Adding PSV when you've already got HGV

I’ve got both, I had my HGV for over 15 yrs then got psv all I had to do was the hazard perception the theory and then practical. But I’m not of age yet that I require medical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are the sort of person who can get along with people and be helpful and courteous coaches might well be for you. Easy work some tips and free food. If you have to curse and swear every sentence and drive aggressively ,bett er in haulage.

If you like driving but don’t like the idea of working on your own all day and like being with people then yeah it’s probably a decent job.

But, is the pay really that bad? And if it is then why would anyone do it rather than work say in a supermarket? Or a bar? Or a hotel? Or in retail? Which ticks the same boxes, similar pay, working with people, but probably for fewer hours.

I went for an interview with Sheering in 2001,it was £2.50 an hour, that was before the minimum wage, so, it must have been a big pay rise when the minimum wage came in. So,I would have thought they would get good tips, with those European tours they did. But, now, if you get minumum wage, plus the tips, it might not be a bad job. A lot of drivers are older, mortgage paid and they love the job

Sploom:
I went for an interview with Sheering in 2001,it was £2.50 an hour, that was before the minimum wage, so, it must have been a big pay rise when the minimum wage came in. So,I would have thought they would get good tips, with those European tours they did. But, now, if you get minumum wage, plus the tips, it might not be a bad job. A lot of drivers are older, mortgage paid and they love the job

If it was in 2001, minimum wage had already been in place for two years (and it was £4.10 an hour in that year).

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sploom:

That sounds a lot like me there.

Roymondo:

Sploom:

If it was in 2001, minimum wage had already been in place for two years (and it was £4.10 an hour in that year).

You’re right, it must have been some time before that then

Sploom:

Roymondo:

Sploom:

You’re right, it must have been some time before that then

The older I get the more I find myself thinking stuff happened 10-15 years ago, only to discover that it was more like 30 years! ■■■■ this getting old lark.

Well I’m driving coaches and perfectly happy with the money I take each week (could be better but £180 gets taken out of my wages each week for the house I rent off of the boss, all bills included)…
You get to go places you wouldn’t think of going yourself and 9 times out of 10 get free entry/coffee/food.
It’s mainly schools we do at where I work with the odd decent job with a new coach (if I’ve been a good boy - made it our new 18 plate i6 coaches :laughing: :laughing: )…
What other job would you get paid for sitting on your arse for 5/6 hours sleeping etc :wink:

Get on the right job, tours where you can sell extras, and you’ll earn more than any one driving a truck has seen!. Tour work is great, loved my time on coaches and fully intend to drive them again at some point. Like any job it is what you make it, has its good and bad points.

Yeah I enjoyed coaches too, especially Euros.

However, and this may not sit well on here, I came back to HGV work primarily because the hours are MORE sociable than coaches :open_mouth:

As for getting paid to sit around… it’s not just coaches. I’ve been sat around on pay for a total of 12hrs in two days waiting for booking times!