An email to the agency

OK, an update. I did receive a phone call from a senior manager today, he has read this thread, in fairness he does accept that something has gone wrong, does understand why I am feeling aggrieved, and has stated that their payroll department could have handled the situation differently.

Normally it might not have caused me such a problem but as most of you know I divide my year between narrowboating and work, and when I do go back to work it is because I have exhausted my savings. I was at the point on Monday where I could not even put diesel in my car to get to work on Tuesday. It wasn’t a case of me being “arsey”, but I’m not going to walk 16 miles to work and back.

I’m hoping I can get this resolved. Agency work does suit me because of the way I can dip in and out of it, I work to live, not live to work and so a permanent job isn’t what I’m looking for.

Whatever happens, I’m away on the boat next week with my boy, we’re going to Banbury. According to the AA route planner it’s 48 minutes by car, according to CanalPlanAC, which is a similar thing, it’s 21 hours and 12 minutes by boat. :stuck_out_tongue:

I cant speak personally about ENCOREPERSONNEL…but a mate of mine used to do work through ENCOREPERSONNEL and they didnt pay him for work he had done for them.so he sent ENCOREPERSONNEL an email stating he was doing no more work for them until they paid what they owed, which meant ENCOREPERSONNEL had lost a driver to a customer of theirs, and therefore caused them a few problems i would have imagined.
ENCOREPERSONNEL has not, to date paid any monies owing to this mate of mine, and so to get his head around ENCOREPERSONNEL witholding payments for work done, has taken his canal boat for a little cruise, a bit like a duck to water lol, but its all water off a ducks back to my mate worrying about ENCOREPERSONNEL and the missing payments, so he may have to revert to a county court summons in order to get what is rightfully his, which will hurt ENCOREPERSONNEL right where it hurts…in their pocket…and serves them right…happy cruising mate.

Harry Monk:
OK, an update. I did receive a phone call from a senior manager today, he has read this thread, in fairness he does accept that something has gone wrong, does understand why I am feeling aggrieved, and has stated that their payroll department could have handled the situation differently.

Normally it might not have caused me such a problem but as most of you know I divide my year between narrowboating and work, and when I do go back to work it is because I have exhausted my savings. I was at the point on Monday where I could not even put diesel in my car to get to work on Tuesday. It wasn’t a case of me being “arsey”, but I’m not going to walk 16 miles to work and back.

I’m hoping I can get this resolved. Agency work does suit me because of the way I can dip in and out of it, I work to live, not live to work and so a permanent job isn’t what I’m looking for.

Whatever happens, I’m away on the boat next week with my boy, we’re going to Banbury. According to the AA route planner it’s 48 minutes by car, according to CanalPlanAC, which is a similar thing, it’s 21 hours and 12 minutes by boat. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not sure if this is actually true but a bit bloody silly, if it is. (end of lecture :laughing: )

At least a senior manager has called and is trying to resolve the situation, especially after reading the comments…fair play to him…bu the wonder of the internet eh harry !

That’s good news,the fact that he accepts something “has gone wrong” must mean that Encore Personnel had already made the transfer of money from Encore Personnel’s account 5 mins before the senior manager from Encore Personnel called you :slight_smile:
Happy days :slight_smile:
Shame on Encore Personnel that you had to go to these lengths to get paid.Hope you charged them a late payment fee ?

Harry Monk:
OK, an update.
Snip

Have fun. Don’t forget your Banbury stick.

Own Account Driver:

Harry Monk:

Not sure if this is actually true but a bit bloody silly, if it is. (end of lecture :laughing: )

I haven’t worked since January, and although I do have diesel in my boat tank, it is red diesel which I can’t really use in my car. Like all boaters, I know I live an unconventional life but like everybody else I budget around the income I predict to receive, and my wages not being paid in on the due date threw me a bit of a curve ball.

Don’t you have a credit card for emergencies? Running out of fuel must be an emergency.

Dork Lard:

Harry Monk:

Radar19:
What is De Poel? And how does it relate to Encore Personnel?

DePoel is a blacklist which agencies use for troublesome drivers, such as drivers who expect to be paid their wages on time. However very few agencies and virtually no hauliers use it, so it isn’t very effective.

De Poel is much, MUCH more than this & IMO a very real & very clever, major enemy of todays LGV drivers.

Would a freedom of info request to an agency show that they are working with DePoel??

We could find out and have a thread showing all agencies using DePoel, and share elsewhere.

Drivers can then make their own choice on what agencies they use then [emoji6]

Yorkysays:-:
Don’t you have a credit card for emergencies? Running out of fuel must be an emergency.

