A75

Amen.

…and they drive among us!

emmerson2:

correction…
…they drive past you. :smiley:

dieseldog999:
apart from the roundabouts and the 2 villages,then the entire 97 miles of the A 75 can be done in excess of 60mph quite safely and easily.
if im not held back or horrendousy overloaded then it can be done from the boat to the moss in 1 hour 45 or 50 mins though its not so easy during the day.
the speed limit is 40mph. and as you all know the limiters are meant to be set max 56mph.
they wont raise the limit or install average speed cameras as its a constant revenue earner 24/7
if the road was dangerous then you wouldnt see everyone running flat out anyway.
theres lots of wages set on trip dosh,and masses of subbies hence the generous limiter settings or just running on the must make boat button engaged.
all the trucks are bottlenecked and bunched because the boats tip the lot off in 1 go and are held up behind the cars and slow runners except from the few overtaking lanes hence the interesting overtakes.
lots of regular traffic is on the cb and will quite happily rely on the bush shaker for info without issues whatsoever though to be fair anyone usug the road thats a newbie must sit getting overtaken kakking themselves being overtaken on blind bends and such.
no matter how many accidents there will be on the A 75 then there will be masses more on the motorways due to brain dead boredom sat on cc at 55 and mind numbing trunk runs and such.
the easy way to explain it is that ireland both north and south is 50 years behind the uk in many ways which is great or terrible depending on your outlook.
the cameradrie that is long gone in the uk still thrives amongs the truckies here to a great extent and long may it last.

You can see how it works if every ones on the same channel and helping each other out, they reckon one day when we get autonomous that all vehicles will be communicating with each other. The programmers and developers will have to bring a few tangs in to show them how to set it all up. :laughing:

Is there any rules when you need to get back over on who drops back, no good if they both break at the same time, or some numpty hangs you out. ?

dieseldog999:
apart from the roundabouts and the 2 villages,then the entire 97 miles of the A 75 can be done in excess of 60mph quite safely and easily.
if im not held back or horrendousy overloaded then it can be done from the boat to the moss in 1 hour 45 or 50 mins though its not so easy during the day.
the speed limit is 40mph. and as you all know the limiters are meant to be set max 56mph.
they wont raise the limit or install average speed cameras as its a constant revenue earner 24/7
if the road was dangerous then you wouldnt see everyone running flat out anyway.
theres lots of wages set on trip dosh,and masses of subbies hence the generous limiter settings or just running on the must make boat button engaged.
all the trucks are bottlenecked and bunched because the boats tip the lot off in 1 go and are held up behind the cars and slow runners except from the few overtaking lanes hence the interesting overtakes.
lots of regular traffic is on the cb and will quite happily rely on the bush shaker for info without issues whatsoever though to be fair anyone usug the road thats a newbie must sit getting overtaken kakking themselves being overtaken on blind bends and such.
no matter how many accidents there will be on the A 75 then there will be masses more on the motorways due to brain dead boredom sat on cc at 55 and mind numbing trunk runs and such.
the easy way to explain it is that ireland both north and south is 50 years behind the uk in many ways which is great or terrible depending on your outlook.
the cameradrie that is long gone in the uk still thrives amongs the truckies here to a great extent and long may it last.

Haven`t been on the 75 in a long long time dd,but your words are spot on.
Keep on truckin

Bluey Circles:
Is there any rules when you need to get back over on who drops back, no good if they both break at the same time, or some numpty hangs you out. ?

Don’t hang anyone out - some night they might be in a position to return the favour .
If they are past your cab you let them in - if they are not its up to them to get in behind you .
Don’t be a c**t

dieseldog999:

emmerson2:

correction…
…they drive past you. :smiley:

■■■■■■■ brilliant :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

[/quote]
With the exception of filming this the driving behaviour was a regular event when I used that road in the early 70’s. It was not uncommon to see lorries in fields, up railway embankments and through gates. I recall one occasion when two lorries collided at Castle Douglas, nearside to nearside. They were both on the wrong side of the road prior to the collision.
[/quote]
Did the Castle Douglas incident involve two lorries belonging to Dukes of Portadown with both of them catching fire?

I got put in a field just passed the East end of the lake just before Crocketford by two Dukes vehicles coming towards me, neither stopped but lucky enough there was damage to one of them which proved I did not do it all on my own…

Does anyone remember in the early 80’s, the Borge (spelling) Road end & surrounding area on the A75, which was covered in white paint for months after someone forgot to slow down for it?

Dave…

possibly he has a flipflop cousin?

yellow crash 1.jpg

beefy4605:

Bluey Circles:

Don’t hang anyone out - some night they might be in a position to return the favour .
If they are past your cab you let them in - if they are not its up to them to get in behind you .
Don’t be a c**t

obviously, and couldn’t agree more.

