Info req`d on ardagh glass doncaster

any members on here (agy drivers) worked out of this company?
I`ve been asked to go for an induction by the agency and would like to know as much as possible before hand

did 2 years on agency and 18 months as od. what do you want to know?

Norbert Dentressangle (Salvesen) or Malcolms. Good loaders, listen to them, they are all drivers or ex drivers. Full shute of glass bottles and jars up to the trailer roof, so great care needed on roundabouts and clipping kerbs.

A little research has shown it to be the old Rockware glass Co

yorkshireborn:

Having done glass regularly before, mainly beastons out of Rotherham, barnsley (carlton, tank row etc). but also loads from Knottingley, batley & a few other places So Im well aware of how its stacked, packed and strapped down. I even drove my 1st auto truck out of barnsley, & know you need to drive like a nun. My main enquiry is about the transport op at that site, (I`m told its nobbies) how well its run, the hours, are the drivers pressured etc, etc

i worked mainley out of barnsley. your not really pressured as they want the load to get there still stood. as for hours, nearly everyone did 12 hours or more. not worked there since about 08/08, as for organised? you used to be able to make the job fit you rather than you fitting the job. there is changes about to happen(probably for the better) as there number 2 has just put his notice in ‘due to personal reasons’. the saying jumped before he was pushed springs to mind. yes it was redfearns then ardagh now rockware and both malcolms and nobbies do distribution.

peirre:
A little research has shown it to be the old Rockware glass Co

yorkshireborn:

Having done glass regularly before, mainly beastons out of Rotherham, barnsley (carlton, tank row etc). but also loads from Knottingley, batley & a few other places So Im well aware of how its stacked, packed and strapped down. I even drove my 1st auto truck out of barnsley, & know you need to drive like a nun. My main enquiry is about the transport op at that site, (I`m told its nobbies) how well its run, the hours, are the drivers pressured etc, etc

IMO Donny a lot better organised than Carlton. The work at Donny seemed to be prepared a lot better. Even if it wasn’t loaded the info given to you was correct and even when the sh hit the fan it did seem as though a calm head was in control.

In contrast Carlton seemed chaotic, as though every decision was a reaction rather than planned - nobody in the office seemed as though they were up to speed with the workload.

The hours can be long but as you’re already up to speed(?) with the loading you’ll be a lot less hassled with the run. Regular 12hr+ shifts with decent units and a mix of really good and really bad trailers.

A lot of empty running from either site - getting the trailer back is much more important. Regular runs to outer London, Bury St Edmonds, Norwich, Banbury, Magor, Herefordshire, Preston etc and even more regular (3 per shift) to the breweries at Leeds and Tadcaster (which you would have to load).

Very little pressure from Donny, odd phone call if they needed the trailer - but Carlton seemed as though they had my number on speed dial. If the need ever arised I would go back to Donny with a smile but would think twice about Carlton.

Stan