A75 Speed limit!

V8-Chris:
how do you keep everyone happy,

You can’t, you can never win them all, accept it and just enjoy yourself, don’t let them get to you. I actually keep a few copies of the Highway Code in my bag and happily hand them out to some muppet in an Audi who is having a go at me.

IF you are speeding because your boss is not scheduling you properly then you are only making his problem your problem and he is never going to change, just don’t take on that responsibility, keep it his.

well thats it, you hit the nail on the head, if they want to risk there lives then its up to them, its then there fault and not mine, and my licence is safe.

V8-Chris:
Off couse, i agree, i would never sit flat out in a 40, but its just knowing whats best to do, ive had cars pass be in dangerous spots because they were losing there head with me sitting just over 40, how do you keep everyone happy,

:unamused: You are under no obligation to keep impatient knob heads in cars “happy”
You are however obliged to obey the law, which is more important?

robroy:

V8-Chris:
Off couse, i agree, i would never sit flat out in a 40, but its just knowing whats best to do, ive had cars pass be in dangerous spots because they were losing there head with me sitting just over 40, how do you keep everyone happy,

:unamused: You are under no obligation to keep impatient knob heads in cars “happy”
You are however obliged to obey the law, which is more important?

I agree with robroy that if you drive to keep everyone else happy then you are going to get very stressed because its impossible to do that

AS LONG AS SAFETY IS NOT COMPROMISED then a driver who knows the law but chooses to break it accepts responsibility for whatever they get then its up to them as far as I am concerned

If your paying attention to the road then you should always see the camera vans in enough time to break down to the limit.

pavaroti:
If your paying attention to the road then you should always see the camera vans in enough time to break down to the limit.

It has nothing to do with the cameras, dread the day you are doing 48 and some numpty veers into your lane and you take him out, you will be held partly or even fully responsible and they will throw the book at you, don’t expect another job for a few years.

Some here miss the point, the law is the law, 40 is 40 cameras or not, irrespective of an empty road, even if you run over a dog, you will be held liable.

Is all that really worth it to save your boss 10 minutes?

wheelnutt:

pavaroti:

It has nothing to do with the cameras, dread the day you are doing 48 and some numpty veers into your lane and you take him out, you will be held partly or even fully responsible and they will throw the book at you, don’t expect another job for a few years.

Some here miss the point, the law is the law, 40 is 40 cameras or not, irrespective of an empty road, even if you run over a dog, you will be held liable.

Is all that really worth it to save your boss 10 minutes?

Mate, Believe me, you are wasting your time. Some always know better,and think they are above the law, but eventually learn that they are in fact NOT,…the hard way. :unamused:

wheelnutt:

V8-Chris:
you will always get the 10% plus 2 rule, so anything below 46 and you’d be fine.

There is no such “rule” / “provision”, that is just a fairy tale started by some hard up haulier somewhere sometime to get his drivers to break the law.

The question here is simple, the law says 40, are you willing to give up your career for your boss? You are not gaining anything but have everything to lose.

IT is not ours to wonder why, it is ours to do or die.

We can complain all day long about the validity of the speed limits but as long as they are there it is up to us to stay within them.

Actually, there IS such a provision, although it’s technically a ‘guideline’. From the Association of Chief Police Officers -

acpo.police.uk/documents/uni … -roads.pdf

Check out Section 9.6

Cheers

That is not law, that is just a guideline and on places like the A75, that will be quickly thrown out. The law is clear, no room for fudging the speed limits.

Plenty of HGV drivers have been done for exceeding the equipment tolerances by 1MPH.

Some here seem to think that there are automatic tolerances to exceed published maximum speed limits, there are none.

wheelnutt:
That is not law, that is just a guideline and on place like the A75, that will be quickly thrown out. The law is clear, no room for fudging the speed limits.

“No room for fudging speed limits.” :unamused: There is when your on trip money or paid by the mile. :laughing:

Oh yeah, definitely not law!

Just clarifying that it’s not ‘just a fairy tale started by some hard up haulier somewhere sometime to get his drivers to break the law.’

:wink:

Javiatrix:

wheelnutt:

V8-Chris:
you will always get the 10% plus 2 rule, so anything below 46 and you’d be fine.

There is no such “rule” / “provision”, that is just a fairy tale started by some hard up haulier somewhere sometime to get his drivers to break the law.

The question here is simple, the law says 40, are you willing to give up your career for your boss? You are not gaining anything but have everything to lose.

IT is not ours to wonder why, it is ours to do or die.

We can complain all day long about the validity of the speed limits but as long as they are there it is up to us to stay within them.

Actually, there IS such a provision, although it’s technically a ‘guideline’. From the Association of Chief Police Officers -

acpo.police.uk/documents/uni … -roads.pdf

Check out Section 9.6

Cheers

Check out 9.2. Basically says the police can prosecute for any speed above the tolerance of their equipment if they so wish which is ±2mph up to 66mph and ±3% above that.

ive been done for 44 coming down the big hill into dumfries,and ive been done for 64 between twyneholm and cd,the only difference is the size of the fine,as youl get pulled anyway,if you sit at exactly 40 with perfect cards then you will then be pulled for driving abnormally,with the added bonus of all the boat traffic running normal will be overtaking you on the cb and trying to take your mirrors off as they pass you. heres the thought that just struck me,your from coleraine driving a scania…surely your clued up already,whoever your working for would need to know the story,as would everyody on the boat youd be sitting with …or did u just lob in the post to watch the replies?..good topic though as your in a no win situation no matter what you do… :smiley:

wheelnutt:

V8-Chris:
how do you keep everyone happy,

You can’t, you can never win them all, accept it and just enjoy yourself, don’t let them get to you. I actually keep a few copies of the Highway Code in my bag and happily hand them out to some muppet in an Audi who is having a go at me.