BUT in the ‘relying on your mates’ to get you past where you shouldn’t be getting a past. How do you know the person you are passing is not a ‘C-U-Next-Tuesday’ (as you so eloquently put it) type. Lets face it there are a lot of prize one pillocks out there that would take great delight in hanging someone else out.

Bluey Circles:

beefy4605:

Bluey Circles:

Don’t be a c**t

obviously, and couldn’t agree more.

BUT in the ‘relying on your mates’ to get you past where you shouldn’t be getting a past. How do you know the person you are passing is not a ‘C-U-Next-Tuesday’ (as you so eloquently put it) type. Lets face it there are a lot of prize one pillocks out there that would take great delight in hanging someone else out.

Maybe in England but most people running regularly over the A75 know each other and know the risks so look after each other, chances are if someone does act the arse you will catch up with up them at some point. In my experience the ones that will hang you out are not Irish firms Prestons of Potto spring to mind for doing this.

dave docwra:

With the exception of filming this the driving behaviour was a regular event when I used that road in the early 70’s. It was not uncommon to see lorries in fields, up railway embankments and through gates. I recall one occasion when two lorries collided at Castle Douglas, nearside to nearside. They were both on the wrong side of the road prior to the collision.
[/quote]
Did the Castle Douglas incident involve two lorries belonging to Dukes of Portadown with both of them catching fire?

I got put in a field just passed the East end of the lake just before Crocketford by two Dukes vehicles coming towards me, neither stopped but lucky enough there was damage to one of them which proved I did not do it all on my own…

Does anyone remember in the early 80’s, the Borge (spelling) Road end & surrounding area on the A75, which was covered in white paint for months after someone forgot to slow down for it?
Dave…
[/quote]
I can’t recall the operators but one was carrying televisions and the other live chickens. Obviously the locals helped round them up but the area was covered in feathers for some weeks. I know that Porters of Derby were regulars on that road and one or two of their vehicles had field days.

Any one remember the fake traffic car on the M 6 , near Shap I think.
I believe it found its way into a 'fridge.

So glad I work for a firm that pays me well enough to drive round in a safe manner. There’s no excusing what’s happening on that road. It’s brainless.

Get yourself a decent job and stop taking ridiculous risks FFS.

I got put in a field just passed the East end of the lake just before Crocketford by two Dukes vehicles coming towards me

It was not uncommon to see lorries in fields, up railway embankments and through gates

I recall one occasion when two lorries collided at Castle Douglas, nearside to nearside. They were both on the wrong side of the road prior to the collision

What, so this mates helping mates on the CB, 10-4 mother trucker keep her lit business doesn’t work 100% of the time. Well that’s just shocking, who’d have thought it :confused:

No wonder the general public think we’re a bunch of morons :unamused:

Terry T:
What, so this mates helping mates on the CB, 10-4 mother trucker keep her lit business doesn’t work 100% of the time. Well that’s just shocking, who’d have thought it :confused:

No wonder the general public think we’re a bunch of morons :unamused:

My trip to the field was pre CB days & the A75 back then was possibly the most dangerous road in Scotland if not the whole of the UK.

Dave…

Well, it surprises me to see a few posts on here pointing in the direction of Dukes Transport, Portadown of being involved in certain types of ungentlemanly driving behaviour :open_mouth:

I did three tours for Dukes between 1980-1999 and probably drove 1000’s of A75 miles back and forth, East to West and West to East at every hour of the day and night and every day of the 8 day week and I can say hand on heart I never saw or participated in any of these disgusting acts of unmitigated madness :unamused:, I never came out of Stranraer with double stacked trailer chassis and forgot I wasn’t pulling a fridge or a box and nearly totalled it all at Dunragit, it was before they put the height sensors and illuminated boards up both side’s, if it hadn’t been for a quick CB warning from some kindly chap shouting down channel 19 that I managed to stop in time, but the reverse back to the diversion turn took a little bit longer and I did receive a lot of friendly banter from all the other Eastbound/Westbound chaps who were patiently waiting for me to sort myself out :sunglasses:.

As far as I can remember on my later tours in the late 80’s/early 90’s when cab phone’s became the thing to have, Dukes never had to install or use a ‘I need to catch the boat’ switch or button, we just had a direct phone line to the shipping line, Sealink, Stena, P&O Pandoro and if you just gave them a quick ring they would always hold the boat back for hours just for us :unamused: In fact one incident comes to mind with Stena/Sealink out of Stranraer, it was the inaugral freight/passenger sailing of the HSS ferry, can’t remember whether it was midnight or 0100, anyways I had been down to Rungis and tipped early hours of Monday told to bring empty fridge into Huddersfield depot and pick up a groupage trunk trailer for Stranraer. At Hudd’s I was told it was for tonight’s boat and it had to be there because it was to be filmed whilst diving up the ramp onto the HSS ferry, National News media, Scottish News media, Mayor of Stranraer and other assorted dignatories all are going to be waithing on me being there on time :exclamation: Well I knew it was going to be tight and as I approached Dunragit Bridge I rang Sealink/Stena and informed them I would be 11 and a half minutes late for the sailing and you know what, they held the boat back for me to arrive and I checked all my paperwork in and drove straight up the ramp onto the boat with fireworks going off, laser lights shooting everywhere and the media’s camera’s rolling, I felt like royalty, later on during the short hop the Captain invited me onto the bridge and let me takeover the helm whilst he had a quick bit of shut eye :open_mouth:

