AEC Badge and a Scrapyard

Sheeter:
Here you are Mal, as an ex-handballer of bricks, this link to a interview with an old boy who drove for Marston Valley Brick Co. I can remember them using some Mammoth Majors.

marstonvale.org/oralhistory/interview3.html

thats an interesting link sheeter! 300 motors is quite a big firm. i would have like the 8 wheeler & artc best, the 4 wheeler men did 2 loads of 2500 or 3500 a day on middle distance it seems. id habve gone for the 7500 once a day on distance!

this bit made me laugh

He had a big Riley car he used to go out in every day. If he saw you stopped in a layby on your own, he’d toot you (and wave) but if there was two or three of you, he’d say, what are you stopped for? “Have a wee, sir” and he’d go round the wheels to see if you’d done it!

marky, you neve rknow what twists and turns life can throw you, you might become a lorry driver one day, if you really wanted it! ive learned to play keyboards, piano, organ, whatever, in 1 year, i never touched one before dec 04. i had the heart attack and was taken off the road forscibly. i did mope for 3 months, then did soemthing new i can manage sitting down, so i learned to read music from a book and hey presto a year on, and im not bad for a beginner. you never know old pal! :wink: :smiley:

You’re right Mal - thanks to the year turning, I now have annual leave to do the training, and I can afford to do it now (which has never been the case before).

The trouble is, I’m struggling to justify the expense to myself, when - being realistic I can never visualise myself doing it as a full-time occupation.

I’m not cab-happy, because I know only too well of the down-siide to the job (this site has only re-inforced what I already knew to be true), but I have this nagging voice in the back of my mind that’s telling me if I don’t do it soon I might never do it at all.

This is the one thing I’ve wanted to be able to do since I’ve been old enough to walk & talk; I drove wagons before I drove cars as a teenager (off public roads), but knew I would be in deep do-do if I even raised the subject at home. Father drove and saw the bad side of the job - he did his best to spare me from it and succeeded up to now.

Let’s see what the year brings…

Marky,
I know the motor you are on about but not my senior, but was he an ex-brick man working out of ‘NORI’ for Gilbraiths years ago?.

i think if you count justifiying the cost there s a alot of things youd never do! i say try and go for it and damne the cost, thats IF it’s summat you really want. my keyboard here coast £1400 second hand! and in relaity it was unjustified, though i tried to justify it by saying i could earn money round the clubs playing it! i could have got a suitable one for a lot lot less. but the bride said stop being so bloody tight, if you really want it buy it, you might be dead tommorow! so i did! :laughing: :laughing: moneys nice but at the end of the day its only a barter.

Taskman:
Marky,
I know the motor you are on about but not my senior, but was he an ex-brick man working out of ‘NORI’ for Gilbraiths years ago?.

Considering that he has only a short time to go before he retires (age 65), he must be considered your senior.

I don’t ever remember him talking about working on the bricks though.

Taskman:
Marky,

Yes, he did work out of there for a while, but was never dedicated to that job (unlike some at the time). Jack Bradley, Martin’s scrap, W H Bowker were also former employers of this person.

If you are 58, he is most definitely your senior and is counting the pay-days to retirement.

Marky,
And good luck to the ‘Old Boy’ in his retirement, was it him I saw the other week with a blow out on which motorway I can’t remember, :wink:

marky:
You’re right Mal - thanks to the year turning, I now have annual leave to do the training, and I can afford to do it now (which has never been the case before).

The trouble is, I’m struggling to justify the expense to myself, when - being realistic I can never visualise myself doing it as a full-time occupation.

I’m not cab-happy, because I know only too well of the down-siide to the job (this site has only re-inforced what I already knew to be true), but I have this nagging voice in the back of my mind that’s telling me if I don’t do it soon I might never do it at all.

This is the one thing I’ve wanted to be able to do since I’ve been old enough to walk & talk; I drove wagons before I drove cars as a teenager (off public roads), but knew I would be in deep do-do if I even raised the subject at home. Father drove and saw the bad side of the job - he did his best to spare me from it and succeeded up to now.

Let’s see what the year brings…

At least you’ve a wagon readily available to take the test in!! When I took the younger Dubious Brother down to Kirkham to take his test in Ethel, the examiner came over to me afterwards to thank me for letting him ride round in such a wonderful motor!

For those not in the know, my young associate passed his test first time in 1996 in an Atkinson Viewline with a 150 Gardner and David Brown ‘box, and coupled to a Noteboom 40/60’ tri-axle trombone. The candidate alongside him at the start with a Ford Cargo and a single axle trailer didn’t even make it as far as the public road!

He’s regressed since then - last seen driving a XF Space Cab!!

marky:
He’s regressed since then - last seen driving a XF Space Cab!!

Kids today, leave 'em on their own for 5 years and they start misbehaving…

240 Gardner:
For those not in the know, my young associate passed his test first time in 1996 in an Atkinson Viewline with a 150 Gardner and David Brown ‘box, and coupled to a Noteboom 40/60’ tri-axle trombone. The candidate alongside him at the start with a Ford Cargo and a single axle trailer didn’t even make it as far as the public road!

what a great motor to take your test in! ive got a picture of that lorry and it is a pearler.

it was a very proud day when i passed, and sammy jones of aldrige used to give out a little enamel badge when you passed, daft i know, but i was chuffed to death and proud of mine.

i admit, i took mine in a ford artic a g-reg, a d1000 :question: i think “custom cab” :laughing: and the gearbox made the job easier no doubt. we did have a full size tandem behind us though.

