A41 Bicester again B&Q truck under Bridge

adam277:

Grumpy_old_trucker:
Massive fine heading B&Q’s way as well as a big fine and hopefully a revocation of the drivers vocational licence.

I disagree.
Could well just be a new driver thrown in at the deep end.
Think it would be most unfair just to take a newbies licence away for one mistake.

One mistake that has potentially cost their employer tens of thousands of pounds, even more if the line was closed temporarily not to mention if they had damaged it (Luckily for them curtain siders are pretty flimsy)

What training do you think they need? You get in a truck it’s your job to know the height of it, it’s the law to have a height marker in the cab.

What about reading signs? That’s ■■■■■■■ basic, you can’t pass your test without being able to read them. That bridge is signed on the A34 and all the way down the A41, if he came off the M40 the signs are 20ft high before Jct 9. If he came from Buckingham he would have passed at least 6 signs warning of a low bridge not to mention a flashing over height matrix sign (If it works) And then the massive LOW BRIDGE sign on the bridge he hit.

If he was told that was the route then some blame can lie with his employer but passing that many warning signs and still hitting it is unforgivable. That’s not even the quickest way FFS

Edit, the over height matrix sign has been working fine

facebook.com/groups/597327533697836

nickyboy:

adam277:

Grumpy_old_trucker:
Massive fine heading B&Q’s way as well as a big fine and hopefully a revocation of the drivers vocational licence.

I disagree.
Think it would be most unfair just to take a newbies licence away for one mistake.

One mistake that has potentially cost their employer tens of thousands of pounds, even more if the line was closed temporarily not to mention if they had damaged it (Luckily for them curtain siders are pretty flimsy)

What training do you think they need? You get in a truck it’s your job to know the height of it, it’s the law to have a height marker in the cab.

What about reading signs? That’s [zb] basic, you can’t pass your test without being able to read them. That bridge is signed on the A34 and all the way down the A41, if he came off the M40 the signs are 20ft high before Jct 9. If he came from Buckingham he would have passed at least 6 signs warning of a low bridge not to mention a flashing over height matrix sign (If it works) And then the massive LOW BRIDGE sign on the bridge he hit.

If he was told that was the route then some blame can lie with his employer but passing that many warning signs and still hitting it is unforgivable. That’s not even the quickest way FFS

I’m just speculating possible reasons. Maybe he panicked and took a wrong turn. He’s a human I presume.

Either way the poor sod is probably being paid like £13 an hour. For that it’s really not worth the hassle he is now in.
Probably gonna be fined massively and lose his licence. Either way proves that drivers don’t get paid enough for the risks they take driving.

When I first went out on a-frame trailers I had no idea how to reverse them. I could of easily got stuck and mocked on here
I do forget that no one here has never had a single accident.

Well as someone who has had an accident let me tell you. Sometimes people get nervous and do make stupid mistakes. My advice to the driver would be just get a warehouse job and save yourself the grief of driving a truck.

adam277:

nickyboy:

adam277:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

I disagree.

What about reading signs? That’s [zb] basic, you can’t pass your test without being able to read them. That bridge is signed on the A34 and all the way down the A41, if he came off the M40 the signs are 20ft high before Jct 9. If he came from Buckingham he would have passed at least 6 signs warning of a low bridge not to mention a flashing over height matrix sign (If it works) And then the massive LOW BRIDGE sign on the bridge he hit.

I’m just speculating possible reasons. Maybe he panicked and took a wrong turn. He’s a human I presume.

Either way the poor sod is probably being paid like £13 an hour. For that it’s really not worth the hassle he is now in.
Probably gonna be fined massively and lose his licence. Either way proves that drivers don’t get paid enough for the risks they take driving.

When I first went out on a-frame trailers I had no idea how to reverse them. I could of easily got stuck and mocked on here
I do forget that no one here has never had a single accident.

Well as someone who has had an accident let me tell you. Sometimes people get nervous and do make stupid mistakes. My advice to the driver would be just get a warehouse job and save yourself the grief of driving a truck.

Don’t know why you’re trying to justify this, no excuse full stop if he failed to see all the warning what else does he fail to see? In the scheme of things at least his “blindness” only caused him to hit a bridge rather than a car or pedestrian

Useless forker.

blue estate:

peirre:
Looking at the graphics it’s a newish trailer too, though without seeing the trailer number it’s difficult to tell how old it is, but for example if it’s DD5201> it’s around 1 year old and if it’s DD7000> it’s brand new

Oops DD7125
Some posted news vid on FB and I could make out the number above

Sent from my truck

DD7125 is a brand new trailer, less than a couple of weeks old.

adam277:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

adam277:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

I disagree.

Fear of a permanent ban from this forum forbids me from stating how pathetic your post is!

Say what is on your mind.

