Provisional PCV licence question?

Not strictly trucking but I think you can probably answer. Basically, about 2 years ago I thought about taking my category D test. I sent my licence off to the DVLA to get the provisional licence but they sent it back saying I needed a medical which I thought was odd as I already had a full and current LGV licence. Are they right?, I tried consulting the website but could not find an answer.

If you have sent a medical report to the DVLA within the last 12 months,
Or you hold a full European Community /European Economic Area (EC/EEA)
LGV or PCV licence and are under 45, you do not send one now.

Thats what I thought. Might re-apply although not sure how useful a PCV licence is, have heard the pay is worse than truck driving which I didn’t realise at the time I first applied. Enjoy driving so it might be nice to have on my licence.

I think the medical is slightly differnt for a PCV.

daxi:
I think the medical is slightly differnt for a PCV.

I don’t think so. I asked for provisional C and D in one go when I got mine. It’s the same form that the doctor fills in.

AIUI, your previous medical is only valid:

(a) if you had it within the past 12 months

or

(b) if you already have a full license in that “group” of categories - e.g. if you’ve already got full C, and you’re going for C+E.

It doesn’t cross from C to D (or vice-versa). I’m not sure about my entitlement; I’ve passed my full D1 (minibus), which I hope will mean that I don’t have to do a new medical if/when I go for D.

I was told, if you hold a HGV/LGV licence, you can take a D test in an Automatic bus but not be restricted to Autos, anyone know about this?

Also I belive if you hold a C+E licence, upon passing a D test, you also get D+E straight away, is this true?

Muz123:
Also I belive if you hold a C+E licence, upon passing a D test, you also get D+E straight away, is this true?

Definately is true!!

I’m not sure about the ‘automatic’ question though…

Muz123:

I’m told that it works the other way round (i.e. if you’ve got D and take your C+E you automatically get D+E); I don’t know whether you get it if you take your D after the C+E.

convoy:
Or you hold a full European Community /European Economic Area (EC/EEA)
LGV or PCV licence and are under 45, you do not send one now.

yes you do
i passed my psv in 95 and hgv in 01 and 02 and i am only 35 now
you can get away with out a medical only if you opted for a provisional psv(d) when you got your provisional hgv entitlement.
i did not opt for a hgv provisional so i had to take a medical at 31 years old
also i had to take my class 2 hgv first before my class 1 test could be taken.
both of the above i tryed unsucessfully to avoid.
jon

Muz123:
I was told, if you hold a HGV/LGV licence, you can take a D test in an Automatic bus but not be restricted to Autos, anyone know about this?

both correct

you get your manual psv because you have proven competence on the manual hgv.
i have friends with all types psv by taking
D1 MANUAL (MINIBUS/BREADVAN)
D SEMI AUTO/AUTO

i got my D+E when i passed my C+E

jon