i could only afford the week course, and was over the moon that i passed. so was my instructor, a great bloke by the way, terry was over the moon and looked gladder than me, who i can remember till today, i believe he’s passed on now though. i think he realised id save dhard fro my night breakdowns on the tyres, and was skint it was ■■■■ or bust!

he did some shouting and balling at me terry did over the period of that week, and ■■■■■■ my frame from pillar to post. for the life of him couldnt get me to reverse right. then he, in desprearation sent an old boy called ■■■■ to have go. in about 5 mins i was cured, the problem was of course too much wheel!

i never forgot the teqchniqhe he showed me, i use it till today, and can honestlty say ive never failed to get in a place however tight. forward plan the postiion of the motor going forward to the best advantage (good for stiff steering), then just break the pin and follow the trailer he said, simple as that! :laughing:

Mal:

240 Gardner:

what a great motor to take your test in! ive got a picture of that lorry and it is a pearler.

it was a very proud day when i passed, and sammy jones of aldrige used to give out a little enamel badge when you passed, daft i know, but i was chuffed to death and proud of mine.

i admit, i took mine in a ford artic a g-reg, a d1000 :question: i think “custom cab” :laughing: and the gearbox made the job easier no doubt. we did have a full size tandem behind us though.

i could only afford the week course, and was over the moon that i passed. so was my instructor, a great bloke by the way, terry was over the moon and looked gladder than me, who i can remember till today, i believe he’s passed on now though. i think he realised id save dhard fro my night breakdowns on the tyres, and was skint it was [zb] or bust!

he did some shouting and balling at me terry did over the period of that week, and [zb] my frame from pillar to post. for the life of him couldnt get me to reverse right. then he, in desprearation sent an old boy called ■■■■ to have go. in about 5 mins i was cured, the problem was of course too much wheel!

i never forgot the teqchniqhe he showed me, i use it till today, and can honestlty say ive never failed to get in a place however tight. forward plan the postiion of the motor going forward to the best advantage (good for stiff steering), then just break the pin and follow the trailer he said, simple as that! :laughing:

'tis a pearler indeed, and it broke my heart to part with it after 19 years. Of course, I still have the 6x2 Atki (seen several times on here) that I took my own test on in 1981.

it must be great to own an atki of your own 240, and drive it when you like! do you ever gross it up to 32 ton so as to feel the pull and hear the engine on a bank? nothing these days had a sound like that, especially the 180’s.

have you seen the one in the jan 06 copy of the heritage commercials? in a wine/marroon colour, it is absolutely beuatifull to behold! the colour is real nice.

Mal:
it must be great to own an atki of your own 240, and drive it when you like! do you ever gross it up to 32 ton so as to feel the pull and hear the engine on a bank? nothing these days had a sound like that, especially the 180’s.

have you seen the one in the jan 06 copy of the heritage commercials? in a wine/marroon colour, it is absolutely beuatifull to behold! the colour is real nice.

It certainly is Mal! Though, sadly, I’m no longer in the position of being able to drive it when I want to, as the wagon is living in nice snug accomodation in Shropshire whilst my trailers are in Southampton. Oh, and I’m in Newbury!

Since I no longer have a job where I’m based in a transport depot, I can’t keep the wagon at work, and there’s no room at home. That’s one of the main reasons why the Viewline had to go.

As for the weights? Do I ever! Have a look at this

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … c&start=30

and you can see the trailer that I still own - it’s an ex-RTITB ballasted trailer with pallets of (rock hard) scrap cement added to increase the fun. Some people think I’m mad, but I love it! Hate bouncing around in empty lorries!

And you’re right - just listening to the bark is terrific :smiley:

i dont think youre mad at all! like you say, the bark is terrific, and it aint the same unless theres a good dollop of weight on, those engines were born for hard work and they need it im sure even in retirement! it was nice having a look at thos pics again 240!

240 Gardner:
and you can see the trailer that I still own - it’s an ex-RTITB ballasted trailer with pallets of (rock hard) scrap cement added to increase the fun. Some people think I’m mad, but I love it! Hate bouncing around in empty lorries!

And you’re right - just listening to the bark is terrific :smiley:

It certainly made my Atki growl a bit! Hard to believe that this photo was taken six and a half years ago!

has she got a good low revs rattle on her kv? i allwys loved the sound the ■■■■■■■ made pulling away loaded at low revs. somebody told me it was a diesel knock?

Mal:
has she got a good low revs rattle on her kv? i allwys loved the sound the ■■■■■■■ made pulling away loaded at low revs. somebody told me it was a diesel knock?

It certainly sounds a lot better when working hard but the fuel guage goes down a lot quicker than when it is running solo. :wink:

Only being a 205, it does have quite a different sound to the 220. It is actually quite frugal for an old ■■■■■■■ - I usually get about 11mpg pulling a 40’ box.

killsville:

Mal:

It certainly sounds a lot better when working hard but the fuel guage goes down a lot quicker than when it is running solo. :wink:

Only being a 205, it does have quite a different sound to the 220. It is actually quite frugal for an old ■■■■■■■ - I usually get about 11mpg pulling a 40’ box.

And Ethel (the Viewline) did the whole North of England Run with that trailer (when it had an extra 4 tons on) and managed 11.5 mpg!!

Leaving home in Lancashire for a run that started and finished in North Yorkshire, that meant 4 crossings of the Pennines, once over Shap and once across Kiln Pit and Tow Law Moor!

I once lent it to Ian Fowler at Seddon Atkinson (an old Atki man, once GM of Atkinson South Africa) to put behind SA’s Mk.1 (UDJ 900), so that he could do the Tyne Tees Run. Again, starting from Preston, that meant he had to get over a hill or two - he said it nearly finished him off, never mind his wagon :slight_smile: