Almtone ltd and Canute Haulage

Meggan63:
In response to post 612 re non-payment of wages at Canute last week

Al depots were advised that due to the new wage processing procedure the wages would be going in on the Friday (correct day off payment)
Instead of the Thursday (a day earlier).

People should get there facts correct before posting.

This is just another branch of the media Meggan. You don’t honestly expect accuracy and the truth do you? This lot are no worse or better than profeshunil jurnalists. :wink:

There comes a point where you undercut other hauliers to a point where you really can’t make it pay. Good to see the chickens having found a home…

Meggan63:
In response to post 612 re non-payment of wages at Canute last week

Al depots were advised that due to the new wage processing procedure the wages would be going in on the Friday (correct day off payment)
Instead of the Thursday (a day earlier).

People should get there facts correct before posting.

No-one told the Midlands depots at all. All the office staff would repeat is that there was an administrative error with the bank.

[Removed . do not make comment alledge or speculate on a companies financial situation without providing proof]
Read the forum rules

Gardner6LYT:
[Removed . do not make comment alledge or speculate on a companies financial situation without providing proof]

Start haulage company.
Run shoestring operation.
Undercut competition.
Run up debts.
(Get family member to set up haulage company)
Transfer work to ‘other’ company.
Go bust.

Rinse and repeat. Until you run out of eligible family members…

Gardner6LYT:

is that fact ■■? can you provide a link to this info please…

I am sorry but I do not know how to put a link on the system, [Removed . do not make comment alledge or speculate on a companies financial situation without providing proof]

Gardner6LYT:
I am sorry but I do not know how to put a link on the system,

Links can be added by copying them from your browser and putting them between the URL tags. These are created by clicking on the URL button in the message editor. An example is link to website pasted here :wink:

Just to re-iterate the earlier post from DieselDave on speculation.

dieseldave » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:48 pm
Guys…

Speculation doesn’t help anybody, so let’s stick to proper facts… preferably with a link to the source.

Thanks!! :smiley:

Gardner6LYT:
Read the forum rules

IMHO it is scandalous that if a CCJ is granted against a company or individual (and I’m not saying that this has happened here) that this information is not immediately placed in the public domain.

Yeah, you might as well just kick them when they’re down too.

What about those companies that have had a run of bad luck and are trying to keep going to keep all their staff in work, and not go to the wall.

There are two sides to every coin, three if you balance it on the edge.

Saratoga:
Yeah, you might as well just kick them when they’re down too.

What about those companies that have had a run of bad luck and are trying to keep going to keep all their staff in work, and not go to the wall.

There are two sides to every coin, three if you balance it on the edge.

As a company that has exposure to Canute Group, I sympathise with the position of their staff but would much rather have full information so that I can decide if I want to expose myself further to them. As it is, these little tidbits of information that you get off here or in CM are about all you have to go on. After all, my success and the success of any staff I take on in the future is based on the decisions I make now about who to do work with. Knowing that there is a strong chance of late payment and some concern over the future viability of the business, I wouldn’t be inclined to offer terms to Canute in future.

I’ve been let down a lot recently by late payments or non-payments and cant take the risk of putting more eggs in the credit basket. Based on what little I know, and that poorly worded, ‘keep calm and carry on’ statement above, I’d rather run it empty than risk waiting for payments from Canute which might never come or will likely come late.

nsmith1180:
… After all, my success and the success of any staff I take on in the future is based on the decisions I make now about who to do work with.

This. ^^^

It’s also one of the reasons that we insist on ‘info’ being properly referenced or linked to a credible source.

Rumours, gossip and “a driver told me” have no place when so much can depend on correct info.

:bulb: However, even credible info still has to be carefully weighed.

[OK]

I originally posted this reference to the above and surprise surprise Motor Transports website states the worst has happened,a pre pack to Almtone ltd has taken place.the worrying thing is that everybody could work out what the directors were up to and yet Mr Marshall said there was not a problem.
The big knock on effect is creditors will have to wipe there face over the money they are owed which if you look at the latest accounts on gov beta will be at least 8m.
How Vosa can give these people a new licence defies logic.

motortransport.co.uk/blog/2018/ … o-almtone/

I wonder what is going on here,I believe that this scenario is not working out,I am told 35 trailers have been put into CVA Auctions and two finance companies are looking to take two parcels of 10 and 13 trailers under there control.

Yes. They got rid of 60 trailers last week. They went to Gamston to be sold.

We all know what trust is like in the trucking industry, so I will let you draw your own conclusions.

Canute Haulage Group facing legal action from its former pallet network
Aug 17, 2018

Pallet-Track is preparing legal action against the new owner of Canute Haulage Group over a £50,000 debt, MT can reveal. Canute was a Pallet-Track member and covered multiple postcodes including CA, LA, TD, DG and RM. However, Pallet-Track is understood to have served Canute its notice in March, ahead of its controversial pre-pack, over concerns regarding the service the member was delivering and poor communication.
Canute was working its notice when it made its move to stave off insolvency via a CVA, which was completed on the 12 July. This has left Pallet-Track an unsecured creditor of the old business, which is in administration, £56,000 out of pocket, according to Pallet-Track MD Nigel Parkes. “The pre-pack happened over a weekend,” Parkes told MT.”There was the switch to the new owner Almtone and on Monday it kept trading. It took us about two weeks to get official confirmation that it had been a pre-pack, rather than a sale as a going concern.” Parkes said that while Pallet-Track could have got rid of Canute as the point of administration as the new business was not contracted to the network, he chose to instigate a gentleman’s agreement and gave the operator two weeks to get its house in order. The Pallet-Track boss said that he was conscious Canute employed more than 800 people and at the point of the agreement did not want to add to a precarious situation that might affect them. In the time it traded as a Pallet-Track member, Canute’s new owner Almtone racked up another £50,000 debt to the business. Parkes said that despite chasing this payment he has had no success, and contacted his lawyer on 6 August to begin legal proceedings.
Three new members have been recruited to cover the postcodes previously operated by Canute: J Dickinson Transport covers CA, TD, and DG; Cannons Transport the LA region; and TW Road Haulage, which covers a section of RM. Speaking to MT last month Canute sales director David Emslie confirmed the departure. “On the Pallet-Track situation, the old Canute business was a member of the network and The Almtone acquisition did nullify our previous agreements with Pallet-Track. “Canute have now left the Pallet-Track network and for the time being are operating an independent solution for our customers by utilising our 14 UK depots. Clearly the benefits of being a pallet network member are not lost on us and we are currently in discussions with a number of networks to help decide upon our future strategy.”

“and we are currently in discussions with a number of networks to help decide upon our future strategy…”

And of course people like Pallet Force or similar dont possibly talk to Pallet Track and will gladly give you a contract to run up another 50K of debt. Off the blinking planet!

Got to wonder how anyone runs up 50K if debt as the new company in just 2 weeks following on from a previous 50K on the old company. Hope they don’t try partnering with our lot (one of the smaller independent networks).

Think Canute HQ is just up the road. Wonder if all the workers wil get screwed over with a new contract, pensions etc.

trevHCS:
“and we are currently in discussions with a number of networks to help decide upon our future strategy…”

And of course people like Pallet Force or similar dont possibly talk to Pallet Track and will gladly give you a contract to run up another 50K of debt. Off the blinking planet!

Got to wonder how anyone runs up 50K if debt as the new company in just 2 weeks following on from a previous 50K on the old company. Hope they don’t try partnering with our lot (one of the smaller independent networks).

Think Canute HQ is just up the road. Wonder if all the workers wil get screwed over with a new contract, pensions etc.

So they’re talking to Pallet ways then [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk