and I thought that he would just carry on until the chain snapped but then something strange happened. All of a sudden there seemed to be a lot of water flowing down underneath the cab on the D.A.F. This we found out later was because the driver had a full 25 litre plastic water container which had now melted and wet the cobbles underneath the D.A.F. The other driver gave it one last hard go in reverse and the D.A.F. came out from underneath the trailer, the airlines stretched out to their full length and then there was a load gush of air as the suzies snapped. The Scania driver managed to drag the flaming D.A.F. cab about thirty feet away from the trailer and then came to a stop while the D.A.F. driver dashed in to unhook the chain from the front of the Scania cab. He then reversed back to where Alan and I were parked.
This had all happened in less than ten minutes and we stood well clear as the flaming diesel flowed along the cobbles and then the tyres started exploding. Somebody must of phoned the fire brigade as a small fire engine arrived about fifteen minutes later and we were all surprised by how quickly they had taken to get there but by now the D.A.F. was down on it’s wheel rims.
I will never forget how those two Dutch lads worked as a team and how they managed to save the fridge trailer that was filled with Belgium chocolate for somewhere in the Middle East.
They told us that it was the D.A.F.s first trip and that they had stopped off in Austria that morning to have a C.B. fitted which they thought had been the probable cause of the fire.
There was nothing that Alan and I could do so we left after about two hours but for about a year after, whenever I parked at that restaurant I could still see the marks where that D.A.F. had burnt out.
Unless you had actually seen a cab fire back then, then you probably would have had no idea just how quickly a lorry fire can get out of control, it certainly surprised me.

Regards Steve.

Great recollections of times gone by Steve. Certainly the last time I listened to the BBC World Service was late 80’s. Although I never had the homing instinct in me I found it very satisfying to listen to the good old BBC when I was parked up, had my evening meal and perhaps preparing to get my head down. I was in Baghdad when I heard about the ‘hurricane’ that hit southern England on 15/16 October 87 on my little short wave radio which left me wondering what damage had been done to our house. However, I was staying in the Meridian Hotel and not the lorry at that time.

Like the story of the lorry fire. Must have been parked adjacent to the ‘Fire Station’ for them to have got there so quickly and as for the girls knocking on your door at one in the morning for a cigarette. I could never understand why they didn’t make sure they had enough left in the packet the evening before!!!

Just listened to the link you put on Steve re the 1986 BBC World Service broadcast. Bucketful of nostalgia as far as I’m concerned. Only wish I could have heard it so clearly back then on my little radio.

Just found some pictures of ex Promotor driver George Fardell relaxing at home in Devon after Dave Stagg, our then transport manager, had found some excuse to sack him. I dropped in to see him soon after his dismissal sometime in I think 83 or 84. My mother-in-law and my wife are keeping George company whilst I took the photos. Never did show the photos to ‘Staggie’ as I knew I would get some caustic comment such as ‘he shouldn’t be let loose with a sack barrow let alone a lorry’.

The first photo looks like George at Spielfeld. No doubt got three drops round Yugo which was a common occurrence. It was rare to see George driving anything but his beloved Volvo, the only one the company had.

Scan0005.jpg

The second and third photos have been taken from our colleagues ‘Italian drivers’ website and put on there by Rinus Rynart. I hope you don’t mind me reproducing them on here Rinus. I’m not sure if the Rynart Transport is your business or a family offshoot but I have put the photos on here anyway.

Rynart Transport, the Dutch family owned business synonymous with transport operations throughout the middle east are still very much leaders in their field.

In the first photo Promotor subbed a couple of loads out to them in 87 or 88? to the Tehran Fair. Looking at the photo from right to left you will see; 1st right. Peter Calderwood, Promotor boss. 2nd right Promotors Chick Steadman. 3rd right Rynarts Turkish driver and on the left by the trailer is Bill Kitt, owner driver. In the background is I think an M & C lorry. We subbed a lot of work out that year. The show was a biggie for us.

The second and third photos are of Rynart lorries on their way to Kabul and a map of the route.

I have posted the little anecdote before of the guy in Tartous Syria in the early 80’s who offered his services as a barber. He was in fact a school teacher but he soon found he could earn more money as a barber. I found this old photo of him on our Italian colleagues website. I wasn’t 100% sure it was him but another driver has confirmed it is him. He would turn up on his bike and cycle around the lorries until he found a customer. Once one of us was having a shave plenty of other drivers soon joined the queue. It was a fantastic experience only bettered by bording the waiting ferry to take us home.

We know this is a Promotor lorry and that the registration number is JEV 519V. It was for a long time the motor of John Preece and we know John ‘Welly’ Ward was driving it, when, on his way home from Baghdad it was written off in southern Turkey so come on you sharp eyed bods out there. Who was driving it this time, after all you can see part of him leaning out the drivers window!!! Definitely wasn’t Paul Linscott our coloured driver.

