Ackworth / Onward Transport

BIG AW:
Roy/Graham.
Another name came up the other day, Jerry Pig is he still alive ■■?

as far as I know he is,the last time I saw him he was at a shell garage filling his motorbike up,2 years ago,he lives in ferrybridge :confused: :confused:

hiya all ack/onward drivers,i bumped into mick barker today told him about truknet, hes going to have a look,i mentioned the new York seltzer wagon he used to drive,look out for him on here ,royhebb :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

To answer to previous messages. The Belgian hauler on the Continent for Ackworth Ltd. was Leopold Van Gaever, based in Antwerp (Berchem). The main fleet were AECs with local made Bollekens cabs. Also MAN, Scania Vabis, Berliet and even a Scammell were part of the fleet. The co was taken over by Dutch Bram Smits in the seventies.

Here you see some Van Gaever drivers in Rotterdam taken over Ackworth trailers.

Also Rotterdam AEC Mandators at rest.

Van Gaever-Ackworth artic in Milan.

aup bigaw, just been talking to a mate of mine,he owns a pallet yard and hes just bought an artic and trailer, he said have a go, so I did ,king of the road again, might do some odd jobs for him, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: look out

i remember 2 lads from ackworth used to come to south kirkby now and again to help out shunting and on the yard trucks,fez and lee green both were good lads but crackers,i saw lee in a cafe on the a38 about 20yrs ago working for simpsons bros but havent seen neither since,are they still knockin about :question: :question:

seth 70:
i remember 2 lads from ackworth used to come to south kirkby now and again to help out shunting and on the yard trucks,fez and lee green both were good lads but crackers,i saw lee in a cafe on the a38 about 20yrs ago working for simpsons bros but havent seen neither since,are they still knockin about :question: :question:

bigaw will be able to help you with that one, last time I saw fez he was driving a forklift for c&t travel :slight_smile:

aup andy remember these,sorry about on the side photos :blush: :blush: :blush:

Aye roy i remember those advertising brochures thats Ted Burchill in the driving seat they were taken in the workshop fresh from the paint shop.
you can see now its not on its side.
Des smith got 297 new then went in crystal shunting mi dad got 298 i think happy Barry Stivo got 299 and Barry Michell got 300 ,Kenty then took 297 and then Colin Burtie then low and behold i got it only to lose it to Gerry Clegg, i thought i was the dogs ■■■■■■■■ 320 14ltr ■■■■■■■ before the speed limiters , smithy and kenty braying it from new , flying machine bit more room than tramping in the old b series.

royhebb2:
0aup bigaw, just been talking to a mate of mine,he owns a pallet yard and hes just bought an artic and trailer, he said have a go, so I did ,king of the road again, might do some odd jobs for him, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: look out

You must love it Roy !!!

seth 70:

As far as i know mate Lee is still at Simpsons me and fez and Lee were at Simpsons at the same time i started in 96 when i jumped ship from ■■■■■■■ BOC Lee started a bit earlier Fez roughly same time as me i left in 98 fez left 18 months later he is now working for the lecky board on the grab wagons. Me and Fez were at south kirkby No 7 for a few years before i went back to ack i got stuck with gret head paul cornwell till his dad got me a move back to ack.

BIG AW:
Aye roy i remember those advertising brochures thats Ted Burchill in the driving seat they were taken in the workshop fresh from the paint shop.
Des smith got 297 new then went in crystal shunting mi dad got 298 i think happy Barry Stivo got 299 and Barry Michell got 300 ,Kenty then took 297 and then Colin Burtie then low and behold i got it only to lose it to Gerry Clegg, i thought i was the dogs ■■■■■■■■ 320 14ltr ■■■■■■■ before the speed limiters , smithy and kenty braying it from new , flying machine bit more room than tramping in the old b series.

Andy, I upset “Technical Ted” just after I got 324. He was looking around it in the yard at Birtley one day, (in his usual happy manner) :unamused: :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: when he noticed a large blister in the paint just to the left of the door handle on the drivers side. Poking at it, he looked at me and said, WTF’s this? My reply was equally as polite, :wink: :wink: Its an effin doorbell! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: It was back to Ackworth pretty quick to put it right!!! Regards Kev. Ps. The thread’s going along nicely.

kevmac47:

BIG AW:

Andy, I upset “Technical Ted” just after I got 324. He was looking around it in the yard at Birtley one day, (in his usual happy manner) :unamused: :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: when he noticed a large blister in the paint just to the left of the door handle on the drivers side. Poking at it, he looked at me and said, WTF’s this? My reply was equally as polite, :wink: :wink: Its an effin doorbell! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: It was back to Ackworth pretty quick to put it right!!! Regards Kev. Ps. The thread’s going along nicely.

Iam surprised it came out of the paint shop to be honest Kev they were very house proud Alf and his lads but fair play to get it sorted.
And yes Kev the thread is coming along a few more of the lads getting involved,

To be fair Andy, I’d had the motor a few weeks before the the blister appeared, it wasn’t there when I picked it up. Regards Kev. Ps. This retirement lark has taken over as the best job I’ve ever had. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

oooohhh paul and his dad maurice ,no comment :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

seth 70:
oooohhh paul and his dad maurice ,no comment :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

To be fair never had a problem with with Maurice he was always good to me and to fez he picked us from the lads that got finished at Spillers in 85 so i had a lot of respect for him but his son was something else in a few words a complete ■■■■ tryd to get me sack when his dad got the managers job at no8 ,but fair play he saw what was going on and moved me back to ack not long after he had his stroke.
I was sad to hear he had pass on last year i would have gone to the funeral.
Got a few things to discuss with big head when i bump into agian , you never know he might be on here■■?

Spotted these on a TV programme, thought they might be of interest.

Ray

These are stills from the film ‘Ferry Load’ available on YouTube. Ferry service Tilbury-Antwerp. These stills are at the Antwerp terminal.

BIG AW:

seth 70:

To be fair never had a problem with with Maurice he was always good to me and to fez he picked us from the lads that got finished at Spillers in 85 so i had a lot of respect for him but his son was something else in a few words a complete [zb] tryd to get me sack when his dad got the managers job at no8 ,but fair play he saw what was going on and moved me back to ack not long after he had his stroke.
Got a few things to discuss with big head when i bump into agian , you never know he might be on here■■?

was it paul cornwell ur on about

I was only there from 1986 to 1987 then got laid off with 8 others at ackworth,happy days being only 22 at the time,newyork seltzer pop, arronstead garden furniture,pop place at Featherstone,releif for barry on Workington trunk,graham Jarvis showing me the ropes,queueing up on a Saturday morning at purfleet paper mill so we went into double time after 4 hour n meeting up at brough on A66 whenever we could ,HAPPY DAYS

heych:

BIG AW:

seth 70:

To be fair never had a problem with with Maurice he was always good to me and to fez he picked us from the lads that got finished at Spillers in 85 so i had a lot of respect for him but his son was something else in a few words a complete [zb] tryd to get me sack when his dad got the managers job at no8 ,but fair play he saw what was going on and moved me back to ack not long after he had his stroke.

was it paul cornwell ur on about

Yes the one and only gret head !!!