O-LIcence

OK have a question here. I believe i know the answer but here goes…

You have a Haulage operator who has an o-licence for 10 vehicles and 4 trailers at his operating centre. In say Bedford

Can he then operate 7 vehicles and 4 trailers ( i Believe two are hired) out of a independant warehouse in say Cambridge. ie that warehouse operates the trucks and they are parked there on a regular basis overnight, weekends etc, and going back to the operating centre very rarely. Now as all the vehicles have o-licences in the window i assume they are from the existing fleet.

As you suspect, no. They should be returning to the operating center. Regarding the hired trailers, if these are in addition to the four he already operates,the O licence may have provision for hiring.

Hi thanks connor for th response . As i thought, , but a second opinion is always good and it helps to know the enemy so to speak.

motionlotion:
OK have a question here. I believe i know the answer but here goes…

You have a Haulage operator who has an o-licence for 10 vehicles and 4 trailers at his operating centre. In say Bedford

Can he then operate 7 vehicles and 4 trailers ( i Believe two are hired) out of a independant warehouse in say Cambridge. ie that warehouse operates the trucks and they are parked there on a regular basis overnight, weekends etc, and going back to the operating centre very rarely. Now as all the vehicles have o-licences in the window i assume they are from the existing fleet.

This would be a major variation to an application

dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/G … r%2009.pdf

WHAT ARE THE PROCEDURES FOR APPLYING FOR A MAJOR VARIATION? (EXCLUDING CHANGE OF LICENCE TYPE)
7.10 You must complete a form GV81 and send it with an application fee to your Traffic Area Office at least 9 weeks before you need the extra vehicles or change of operating centre. Neither additional vehicles nor additional operating centres can be used until the application has been granted and the varied licence issued, unless interim authority has been given. Details of current fee levels are published and available for download from www.businesslink.gov.uk/transport or from the VOSA Contact Centre on 0300 123 9000.

Cheers wheel nut as i thought can i pm you with full facts here. regards

I had to move yards at short notice once, had some 'stard nicking my diesel and then somehow a trailer load of air conditioners was unloaded during the night, even though the bloke that owned the yard lived right outside the gates, he never saw the thieves artic turn up in his yard and steal my load, even though the yard had motion sensitive lights that would give you arc eye, the curtains would twitch when anyone had a really early start, the padlock on the gate wasn’t broken either :unamused: As a result I got out of there that day, I told VOSA what had happened and they gave me permission to move my operating center, but I had to have a new application in for the new yard, with newspaper advert etc, within the following fortnight.

I also had a driver who lived in Kent, he was working out of a place close to his house and I got permission to park there, when I had a visit from VOSA (just a once every couple of years excuse for me to buy the breakfast :laughing: ) they told me off for it, during the week was no problem, but weekends were, I told the VOSA man that the driver was living in the lorry as his old woman had turfed him out and that he stayed there at weekends so he was close to his kids etc, he gave me a ‘yeah I’ll give you that one clever bollox’ look and said that it should, as Wheelnut says, be down as a variation to my operating center, can’t remember if it needed an advert in the paper, I no longer worked for that customer so didn’t do it anymore :wink:

Thanks for the response new mercman. i know the score and have had motors parked up all over uk where drivers live lol, and i know that you have to go for a variation, sometimes if the new yard has had an o-licence you can get away without advertising but its up the te tc.
Was just checking my facts. to be honest it doesnt worry me what they do. Until it effects me then i like to be forarmed so to speak.