Of course those of you who have been following this thread for the past couple of years may remember the demise of Promotor lorry reg number JEV 519V in south east Turkey. She ended up in Adana customs compound and no doubt is still there.

hi guys thought id just pop back for a while …i see some interesting reading …i must say im really sorry to hear about micks passing…ive been a bit busy the last two years renovating my house in hamburg germany got married …jesus i never did learn … and im still tramping…i heard about john mantle having a nasty crash on his motorbike january 2018 anyone no if he pulled through …John Mantle Roger Oakley and i used to allways knock around together in our free time …when we was not in the yard annoying Peter thornten in the workshops or Staggy in the office …i must say that i only once had a run in with staggy … i asked him did we have any old carpet knocking around …he said dont know have a look around the yard …anyway after a bit of searching i found some carpet i only needed a little piece …and i found just the piece and colour i wanted
about a month later i was filling the truck with diesel in dunton green when dave came round the corner wanted to tell me something… the cab door was open he said i see you got some carpet then yes i said …ah he said just like mine in my office …wow i said great tastes we both have …and he was gone …about 2 months later i was returning from bitola with a load of refrigeraters …on way back i called the office from germany to find out what the next job would be ,staggy came on very outraged and to find that when he changed his office around and moved a big cupboard.there was a hole cut out of his carpet that roughly matched the size of the carpet in my truck …he was not amused and made me change trailers in dover and was immediately sent back to yugo …but after a couple of months he laughed about that …then i got on well with him again till Richard dyne and myself set up Showhaul…
heres one for Tony Grainger Tony Roger Oakley John Barclay Ronnie Hart Geoff and a couple of others (sorry lads cant remember)and myself we all whizzed of to essen with cars for the jochen rindt motor show
i was driving the d series pantech and had to bring from essen and the same show the mc claren m26 james hunts old mount to a posh do thing for marlboro in brussels centre…anyway as i remember we drove down together from essen as far as brussels and we arranged to meet later after id tipped in brussels .at the first garage parking area after brussels …i arrived and all the lads where parked up all sitting in johnny barclays truck ,it was getting quite late and we all were having a laugh when tony grainger decided it was time to go in the service area for a wash before they closed up …so off he went… after about 20 mins the place went dark with a small light somewhere at the back still on …anyway people where getting in there cars in the employees car park and buggering of …cant remember which one of us realised that tony was no more to be seen …but to our amusement tony was standing by the glass door exit inside trying to open the door …we was all in a silly state and found this a very funny situation …infact i think i peed me pants with so much laughter …i cant really remember much as to how he got out …i think the police came not sure but it was so funny …i must say those days by promotors where fantastic brilliant chaps to work with …that i ever had the pleasure to work with… remember sandway the weekend in aschaffenburg with the british leyland metro test team they took us out for a good meal …as i say great guys great days sadly the job nowadays ■■■■■

Welcome back Steve. You were the instigator of this Promotor thread and you have been sorely missed. That last post of yours was just what is needed to keep alive the Promotor and Show-Haul names. I trust we don’t have to wait another two years for your next contribution. You mentioned the refrigerators from Bitola deep down in Yugo. I never loaded them but I think I can claim that I handled more of them than most drivers. Peter or Dave bought about half a trailer load of them and we shipped them down to the Baghdad Fair where we hired them out to the exhibitors. Trouble was they were much to big and not that reliable. After three or four journeys down to Baghdad and back they wee knackered and we got rid of them. We then bought in some decent ones which were much smaller and reliable. As for the Metro job I only did two loads out to Germany. I can’t remember much about the job. I think we delivered them to a small dealer in a small town down towards Frankfurt! I’m sure you will remember a lot more about the job than I.

It sounds as if you got on well with Staggie. I did most of the time but I still balled out at times.
Good to have you back.

Promotor 525.jpg

hi brian its been a difficult last 2 years i really missed going on here …and i will be on here again from time to time im still tramping around europe delivering aeroplane parts …am away up to 2 weeks at a time …so ill do me best to stay on here more regulary …yes it was a small village in the near from aschaffenburg i seem not to remember getting quite ■■■■■■ there with the leyland guys ive a foto somewhere from that trip i think you had a tilt and i had the carrimore i see if i can find it …any news on john mantle id like to get in touch with him

Somebody sent me a photo of a Promotor lorry which I have attached. Now I am always on the lookout for snaps of the companies vehicles and drivers but this photo leaves a hell of a lot to the imagination. If you can’t see it is the last one on the right. Still the thought was there. Many thanks.