You might have have met me in an RDC driver’s waiting room somewhere around the Country but I’m usually a bit more modest when I’m being held against my will :unamused: :wink:

Cheerio for now
Regards
Dave Penn;

davepenn54:
Well, it surprises me to see a few posts on here pointing in the direction of Dukes Transport, Portadown of being involved in certain types of ungentlemanly driving behaviour :open_mouth:

I did three tours for Dukes between 1980-1999 and probably drove 1000’s of A75 miles back and forth, East to West and West to East at every hour of the day and night and every day of the 8 day week and I can say hand on heart I never saw or participated in any of these disgusting acts of unmitigated madness :unamused:, I never came out of Stranraer with double stacked trailer chassis and forgot I wasn’t pulling a fridge or a box and nearly totalled it all at Dunragit, it was before they put the height sensors and illuminated boards up both side’s, if it hadn’t been for a quick CB warning from some kindly chap shouting down channel 19 that I managed to stop in time, but the reverse back to the diversion turn took a little bit longer and I did receive a lot of friendly banter from all the other Eastbound/Westbound chaps who were patiently waiting for me to sort myself out :sunglasses:.

As far as I can remember on my later tours in the late 80’s/early 90’s when cab phone’s became the thing to have, Dukes never had to install or use a ‘I need to catch the boat’ switch or button, we just had a direct phone line to the shipping line, Sealink, Stena, P&O Pandoro and if you just gave them a quick ring they would always hold the boat back for hours just for us :unamused: In fact one incident comes to mind with Stena/Sealink out of Stranraer, it was the inaugral freight/passenger sailing of the HSS ferry, can’t remember whether it was midnight or 0100, anyways I had been down to Rungis and tipped early hours of Monday told to bring empty fridge into Huddersfield depot and pick up a groupage trunk trailer for Stranraer. At Hudd’s I was told it was for tonight’s boat and it had to be there because it was to be filmed whilst diving up the ramp onto the HSS ferry, National News media, Scottish News media, Mayor of Stranraer and other assorted dignatories all are going to be waithing on me being there on time :exclamation: Well I knew it was going to be tight and as I approached Dunragit Bridge I rang Sealink/Stena and informed them I would be 11 and a half minutes late for the sailing and you know what, they held the boat back for me to arrive and I checked all my paperwork in and drove straight up the ramp onto the boat with fireworks going off, laser lights shooting everywhere and the media’s camera’s rolling, I felt like royalty, later on during the short hop the Captain invited me onto the bridge and let me takeover the helm whilst he had a quick bit of shut eye :open_mouth:

You might have have met me in an RDC driver’s waiting room somewhere around the Country but I’m usually a bit more modest when I’m being held against my will :unamused: :wink:

Cheerio for now
Regards
Dave Penn;

I’ll beleive you if you tell me where the entrance to the bridge is on the HSS .
Been on the bridge of all the P+O boats , Stena seem to be a little more security concious.

I’d be careful on the 75 for the next few nights. The antics on the video have been picked up by the local press and our MSP’ s are jumping on the bandwagon demanding action from the polis. I’m not too fussed about what happened on the vid, we all know what a PITA following slow movers is on that road but ffs, why did it have to be posted on faceache!

davepenn54:

I have to apologise for my remarks regarding Dukes Transport, to be fair they were always very courteous & fully law abiding at all times, the ones I felt you had to watch out for were Murphy International with their Transcons passing & out pulling near enough anything on the road.

Must have been awful for anyone having to reverse up the hill whilst negotiating the bend & slow moving traffic, when one just remembers in time that a 20 high stack of GKN pallets do not go under the bridge at Dunragitt the same as 20 whites ones would.

Mr DP54 were you running out of the Stranraer depot?

Regards Dave…

davepenn54:
later on during the short hop the Captain invited me onto the bridge and let me takeover the helm whilst he had a quick bit of shut eye :open_mouth:

Can I correct you on the above little bit … the Captain or ole man is only on the bridge for arrivals and departures and once clear the ship is on auto pilot so nobody is needed on the bridge, they will all be found in the drivers lounge listening to the wonderful exploits of the 75 and on the ■■■■ … :grimacing: