AEC

Like many drivers I cut my teeth on an AEC in fact a MM6 MKV GAH 900 C which was in the fleet of J.Wyatt Jnr.(Haulage) Ltd. of Diss Norfolk . I would not advocate going back to one in this day and age but at the time they were a good motor and you can’t compare them with today’s lorries but, I still have fond memories of them (and some not so fond) does anyone else ?

LB76:
Like many drivers I cut my teeth on an AEC in fact a MM6 MKV GAH 900 C which was in the fleet of J.Wyatt Jnr.(Haulage) Ltd. of Diss Norfolk . I would not advocate going back to one in this day and age but at the time they were a good motor and you can’t compare them with today’s lorries but, I still have fond memories of them (and some not so fond) does anyone else ?0

I would think you would`ve enjoyed driving that if FF had bought 1

That pic needs putting up on the V8 thread!

Fond memories? Yes. 1961, brand spanking new AEC Marshall, 7.7 engine, double drive, Hendrickson suspension. I spent a lot of happy hours in that thing. Got pulled at the top of Alnwick Bank for black smoke when it was a week old. They couldn’t get it to smoke by just revving it. “on yer way” :stuck_out_tongue:

AEC%20Mammoth%20Major%20Mark%20III.jpg

AEC%20004.jpg
AEC%20003.jpg

Hiya…just look at that bonnet…i’am certain IF AEC had moved the air cleaners of the top of the rocker covers
like on the V8 you could have lowered the bonnet down 8 maybe 9 inches…I wonder if the bonnet was like that
for some type of air flow and cooling■■? or just so they did’nt have to bother moving the air cleaners…
Its ok the sweeds will never take our loyal customers…will they…they may… they have done
last one out of the factory please turn off the lights
John

I tried turning off the light John but a pole has nicked the switch

This one belongs to G Bailey of Bayfreight Stalybridge Cheshire.
Bayfreight AEC.jpg

Hiya … this will be at some shows this year there,s a few more jobs to be done plus some paint
but that may have to wait a couple of months

I started my driving back in the 1970s when i worked in the office of a petrol company in Scotland, the company paid for my hgv licence, the very day i was 21 i waited on the first driver to come in. I went out on an AEC mammoth major then the next day drove a mandator artic.I went through my test with SRS Falkirk, they had the local driving school a guy called chick, I passed my test on the friday , on the monday a driver did not turn up, I was sent out in a mammoth major with two drops in Glasgow, then reload for Perth, I loved driving the mandator & majors,so simple open engine hood , check oil water etc turn key press button and you were off,the only problem i had was trying to reach the air controlled wiper .i am only 5ft 3 ,we then went to leyland bison &bufallos there are photos of them on this site under tankers (GLOBE PETROLEUM).These were the good old days ,not a hard hat or high viz in sight,notice the driver top loading the mammoth major ,no harness and thats me on top of the gantry,

image.jpg

aec marshall of butlers maltby south yorkshire.

GWT 170C early mercury?fleet no 34.

3300John:
Hiya … this will be at some shows this year there,s a few more jobs to be done plus some paint
but that may have to wait a couple of months

Alright John, whats the history behind your AEC, i’m sure thats a leicester reg’ on it.

Hiya…she was new to partridge of cassington whitney and ordered as a tipper but was made into a wrecker
(i’ve been told today a chap has photo’s of her) untill 2000 when she bought by a chap nr Hook. he had her
for a few years and i got it through the AEC society somehow. the chap who owned her now lives in france.
I 've got the build sheet for her here at home.the order was made through Stirland brothers 22.5.64
and she was registered 5 .12 64.i think there’s a chap who works at a skip company in witney
who is the son of the first owner but i,ve not found him yet…I’ve just looked up FP reg and its Rutland.
John

3300John:
Hiya…just look at that bonnet…i’am certain IF AEC had moved the air cleaners of the top of the rocker covers
like on the V8 you could have lowered the bonnet down 8 maybe 9 inches…I wonder if the bonnet was like that
for some type of air flow and cooling■■? or just so they did’nt have to bother moving the air cleaners…
Its ok the sweeds will never take our loyal customers…will they…they may… they have done
last one out of the factory please turn off the lights
John

I never understood why they didn`t raise the cab so the bonnet would have been lower like the high datum ones they fitted to the V8s,they never modified them they were basically the same cab in 1977 as they were when they first came out, Leyland on the other hand modified theirs quite a bit wonder what the reasoning behind it was

Ramone wrote;
I never understood why they didn`t raise the cab so the bonnet would have been lower like the high datum ones they fitted to the V8s,they never modified them they were basically the same cab in 1977 as they were when they first came out, Leyland on the other hand modified theirs quite a bit wonder what the reasoning behind it was.

The bonnet in the Ergo cabs wasn’t really an issue at the time most of the bigger motors from other makers had big lumps in the middle to allow for the mainly Gardner or AEC, Leyland etc, straight six engines, even the introduction of the ■■■■■■■ didn’t alter this in makes such as ERF, GUY and Atkinson. The main problem with the Ergomatic bonnet was the slope, if it was flatter on top it might have been more useful, however the Ergo cab had other advantages such as the large screen and side windows and a fairly comfortable driving position and controls for the time, also the height was considered better for access and demounting safely and easily. I’m sure if AEC had carried on they would have produced a much better cab on later models rather than the rejigged thing that turned into the Marathon. Franky.