Albion

Alan Firmin ran a few Albions.

alan firmin#.jpg

AN interesting model specifacation:

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … uble-drive

cav551:

I had forgotten about them using the AEC engine and 'box, I believe that RMC operated some?

Pete.

windrush:

cav551:

I had forgotten about them using the AEC engine and 'box, I believe that RMC operated some?

Pete.

There is one preserved Pete, ex RMC, then Dudley Readymix and now back in RMC livery I think.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Lawrence,

Looks like Beverley Bar

One of Rippondens motors

img024.jpg

IIRC there was the Chieftain ( CH3 ?) with the Albion 4 cyl engine. Then there was Chieftain Super Six which had the Leyland 350 or 375 engine, not just sure which. Then there was the 16 ton gvw Clydesdale. They all had the same axle and gear box IIRC. This is a shot of the only Albion I had at Bewick Transport and I bought it second hand off John McGuffie who had bought it from Brady’s who in turn , apparently, got in a deal with a firm they bought out in London. Neither John McG. or Bradys ran it and it hadn’t done a lot of work either by the condition it was in. It had what I termed a typical Cockney “Fruit and Veg” all ali flat with cab high Headboard and Sheet box on the cab roof. We use to put 9 ton on it regularly and ran it at 14 ton gvw until it had to be tested and plated which is what had just happened in the shot of it at Milnthorpe MOT Station, so it was a sad day when it got knocked back to IIRC about 11:75 gvw or thereabouts ! :cry: :wink: It was great little motor for us “As reliable as the Sunrise” but I decided to sell it and from memory a Farmer/hay and straw dealer jumped at it for £1,000 and I only paid £500 for it :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Lawrence Dunbar:

I guess that nice shot of the well sheeted LAD Albion would make it a 16 ton gvw Clydesdale. Cheers Bewick.

Here are a couple of "newbies.!

D26488FB-12BD-4E46-9BFC-144779CD95F9.jpeg

atlas man:
One of Rippondens motors

That`s Jack Butterworth ( Albion Jack ) stood in front of the motor. Sadly no longer with us. He was a die hard Albion fan who worked for Rippoden and district for many years.
Good friend, sadly missed. GBW.

5thwheel:

I reckon those two “ladies” would have been total Albion before Leyland took over so I wonder what the driveline spec would have been ? Cheers Bewick.

Early examples in Australia, all credit to Bruce Paroissien for the photos.
Oily

OZ Bruce Paroissien cc by nc sa 2.0 3436203279_a3f667764c_o.BPjpg (1)rs.jpg

Bewick:

5thwheel:

I reckon those two “ladies” would have been total Albion before Leyland took over so I wonder what the driveline spec would have been ? Cheers Bewick.

Dennis, they’re FT111R Chieftain-Scammells. Albion 4 -potter, 5 speed or later a 6 speed overdrive box, Eaton 2 speed as there wasn’t room for an Albion overhead worm diff under the special chassis for the Scammell coupling.
Bernard

albion1938:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Dennis, they’re FT111R Chieftain-Scammells. Albion 4 -potter, 5 speed or later a 6 speed overdrive box, Eaton 2 speed as there wasn’t room for an Albion overhead worm diff under the special chassis for the Scammell coupling.
Bernard

Thanks for the explanation Bernard ! So was it pre Leyland takeover or after ? They would have been quite lively performers in their day with having the Eaton 2 speed axle I reckon. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

albion1938:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Bernard

Thanks for the explanation Bernard ! So was it pre Leyland takeover or after ? They would have been quite lively performers in their day with having the Eaton 2 speed axle I reckon. Cheers Dennis.

The reg nos. on those motors put them at 1957 Dennis. Albion “merged” with Leyland in 1951, then became part of British Leyland in 1968 but kept their own identity until 1972 when the Albion badge disappeared. By the early '60s the Leyland influence had gradually got stronger, engines were just about all Leyland, the 4 pot in those artics was probably the last true Albion engine, design dated back to not long after the war. They built chassis for Chieftain, Clydesdale and Reiver until 1980 that were fitted with the Bathgate G cab and badged Leyland, after that it was just transmissions and axles. They’re still making axles and other bits in Glasgow now but US owned after starting with a management buyout from Leyland.
Bernard

Thanks again for that Bernard ! Now I thought by the looks of them that they would have been a few years older than 1957 particularly in respect of the SOM fleet so I wonder if they had been purchased for a particular job as they were fitted with Scammell couplings and not 5th wheels. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Thanks again for that Bernard ! Now I thought by the looks of them that they would have been a few years older than 1957 particularly in respect of the SOM fleet so I wonder if they had been purchased for a particular job as they were fitted with Scammell couplings and not 5th wheels. Cheers Dennis.

Albion started introducing the LAD cab as standard in 1958, the Chieftain-Scammell was the last model to get it in 1960 so coach-built with outside rad until then, and if you were “old school” you could still order the other models as a chassis scuttle and have a cab built so some you saw were not as old as they looked. From 1972 when BL started putting the Bathgate cab with Leyland badges on what were still Scots built Albions underneath, a few traditional Scots hauliers who bought them stripped the Leyland lettering off and fitted Albion rising sun badges, I saw one back in the day with a local haulier in Dunbar.
You could be right about SOM, not the sort of motors you usually associate with them.
Regards, Bernard

1935, predates all of us old ■■■■■. :smiley:

The chaps may be Bill Lithgow & Jimmy Agnew

117314236_2781742608776213_3291268392693140160_n.jpg

Albions too? One here for A-J!

217702790_2872947396279884_4908675855491448186_n.jpg