No, I don’t have a credit card, I wouldn’t have one. I have a debit card but this only works if there is money in my account to pay for the transaction. When I stopped at the ATM on Monday there was no money in my account so I couldn’t get any diesel. By choice I live a hand-to-mouth existence. I appreciate that this is not the way that most people live but if a person doesn’t have any debt, then that debt can’t keep him awake at night. If I had been paid on time then I could have bought diesel for my car and gone to work the next day.

FOI requests are only to public bodies, but you can request data under the data protection act but only if that company has your info and/or has passed your info to a third party.

If I take over a tractor and it’s got no diesel in it, no fuel to be had at the yard etc, - I’ll offer to “go and get some” at the commencement of the duty (and ask for a fuel card there and then… - Don’t leave the yard without one unless you’ve got a full tank!) Any stalling as to “why I need not bother” is going to make me suspicious that I’m somehow supposed to fill it up at my own expense… I would have thought that the number of brudders running haulage yards was on the wane these days - but there are still such characters about that they’d expect to you pay before you’ve been paid for any work already done for that yard. :frowning:

Dork Lard:

Harry Monk:

Radar19:
What is De Poel? And how does it relate to Encore Personnel?

DePoel is a blacklist which agencies use for troublesome drivers, such as drivers who expect to be paid their wages on time. However very few agencies and virtually no hauliers use it, so it isn’t very effective.

De Poel is much, MUCH more than this & IMO a very real & very clever, major enemy of todays LGV drivers.

I think you are consuming the wrong mushrooms mate. Go to a reputable supermarket and you should end up with the correct items.

As for your post, it reeks of fear. Nobody fears anyone or anything in haulage. Card out and start for someone else the following day.

Get a grip.

Own Account Driver:

Harry Monk:

Exactly, Intermittent worker keeps no reserve in the bank and it’s the fault of the agency, :unamused:

del trotter:
Exactly, Intermittent worker keeps no reserve in the bank and it’s the fault of the agency, :unamused:

I calculate my finances on the basis of being paid on the due date. When I ran my own little transport company, everybody got paid as soon as the invoice hit the mat. I wouldn’t expect a large employer to be able to do the same, but I would expect to be alerted if my wages weren’t going to be paid when I was expecting them to be.

In fairness, Encore Personnel have acknowledged that there was a breakdown in communications about this.

Bit off topic but the way you live sounds quite nice Harry. Do you have to pay mooring/rent for your canal?

adam277:
Bit off topic but the way you live sounds quite nice Harry. Do you have to pay mooring/rent for your canal?

I pay £312 a year to the farmer against whose land I moor, and about £420 a year to the Canal and River Trust for the mooring licence. The boat licence costs just over £700 a year and the insurance is around £200 a year. I allow £150 a year for blacking ( the boat has to be lifted out of the water every three years and the underside painted with bitumen) and around £100 a year for maintenance which I do myself, an oil and filter change is about £25.

If I gave up work and became a continuous cruiser then I wouldn’t have to pay the first two items but would have to move the boat a reasonable distance (which isn’t defined but is generally accepted as being into another parish) every 14 days.

I also have to pay for diesel when I am cruising and my boat uses about 0.8 litres of red diesel an hour, red diesel on the canals is currently about 78p per litre. On the mooring I need to run the engine for a couple of hours a day to charge the batteries and provide hot water.

In the Winter I use about three bags of coal a week to keep warm but I buy it in the Summer and it is about £8.50 a bag.

It’s cheap living but you have to be totally into wanting to live on a boat, if you were just doing it to save money on rent then I couldn’t imagine anything worse. :wink:

Sounds like a lovely way to live actually

Harry Monk:

Own Account Driver:

Harry Monk:

I haven’t worked since January, and although I do have diesel in my boat tank, it is red diesel which I can’t really use in my car. Like all boaters, I know I live an unconventional life but like everybody else I budget around the income I predict to receive, and my wages not being paid in on the due date threw me a bit of a curve ball.

Having known you on here for a good number of years I doubt you’re daft enough to live paycheck to paycheck, like this, but I understand why it might make sense to say this.

switchlogic:
Sounds like a lovely way to live actually

You get a lot more community spirit. Someone who, near where I moored my boat, lived aboard well into his eighties with other boaters nearby looking out for him and I reckon he’d have been in a nursing home ten years earlier, than if he’d been in a house, and would probably have been lucky to have anyone else, who lived down his street, pop in to visit at all.