O- Licence Application?

Hi All.

Need to apply now for a restricted licence for a 7.5 ton for the first time that we already now own.

But i hope in the very near future to add a 6 wheeler grab tipper to the olicence but this will be standard o licence and the possibility of maybe another restricted 7.5 tonner as well.

Tell me on the application form i obviously put the 7.5 tonner that we already own complete with lorry details reg no etc but what about the other two lorrys i may well purchase i have no details yet but can i add them to the new o licence and give details later??

Also would the transport application place need to see i have the money in the bank for the 7.5 tonner we already own but not the other two or would they want to see i have enough money at the time of the application for all three even though two are not bought yet?? because if thats the case they would want to see £3100.00 for the first restricted vehicle another £1700 for the additional restricted and £6200.00 for the first standard authorised vehicle.

So do they want bank statements showing £3100 clear usuable funds or £11000 clear usable funds even though ive not bought the other two lorries yet??

Help. sorry to be so thick but ploughing my way through the o licence application now, blimey nightmare when you dont fully understand! This is all new to me!

Thanks lads.

Tricky Dicky.

Going by Memory here so I stand to be corrected

If you only apply for the 1 vehicle then you will need to submit another application at a later date to increase the number of vehicles and trailers if you intend adding trailers to the fleet.

You need to show sufficient funds for the vehicles you apply for on the licence even if you have not bought them yet, basically in a nutshell, you need to show you have the cash to maintain what your licenced for.

you can’t “pick and mix” an o Licence ! you either have a restricted licence or a standard one :wink:

you can either apply for a one vehicle licence now and submit a variation later ( which would only need to show available money for one vehicle )

or apply for a three vehicle licence, specifying one vehicle and leaving a margin for the other two ( but you would have to show £6200 +£3400 +£3400 = £13000 available finance - this can be as cash in the bank or a loan/credit card that is available but unused)

Denis F:
you can’t “pick and mix” an o Licence ! you either have a restricted licence or a standard one :wink:

you can either apply for a one vehicle licence now and submit a variation later ( which would only need to show available money for one vehicle )

or apply for a three vehicle licence, specifying one vehicle and leaving a margin for the other two ( but you would have to show £6200 +£3400 +£3400 = £13000 available finance - this can be as cash in the bank or a loan/credit card that is available but unused)

We applied to increase our O licence last year and had to go through the whole proceedure of advertising in the local press, finacial information, maintainence contracts etc.

VOSA also reccomended having a margin on your O licence to cover things like hire vehicles, for breakdowns or extra work. Although I think it’s easier to go from restricted O licence to standard, just need to have a CPC holder as not a great deal changes to the Operating centre or how you work to affect other people.

you can apply for spare places but i think this only allows for having the vehicle for up to a month?!

If you know you are going to need the extra wagons apply for 3 now. They will also want to know that you have space to park 3, the money to maintain 3, the money to pay for a standard license and a qualified transport manager.

Easiest thing to do it contact them, they are normally helpful enough.

you may what to read this

you said

So do they want bank statements showing £3100 clear usuable funds or £11000 clear usable funds even though ive not bought the other two lorries yet??

this is what there want

WHAT ARE THE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS?
3.6 You must satisfy the Traffic Commissioner that you will keep your vehicles fit and
serviceable at all times. The Traffic Commissioner will want to see a copy of any
maintenance contract or letter of agreement with a garage if you do not do this work
yourself. Examples of the forms used for vehicle safety inspections will be required by the
Traffic Commissioner regardless of whether or not the work is carried out by a garage.
The “Guide to Maintaining Roadworthiness”, produced by the Department for Transport
in partnership with the transport industry, gives full advice about the requirements for
maintenance arrangements. Copies are available from The Stationery Office and other
sources. See Appendix 14.

WHAT ARE THE FINANCIAL REQUIREMENTS?
3.7 For all types of licence, the Traffic Commissioner has to be satisfied that you have adequate
financial resources to keep your vehicles fit and serviceable. You are asked to give details
on the application form of any recent bankruptcy, insolvency, liquidation or disqualification in
relation to a company. Applicants are asked for details of financial resources and to give
supporting evidence (such as bank statements and statement of
assets, or most recent accounts).

3.8 For a standard licence, the financial requirements go still further. You will also need to
satisfy the Traffic Commissioner that you have adequate financial resources to start up and
run the road haulage business properly. As well as assets (such as your vehicles and
premises) there must be enough working capital (such as cash, loan facilities, or other
assets that can be turned quickly into cash) to cover all expenses that are likely to arise
before any money is earned to meet them. An applicant for a standard licence may be
asked for details of your expected income and expenditure. The VOSA Contact Centre can
provide details of the level of funding required.

Cynic-al:
you can apply for spare places but i think this only allows for having the vehicle for up to a month?!

If you know you are going to need the extra wagons apply for 3 now. They will also want to know that you have space to park 3, the money to maintain 3, the money to pay for a standard license and a qualified transport manager.

Easiest thing to do it contact them, they are normally helpful enough.

You can only have an extra vehicle, hired or not, month, week or year if you have a margin for it.

You are confusing the issue, you are getting mixed up with hiring in an extra vehicle during busy periods. You have to notify the TC and put the extra vehicle on the O licence after a month

Denis F:

So if we cant " pick n mix" what do we go for then if our 2x 7.5 tonners are carrying our own goods and could be run on restricted but our 6x4 grab runs on a standard national ■■?

Do we then have to run all three vehicles on a standard o licence with a transport manager then having to look after all three( including the 2 x 7.5 tonners) ■■?

If they have to be all run on a standard olicence please correct me but i would need to show cleared fund on my application form of £6200 + £3400 + £3400 = £13000.00 ■■?

Thank you.

Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky:

Denis F:

So if we cant " pick n mix" what do we go for then if our 2x 7.5 tonners are carrying our own goods and could be run on restricted but our 6x4 grab runs on a standard national ■■?

Do we then have to run all three vehicles on a standard o licence with a transport manager then having to look after all three( including the 2 x 7.5 tonners) ■■?

If they have to be all run on a standard olicence please correct me but i would need to show cleared fund on my application form of £6200 + £3400 + £3400 = £13000.00 ■■?

Thank you.

Tricky Dicky

i found this for you just in case you have not got it it explain the full requirement for an operator licence

Goods Vehicle Operator Licensing

you can save a copy as well