A question for Albion buffs

I’ve just bought this off e-bay, soley for decoration on the garage wall , I’m not trying to assemble a whole lorry. Anyway the question is,which model is it most likely to have come off. Come on Bernard I’m sure you will be one of the first to reply. Cheers Haddy.

004.JPG

haddy:
I’ve just bought this off e-bay, soley for decoration on the garage wall , I’m not trying to assemble a whole lorry. Anyway the question is,which model is it most likely to have come off. Come on Bernard I’m sure you will be one of the first to reply. Cheers Haddy.

I drove a Albion Chieftian a 1956 Reg, Im sure the wheel was the same, ■■, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

haddy:

I drove a Albion Chieftian a 1956 Reg, Im sure the wheel was the same, ■■, Regards Larry.

I agree Larry, for some reason the Albion had wire spokes & Leylands of the same period & similar cab were thicker with plastic spokes.

At Ripponden and District,our late 50s Chieftains and Claymores had this type of wheel.Also the first few LAD cabbed Chieftains had them,but soon changed to the plastic spoked ones with the white plastic centre cap
Regards John.

Hi David, you OK? I’m with the others on this, it’s off a newer model than mine, possibly one of the late fifties coachbuilt models, or an early LAD. Prewar and early post war, the wheel was held on by a big exposed domed nut with no cap. As old 67 says the later LAD and ergo cab models had a solid spoked wheel with a coloured plastic badge, so yours would fall somewhere in between. Something a bit different to hang on the wall!
Bernard

This is the chieftain this ones out of.

On the subject of Albion steering wheels, a true story. My late brother’s mate (also long gone to the big transport cafe in the sky) drove a Reiver tipper for a well-known fenland firm. He was driving on one of those roads that zig-zag across the fens well loaded with beet. He got to a 90 degree right-hander, gave the wheel a good heave, it came off in his hands! Luckily, there was a farm drive straight in front, he managed to brake gently to a halt. Before he’d even gathered his senses, the farmer’s wife was on him “you’ve got a bloody cheek turning round in my drive mate!”. He waved the wheel at her. " Oh, well that’s alright then mate, you’d better come in for a cup of tea then, expect you’ll be needing it!"
Bernard

Were they ‘standard’ Bluemels spoked wheels as fitted to BMC’s etc from that period?

Pete.

Many thanks gentlemen for the replies. Regards Haddy.