I am only speculating on who the driver is and his level of experience.
I think when possible, people should be given a 2nd chance.

For example. If this guy was a completely fresh pass and B&Q just gave him a DD trailer with no actual training then I’d say most of the fault lies with B&Q.
I dont think he should lose his licence over it.

The fact that not one person commenting on this thread agrees with your strangely idiotic view should make you think before you offer advice again.
I note on the digicard thread you have also offered even stranger advice, either you just post for the sake of posting or should seek some education by enrolling in a DCPC course specifically in tachograph law.

I disagree.

Say what is on your mind.

I am only speculating on who the driver is and his level of experience.
I think when possible, people should be given a 2nd chance.

For example. If this guy was a completely fresh pass and B&Q just gave him a DD trailer with no actual training then I’d say most of the fault lies with B&Q.
I dont think he should lose his licence over it.
[/quote]
The fact that not one person commenting on this thread agrees with your strangely idiotic view should make you think before you offer advice again.
I note on the digicard thread you have also offered even stranger advice, either you just post for the sake of posting or should seek some education by enrolling in a DCPC course specifically in tachograph law.
[/quote]

[/quote]
I think he’s the new rowleydicmynickjakethesnake or maybe one of the same as the others haven’t posted for a while

Of all the weeks I choose to take my remaining holidays, this is one week I wish I was in the office to find out some factual information about this incident

Grumpy_old_trucker:

My view is depending on circumstances he shouldn’t lose his license.
I stand by that no matter what other people think.
I have not offered any advice I’ve only ever given my opinion.
Something you never do all you do is insult/mock people which makes it impossible to debate you.

Robthedog what are you on about?

adam277:

You appear to have a very short memory:

My advice to the driver would be just get a warehouse job and save yourself the grief of driving a truck

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

adam277:
Something you never do all you do is insult/mock people which makes it impossible to debate you.

You appear to be making it up as you go along.
The 1st post I made on this thread, the one that you were so eager to attempt to correct me on was neither insulting or mocking anyone, it was in fact my opinion of what will/should happen to the company and driver involved.
It was you who attempted to mock my opinion!

Grumpy_old_trucker:

adam277:

You appear to be making it up as you go along.
The 1st post I made on this thread, the one that you were so eager to attempt to correct me on was neither insulting or mocking anyone, it was in fact my opinion of what will/should happen to the company and driver involved.
It was you who attempted to mock my opinion!

When did I mock your opinion?
All I said of your first post was I disagree with it. You responded saying you were too scared to say what you thought of my post and called it pathetic.

I’m not making anything up as I go along. Anyone who reads your previous posts know you have a track record for calling people names and/or mocking them.
Your entitled to that ofcourse. But it makes it hard to have a discussion with you.

Having just looked at that bridge on google maps, since when has 4.5m converted to 15 feet, I always thought it was 14.9 feet. We pull 4.5m trailers does mean we wouldn’t get under it !!!

[attachment

Ha ha , takes his lisense off him , what a stupid thing to say , there’s a bridge hit what seems like every day in Grantham , pics in journal every week , thered be no drivers left if you took the lisense off every driver who hit a bridge

toonsy:
Maybe advertising does work? Perhaps he bought into the slogan on the side of the curtain? :laughing:

The signs advertising bridge heights aren’t working!!

mr bluecity:
Having just looked at that bridge on google maps, since when has 4.5m converted to 15 feet, I always thought it was 14.9 feet. We pull 4.5m trailers does mean we wouldn’t get under it !!!

The same question crops up often on this site. The reason for the disparity between Imperial and Metric markings is because of the way they figure on the sign is calculated.

For Imperial measurements, they take the measured height, subtract 3 inches for clearance, then round down to the next whole multiple of 3 inches. A bridge marked at 15 feet could have been measured at anything from 15’ 3" to 15’ 6".

For the metric figure, they measure it in metres to two decimal places, then round it to one decimal according to the value of the second decimal. If that second decimal is 8 or 9, simply delete it, if it’s 7 or less, delete it and reduce the first decimal by 1. Thus a bridge marked at 4.5 metres could have been measured at anything from 4.58 to 4.67 metres.

A bridge measured at 15’ 3" (4.65m) or 15’ 4" (4.67m) would be marked as 15’ 0" and 4.5m according to those rules - presumably that’s the actual measured height of the one at Bicester.

It’s made it onto the Jeremy vine show there discussing it and other incidents now
Apparently some.guy teh saying bridge meauaed in m and inches and the conversion into inches doesn’t match upto the height in metres

mr bluecity:

That B&Q trailer is 4.93m or 16ft 2” (and the driver found out) that it’s not possible to squeeze the extra 14” under that bridge.
There are a few ferry trailers that B&Q have in B&Q orange livery for the ROI & IOM are iirc 15ft 3”