IF you are speeding because your boss is not scheduling you properly then you are only making his problem your problem and he is never going to change, just don’t take on that responsibility, keep it his.

I joined up to a slow moving queue on the A69 yesterday in the car. It was a truck sat bang on 40. What he / she did was move over to the nearside and indicate each time there was a decent overtaking opportunity to help vehicles behind. It went from a trailing queue of 20 odd vehicles to zero in roughly 2 or 3 miles just with this driver showing some basic professional common sense, so yes you can help to please other drivers. Its not hard to do but too many truck drivers have a attitude, ‘‘i’m doing the law ■■■■ everyone else’’.

Not good being safe keeping to the speed limit if you’re causing other drivers to act dangerously.

As for the A75, i would guess most Irish trucks are speeding not to please their boss but more down to their own personal choice.

ive seen two dukes lorries over on a bend on that dodgy road be careful if speeding there

bnira:
ive seen two dukes lorries over on a bend on that dodgy road be careful if speeding there

aye in the nineties I saw a dukes one which, obviously the driver being a homesick paddy, :sunglasses: wanted to plough the fields :laughing: for his dinner :smiley: spuds of course! THE CHOICE IS YOURS :laughing: speed if you want to, but don’t come crying when you lose YOUR LICENCE ( not your bosses! :smiling_imp: ) or you kill someone as you can’t do 40 mph for 100 miles! Phew I’m glad I hold you all up, :wink: you law breakers! D & G POLICE = WAYNE KERRS! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Police entrapment FFS !!! :unamused: :unamused: :open_mouth: Its them again , they’re out to get us !!! .

It is the road they have responsibility to police , a road which has statistics of numerous accidents & fatalities . They know where to hide , & they know the ferry times :unamused: , I imagine this should be self explanatory ,again their patch & a road to a port with the ability to transit all manner of goods through it .

Maybe it is a case of reputation proceeding you & also it is hardly as if the cavalry charges up & down this road go unnoticed , you would need to be deaf & blind to miss them :open_mouth: . It may be easy pickings for the police on the road , but then those being caught do very little to take the glare off themselves .

But don’t worry about cutting 15 min off , apparently the ferry captains have now got AM cbs , and know where the coastguard hides , they reckon they can knock 20 min off the crossing time just by opening it up a bit more :exclamation: , to hell with the consequences .

But then maybe just maybe it is that they have a responsibility to transfer you "ower the watter " in a safe manner .

It appears that the only responsibility on those travelling to or from the boats is to traverse the A 75 in a short a time as possible , then fail to understand why their actions are so closely watched .

dieseldog999:
or…let a few bush shakers get out of cairn 1st…then sit in the rocking chair all the way to gretna. dont be 1st,dont be last…and dont be in the front group if you can only manage 90kms flat out,or youl be left standing,and within a few mins,your on the front door of the next bunch( where you dont want to be)… your driving on the most truckie unfriendly 97 miles of euroroute in europe. if they dont stop you for speeding,you will get a dig for doing 44 as itl be assumed youve something to hide.the cars are out 24/7 for entrapment purposes only unless there attending a smash somewhere ,other than that,your ■■■■■■■■. they know the ferry times,they know where to sit invisible,their entrapment is why most of n.i hates english work. some will do it,but refuse point blank to ship from cairnryan,and its birkenhead/holyhead or new job.the 100% must have is an a.m cb as all the irish use that.no point in a fm one as nobody will be on it.if your heading for the boat,sit nicely and let the donegal mafia (or equivelant) overtake you,then tailgate them.other than that its 100 miles of chronic boredom as if your not lit,then theres no need to look for plod,.they have had average speed cameras sitting in the council yard for years,but they would lose too much money by installing them,so they stick to entrapment. you have d&g stranraer,wigton,and lockerbie on the road ,they do not take prisoners as therespressure on them from above to milk in the revenue.drive like your a tanker in an atlantic convoy during the war,and the big car is the submarine. just your pot luck,but use your loaf,and its safe enough ,but still your running the gauntlet every time,then theres the added bonus of castle kennedy at 1 end,and carlisle at the other.to me ,thats the reality of it,or am i mistaken?? :confused:

One of THE best posts I’ve ever read.

V8-Chris:
what really can you get away with??

Personally I value my license enough to stick to the limit. 40 by gps, about 67k on truck.

But everyone to their own and if I’ve another wagon eager behind i’ll pull over to let him pass or something…

Just come across from Dalbeattie sawmill back across to Gretna at 75 kms and not had any bother.
When I’ve got Rowan Glen at Newton Stewart I’ve always sat around 75 kms and not really had any bother with plod or anyone else,I just try to be sensible like looking out for plod or slowing down a little to let the Irish past on their way to the ferry.
I know I’m speeding but I do like to keep moving,maybe I’ve been very lucky but I’ll still keep doing the same speed till then.
What really annoys me is these ■■■■■■■■ of truck drivers who sit at 40mph on the single track then sit on the limiter on the bits of dual carriageway!!! GGGGGGGRRRRRRR!!!
Love the scenery by Wigtown bay though!