I have also been asked if I remember a couple of drivers who supposedly worked for the company, possibly in the 70’s. John Trevor was one and the other was Eddie Brain. I kinda remember Eddie’s name from somewhere but not sure it was Promotor. One for you Nottsnortherner if early 70’s or maybe Efes or Steve if later.

51486428_2314115445265359_3728479423398150144_n.jpg

flyingflash007:
hi brian its been a difficult last 2 years i really missed going on here …and i will be on here again from time to time im still tramping around europe delivering aeroplane parts …am away up to 2 weeks at a time …so ill do me best to stay on here more regulary …yes it was a small village in the near from aschaffenburg i seem not to remember getting quite ■■■■■■ there with the leyland guys ive a foto somewhere from that trip i think you had a tilt and i had the carrimore i see if i can find it …any news on john mantle id like to get in touch with him

I haven’t heard Johns name mentioned for some while. Lets hope he’s ok.

sandway:
You mentioned the refrigerators from Bitola deep down in Yugo. I never loaded them but I think I can claim that I handled more of them than most drivers. Peter or Dave bought about half a trailer load of them and we shipped them down to the Baghdad Fair where we hired them out to the exhibitors. Trouble was they were much too big and not that reliable. After three or four journeys down to Baghdad and back they were knackered and we got rid of them. We then bought in some decent ones which were much smaller and reliable.

I remember the Bitola fridges and their journeys to and from Baghdad.

I loaded with the fridges from Bitola at least once. It’s the place I asked if there was somewhere to get something to eat… This caused lots of excited conversations and hand waving between the management. After a short while I was issued with a slip of paper and taken to the works canteen where the only food available was cabbage and bread (wish I hadn’t asked - although Yugo bread was always good). I later discovered that the factory was a prison and it was the prisoners who assembled the fridges.

The most exciting place to go in Bitola was the station cafe where I met a hunchback who took me on a tour of late night Bitola. Quite an interesting night meeting the local talent as everyone knew him. He spoke passable English too.

Efes:

sandway:
You mentioned the refrigerators from Bitola deep down in Yugo. I never loaded them but I think I can claim that I handled more of them than most drivers. Peter or Dave bought about half a trailer load of them and we shipped them down to the Baghdad Fair where we hired them out to the exhibitors. Trouble was they were much too big and not that reliable. After three or four journeys down to Baghdad and back they were knackered and we got rid of them. We then bought in some decent ones which were much smaller and reliable.

I remember the Bitola fridges and their journeys to and from Baghdad.

I loaded with the fridges from Bitola at least once. It’s the place I asked if there was somewhere to get something to eat… This caused lots of excited conversations and hand waving between the management. After a short while I was issued with a slip of paper and taken to the works canteen where the only food available was cabbage and bread (wish I hadn’t asked - although Yugo bread was always good). I later discovered that the factory was a prison and it was the prisoners who assembled the fridges.

The most exciting place to go in Bitola was the station cafe where I met a hunchback who took me on a tour of late night Bitola. Quite an interesting night meeting the local talent as everyone knew him. He spoke passable English too.

Hunchback…Local Talent…Late night Bitola!!! Blimey Efes… I wouldn’t have thought it unusual if you said Blue or Ramsey or Welly Ward had sampled the best that that god forsaken town in southern Yugo had to offer but you. No No No… I just can’t believe it…

I have had a private message from a TNUK contributor asking if I had any idea what happened to one of my old lorries. Before I reply I would like to thank him for the very encouraging words of support for the Promotor thread. Thank you, its always nice to know that what we are posting is appreciated. As for my old unit CJN 287X I cannot help you nor its sister unit CJN 286X. I know Efes drove my old unit for a while so perhaps he can help. However, five of our lorries were resprayed in Midland Bank colours and spent a year or two trundling round the UK doing very little work. I would have thought both of the CJN lorries were involved in that job. All I know is that once that job was wrapped up some of the units were sold off. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Promotor%20140.jpeg

Don’t it make you wanna weep when you see something like this rusting away. Jenson Intercepter, a British Icon.

P1120410.JPG

P1120411.JPG

Londra Camping. Then, as we knew it and now, well… not a lorry in sight. Suppose thats called evolution.

27545096_1934293943271379_9172593594259325557_n.jpg

36523865_2118319441535494_4222026540721897472_n.jpg

The road from Zagreb to Belgrade was a concrete strip. It was made in sections and over the years one section or the other rose slightly above the next. This made for a very uncomfortable ride and as each section was a set length it was like hearing the noise a train made as it passed over the joints in the track. I was going to say it was mesmerising but it was twenty times worse. Used to drive me crazy. There have been very few photos of this road. I found this one on our Italian colleague site.