Almtone ltd and Canute Haulage

Almtone-owned Canute Group has narrowly avoided being wound up by HMRC after the taxman raised a petition against it. This came as the amount the firm owed to creditors ballooned to more than £135,000.

The action came as county court judgments (CCJs) against Almtone/Canute reached 10 with a collective value of £90,922, a total that has steadily climbed during the past few months.

Eight O-licence applications by Almtone, giving the trading name of Canute Logistics, remain under consideration by the Office of the Traffic Commissioner as they have been for the majority of the year.

Motor Transport Article

Canute will cease trading 21st December 2018.

They still expect their drivers to work for them this week but have not confirmed that they will be paid on the 28th December but have confirmed we will probably not and lose our planned holiday pay. Unless there is something else in the system for those on specific contracts.

Oh well.

View Topic

Saratoga:
Canute will cease trading 21st December 2018.

They still expect their drivers to work for them this week but have not confirmed that they will be paid on the 28th December but have confirmed we will probably not and lose our planned holiday pay. Unless there is something else in the system for those on specific contracts.

Oh well.

I suspect the Canute diesel fairies will be busy next week

It does seem strange to me that Canute couldn’t trade profitably. I did a bit for them last year through the agency and they seemed busy enough, with a fairly blue-chip customer base. They didn’t seem to be operating inefficiently, and provided warehousing as well as transport (this was at Baginton).

Strangely enough, although the work was supposed to be ongoing, the agency suddenly pulled me out and assigned me somewhere else without any explanation and I had suspicions at the time that it was some type of payment issue.

How it all went pear shaped…

2015 Long-standing customer William Sinclair Holdings goes into
administration leaving the group with a £1m debt.
This is addressed via the company’s discount invoicing facility.
However, this creates cashflow problems and leads to the sale and leaseback of two large sites.

May 2017 Canute is informed that a major long-standing contract (Wilko) is to
be terminated in September 2017.
This represents more than 30% of group revenue at this time (£30m).

August 2017 The business’s loss-making materials division is sold to Eddie
Stobart.

September 2017 Canute refinances with Aldermore Invoice Finance (AIF),
completing on 28 January 2018.
Before this, HMRC issues winding-up petitions against the group for £1.55m in respect of unpaid PAYE and VAT.
The taxman is repaid and the petitions dismissed following the refinancing.

January/February 2018 Immediately after the refinancing another large customer quits.
A drop in turnover and quiet trading period leads to a cash crunch, which is compounded after a £1m cash deposit is held while Canute transfers to a new clearing bank.

23 February 2018 HMRC issues new petitions for £780,000 in PAYE.
These are withdrawn as Canute’s directors have issued Notice of Intentions to settle the
debt.

15 March 2018 AIF makes an application to appoint administrators in a bid to exit
the business.
A return hearing date is set for 11 April. Efforts to market Canute for sale get under way.

26 March 2018 No formal offers for the business are made.
The application for interim O-licences under Almtone is begun in case administration is
unavoidable.

29 March 2018 The group completes another refinancing.
The intention is to repay AIF in full.
Personal guarantees secured against the property of Canute directors Arthur Marshall, Noel Marshall and
Steve Ely secure £3.9m from Nucleus.

10 April 2018 Canute Haulage Group director Noel Marshall issues a statement
after staff wages are paid late blaming the move to a new bank.
It comes as the Almtone O-licences enter the public domain.
Marshall tells staff that the company’s previous funder had obliged Canute to apply for “a number of
changes to be made to our O-licences and structures.
Nobody should be alarmed about this process”.

11 April 2018 AIF submits a request to withdraw its application for administration.
Nucleus attends the hearing and effectively replaces AIF.

11 May 2018 The firm is placed into administration with FRP Advisory handling affairs.

12 May 2018 Canute Haulage Group is sold in a pre-pack sale to Almtone.

6 December 2018 Almtone-owned Canute Group has narrowly avoided being wound up by HMRC after the taxman raised a petition against it.
This came as the amount the firm owed to creditors ballooned to more than £135,000.

13 December 2018 Almtone-owned Canute Group will cease trading ahead of Christmas with the loss of 600-plus jobs, after attempts to revive the business in May via a controversial pre-pack sale failed.

There’s more to this story still to come out. Like, where has all the pension money gone?

WhiteTruckMan:
There’s more to this story still to come out. Like, where has all the pension money gone?

The pension money was being deducted from the wages, then that stopped, then it restarted but according to the pension people it hasnt been paid since mid way through the year. I have yet to find out how much I will lose out but I expect it will be a year of contributions, or lack there of.

I wonder who will mop up their current work?

Harry Monk:
I wonder who will mop up their current work?

Give me an S====== :wink:

Personal guarantees secured against the property of Canute directors …

Wonder what’s going to happen there too - not sure I’d want to be puttong my house up against a business especially if its going through a series of problems.

On the other hand, assiming theres no get-out clause it might suggest its a more legit business failure just caused by a perfect storm of problems.

Am rather surprised the mentioned “they beginning with S” haven’t come knocking unless they just waiting to pickp the pieces amd maybe a few of the drivers. Likely not worse than the original employer.

Hopefully someone will come in quick as I know round here theres not much work. Good luck to all there.

A lot of the contracts were already gone, having moved on before that. Which is why the company reached this stage.

Just heard some of the pieces are being picked up by XPO. Not sure how much, but looks like they got in ahead of the green peril.

Almtone now in liquidation Friday 21st December 2018.

Losing the Wilko contract at short notice obviously finished them off, they have probably been treading water since then, they should have slimmed the lot down back then while they looked for new contracts.

I worked at Purfleet with an agency for a while earlier this year on a decent rate and it all seemed to be ticking over ok…

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Oh well, the “undercut the competition to below cost, and then run the job into the ground” business model has finally done them in. Not sure why anybody would expect any other outcome in the race to the bottom.

Incidentally I spoke to somebody at Sharpak recently, who told me how Canute had been running the contract so badly, the finally got kicked out. Guess how Canute got that contract in the first place…