Looking for someone, can you help, pleeeeeeese

:slight_smile: Hi everyone,
Now then I am new on here, and am on here for a bit of help pleeeeese.
How do I cut a long story short,… I will try.
I was married to Norman Houlton, that was back in 1967, he then drove for the Steel Co of Wales, the green lorries with the red dragons on the side.
He worked with a chap called Barry Baker, I can only describe Barry as having the biggest mop of curly ginger hair and a ginger beard, a biggish chap.
They remained friends, but in the 70’s Barry went on for Radclives and went off to the middle east. Our son Michael Houlton from the age of about four used to pack his little brown suitcase and his teddy bear, called trucker ted, and would often go with his dad. Sadly Norman passed away last week and Michael and I are trying to see if we can trace Barry. (Although Norman and I both remarried, we all remained friends). My son is also a lorry driver, working for Eddols International of Swindon Wilts. Norman also worked for John Raymond and Chris Hayter, and others.
We haven’t been in touch with Barry for a few years now, and believe he was at one point living in south wales. A couple of things we remember is Barry telling us he had been caught by bandits at one point and another driver had his thumb either broken or shot at by bandits. My son also remembers Barry going on some sort of either expedition or sales drive for Ford Transcontinental and they were followed by maybe the BBC. This was a trip beyond europe and at one point there was a worry as they hadn’t been heard of for three weeks, there were we think three lorries, but they were all stuck at the bottom of some mountain somewhere in the snow. It was over Christmas we believe.
The plea I know is an absolute shot in the dark, but you never know there could be someone on this site who remembers Barry.
Barry was also known for his deep sea diving off the Great Barrier Reef and also in Cornwall. Wherever he went he always had a tale to tell.
I will also tell you, and if we get in touch he will kill me, :laughing: he was also known for his morris dancing.
Well, that’s the story, if anyone does know anything, I hope to hear from you.
I do know Pete Pride organises the reunions for Radclives drivers, at least I think I am right there, so are you Pete on this site at all.
sitting here with fingers and toes crossed now,
Jen and son Michael. (Irma Scousa).

Hello Irma, welcome to the forum and please accept my condolences for you and your sons great loss :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Although I am unable to help you with your enquiry I’m sure that someone on the forum will be able to point you in the right direction and hopefully put you in contact with ‘Barry’.
I do know that a few ex. Radclives drivers post on the forum so someone might just be able to help you, really hope you find Barry.

Regards
Dave Penn;

There are even more members who just lurk without posting.

But Im sure if Rikki promises to allow a Morris Dancing thread, it may tempt a few more to break their cover :smiley:

davepenn54:
Hello Irma, welcome to the forum and please accept my condolences for you and your sons great loss :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Although I am unable to help you with your enquiry I’m sure that someone on the forum will be able to point you in the right direction and hopefully put you in contact with ‘Barry’.
I do know that a few ex. Radclives drivers post on the forum so someone might just be able to help you, really hope you find Barry.

Regards
Dave Penn;

How good to get a reply, at least we know we have done things right and the thread is being seen, thank you Dave, yes, lets hope someone can help it would be great, you never know, thanks again.
all the best
Jen.

Wheel Nut:
But Im sure if Rikki promises to allow a Morris Dancing thread, it may tempt a few more to break their cover :smiley:

Yeah right! Pull the other one,it’s got bells on! :wink: :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Line dancing was invented, so’s Morris dancers had something to laugh at!!!

Wheelnut and KW. Show a bit of respect there you 2. This is a serious post . Innit.■■ Your not supposed ter make us laff.

I know this may be a roundabout way of getting there but I used to sub to radclive when barry worked there, unfortunately I don’t have pete pride’s phone no but can give you mick shirley’s email address(transport manager at radclive at the time) who will have pete’ s number. if you email me at charlie.gethin@yahoo.co.uk I will send you mick’s address just out of interest the last time I saw barry was in the train station in piraeus greece when our paths crossed by accident when I was getting the metro up to my agent in athens and he was on some sort of world tour with his wife/girlfriend. thirty seconds either way and we would have missed each other.regards charlie

Just found this thread almost 16 years later, so, did you find Barry, Irma?