Tarmac AEC in Birmingham

I remember seeing one of Tarmac’s AEC’s running around the Birmingham area in the early 80’s, with the front of the wagon a mass of metal badges. Does anyone out there know what become of the driver as I can’t remember this trend carrying on. I seem to think the BBC did some kind of article on this truck at the time.

Vaguely remember it being in the studio on Blue Peter, probably 1978-80 time.

Cheers
Mark

Was it one of the Bayston Hill ( Shrewsbury ) owner drivers, always been a lot of smart owner operated trucks runnig out of there, still is, a lot of truck show enthusiasts.

Was the lorry in the khaki colours and was it an ergo cab ? Also was it a sixer or an eight legger ?

Would love to see a pic of it. :wink:

It was in khaki, an ergo cab and either a 4 or 6 wheeler, thats about all I can remember.

Cheers
Mark

Wow, that’s just served me to want a pic of it all the more ! :sunglasses:

Maybe someone at Donington this saturday might have an idea of a wherabouts of such a photo ? I certainly hope so ! :slight_smile:

Yes it was definitely a 4 wheeler, and it was brought onto the Blue Peter set one time with an Ergo’ cab. I said it was an A.E.C. but it could have easily been a Leyland or Albion, as the front was just a mass of chrome badges. I’d have loved to have known how long it was before the rust took hold of it. Those cabs rusted through quick anyway, I remember my uncle having one at Biesty’s with the cab step rusted away completely.