Another one strikes the bridge

Yorkielad:
A few month ago the A1 was shut on a night northbound between A639 and ferrybridge.
The diversion was down the 639 into Pontefract if you were under 14,6,over that it was down to south elmsall and into Ackworth way.
Anyway a couple of us were running back and went down the 639,just before the bridge the rozzers were there,they stopped me as I was at front and asked trailer height which I replied 14,2 he said you won’t mind if I measure it then,he seemed in a foul mood so I replied not a problem,he came back and said yeah your good,I remember seeing a well known n/east hauliers truck parked up about half mile before bridge,copper said he had to measure because he’d stopped someone 20 mins ago who was going to go under at 15,0
I chuckled and thought it must be him parked further up the road,copper had turned him round :blush:

That’s why they should sign post all diversion routes to cater for vehicles up to 16’6. That way for the drivers who can’t read signs or don’t know or can’t be bothered to change their height it’s all good. :smiley:

So that’s where I left the top of my trailer @ I’ve bin wondering where thy got to … :grimacing:

Impressive effort from DPD!

I was driving home over-tired a while back and had a moment of stone cold panic when I clocked I was about to go under a low bridge and didn’t know how tall I was. FUUUUUUUUUUUU-oh right, I’m in my car. :unamused: :blush:

That bridge on the A639 is marked up wrong. Coming south back to the A1 there are 3 or 4 advance notices of a 14’6" bridge but when you get there it’s 15’3".
I’ve been check measured there before when the A1 has been shut.

sent using smoke signals

commonrail:
And that bridge on Melton road,is at a lovely angle for slicing off ya roof :sunglasses:

Lol. …that’s what I thought. …just peeled the roof off.

mick.mh2racing:
That bridge on the A639 is marked up wrong. Coming south back to the A1 there are 3 or 4 advance notices of a 14’6" bridge but when you get there it’s 15’3".

sent using smoke signals

They changed the signs a few years ago which is when they became wrong. I notified the council but as you can see they didn’t care.

I’ve only ever seen the 14,6 signs coming from A1 at Barnsdale bar exit into Pontefract.
I’m certain it says 14,6 on bridge when you get there too…
The one on the 639 at knottingly end(ferrybridge way)has issues,they lifted that years ago but old signs are still there…

Castleford side of A639 sorry(past chep) :blush:
The knottingly ones on the A645…

nomiS36:

mick.mh2racing:

sent using smoke signals

They changed the signs a few years ago which is when they became wrong. I notified the council but as you can see they didn’t care.

They changed the bridge but not the signs. On approach the signs say 14,6 but when you get there it’s 15,3.
Good on you for telling the council, not surprised they did nothing

sent using smoke signals

the maoster:
Sleaford this week. You’ve got to admire his total commitment to keeping it lit no matter what and getting through the pesky bridge.

Along with…

The 7.5 ton limit he had to go through to flat pack it.

Wotta plank.

Did anyone see the double decker in the front yard at Amazon Rugeley last week. Someone made a splendid effort with that. Made it all the way through too, nearly sliced the back door off completely :astonished:

I found out today that railway bridges are not marked if more than 16’3". Seems silly when every other bridge across the road has to be 16’6" or marked accordingly.

Traffic signs You should be aware that traffic signs are provided at bridges to show the maximum permitted vehicle height when less than 16´-3˝ (4.95 metres):

Page 2 from this document

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … rivers.pdf

Yorkielad:
A few month ago the A1 was shut on a night northbound between A639 and ferrybridge.
The diversion was down the 639 into Pontefract if you were under 14,6,over that it was down to south elmsall and into Ackworth way.
Anyway a couple of us were running back and went down the 639,just before the bridge the rozzers were there,they stopped me as I was at front and asked trailer height which I replied 14,2 he said you won’t mind if I measure it then,he seemed in a foul mood so I replied not a problem,he came back and said yeah your good,I remember seeing a well known n/east hauliers truck parked up about half mile before bridge,copper said he had to measure because he’d stopped someone 20 mins ago who was going to go under at 15,0
I chuckled and thought it must be him parked further up the road,copper had turned him round :blush:

M62 closure the other night, I come off the motorway and at a junction there was a big sign saying “vehicles over 15’ ----->, vehicles under 15’<-------” . I felt a bit sad for the lone double decker taking the long way round, but at least there wasn’t any confusion.

Well, I did that same diversion again on Friday night. Come off the M62 at junction 31, figure out that beast of a roundabout and come to a big sign “diversion -follow square. 15’3” height limit on diversion, oversize vehicle follow circle". Being only 14’10" I followed the square. Unfortunately, so did the double deck asda lorry in front of me. Luckily, he stopped 100 yards or so before the arched bridge.