A serious oops for stobarts

yourhavingalarf:
It’s standard to arrest…

The driver after serious crashes like this.

No, it is not. Any arrest must be shown to be both necessary and proportionate - regardless of the amount of damage/injury/death that has occurred. There must in the first place be grounds to show that (a) an offence has been committed and (b) the driver concerned has committed it.

I’m no fan of this widening of the motorways on the cheap. It seems these 2 lives have been lost because of it and probably others. “Smart motorway” is a load of ■■■■■■■■. They can’t even get the matrix signs right most of the time making them completely pointless because we ignore them. The amount of times I’ve been going down the M1 early in the morning being told the first 3 lanes are closed so we all bunch up on the 4th lane only to find absolutely nothing there!!! In fact, the most accurate thing they seem to relay to us is FOG. Well no ■■■■ Sherlock, never noticed until you told me.
What a ■■■■■■■ total waste of time and money these things are [emoji35]

nomiS36:
I’m no fan of this widening of the motorways on the cheap. It seems these 2 lives have been lost because of it and probably others. “Smart motorway” is a load of ■■■■■■■■. They can’t even get the matrix signs right most of the time making them completely pointless because we ignore them. The amount of times I’ve been going down the M1 early in the morning being told the first 3 lanes are closed so we all bunch up on the 4th lane only to find absolutely nothing there!!! In fact, the most accurate thing they seem to relay to us is FOG. Well no [zb] Sherlock, never noticed until you told me.
What a [zb] total waste of time and money these things are [emoji35]

And they seem to have you down to 40mph about 10 miles before the bloke with a strimmer on the central reservation with all but 1 lane coned off.

And sometimes they’ll say 50,50,50, the next gantry will say 20,40,40 the next 60,60,60, the next 50,50,50… and there’s no apparent reason either!

nomiS36:
I’m no fan of this widening of the motorways on the cheap. It seems these 2 lives have been lost because of it and probably others. “Smart motorway” is a load of ■■■■■■■■. They can’t even get the matrix signs right most of the time making them completely pointless because we ignore them. The amount of times I’ve been going down the M1 early in the morning being told the first 3 lanes are closed so we all bunch up on the 4th lane only to find absolutely nothing there!!! In fact, the most accurate thing they seem to relay to us is FOG. Well no [zb] Sherlock, never noticed until you told me.

I agree totally. Lives must be cheaper than widening motorways, how many times do you hear on traffic reports the top side of the M25 has delays because of a RTA!

I hate the ones leading up to an exit starting from about a mile and a half away, bringing the limit down to 40 with the sign “QUEUE AHEAD” and when you get to the exit, everything has slowed down causing a jam,

and all because there are a few cars waiting actually ON the off slip :unamused: :unamused:

then at the junction you get the national limit sign and there’s F all in front of you :imp: :imp:

elsa Lad:

nomiS36:

I agree totally. Lives must be cheaper than widening motorways, how many times do you hear on traffic reports the top side of the M25 has delays because of a RTA!

And before widening and smart M/ways, how many times did you hear traffic reports

the top side of the M25 has delays because of a RTA!

:unamused:

I caused lane closures a bit further along ( j24 ) last march when I had a cardiac problem .
I was in a safe haven but the paramedic car and ambulance were in the live lane until the wombles , police and water fairies turned up and then closed two lanes .
It was very scary wondering what was going to get me first , my heart or a stray 44t missile .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

nomiS36:

2 lives have been lost due to alleged dangerous driving not the structure of the road!

We’re going to hear of many deaths in the coming years as more unlit (un)smart motorways are opened up.

I agree they are fine when everything is flowing right, but once a vehicle breaks down suddenly, and especially if there is complete electrical failure, so invisible apart from almost pointless reflectors, then a serious accident is on the cards.

It doesn’t matter to the decision makers because the typical victims won’t be people deemed ‘important’ by the state, and we all know unless someone important enough gets hurt nothing will change.

As said above, and i’ve come across 4 instances now of vehicles stopped in live lanes for some reason fortunately each time has been in daylight, even at 50mph it’s shocking just how little time there is to react smoothly.

It’s been said before, but I’ll just reiterate it . Dual carriageway A roads, no hard shoulder , unlit , 56 mph , why isn’t there carnage on these?
I’m sure cars break down in the live lanes on these too and there’s nowhere to escape from what’s coming from behind. Is it because we are more alert on these and on motorways we go into some soert of zombie mode ?

nomiS36:

A few months ago I was coming back down the M6 near Stafford at night and I saw a car broken down on lane 1 (no hard shoulder) and had to make a sharp lane change. There had been no warnings from the overhead gantries. I called the cops and told them about the broken-down car.

IMHO, all “smart motorways” should have hard shoulders switchable to running lane, rather than 4 with no hard shoulder, and when the hard shoulder is running, the speed limit should be 50mph. That way, we will have no more of these incidents where a driver saw a stopped vehicle in lane 1 too late.

(I also avoid using the hard shoulder when it’s running, BTW, after a near miss on the M1 a few years ago.)

By their very nature, smart motorways carry exceptionally high volumes of traffic, (that’s why the authorities create them). Although some dual carriageways carry high volumes of traffic, most carry nowhere near the traffic that the smart motorways carry. Regarding accidents between the two it’s a numbers game. The more traffic that uses a stretch of road, the more chance of an accident.

mattecube:

nomiS36:

2 lives have been lost due to alleged dangerous driving not the structure of the road!

So you’re saying it’s no more dangerous to break down on a motorway without a hard shoulder than it is with? [emoji57]

I am saying the investigating officers have arrested a driver for alleged dangerous driving they have not gone to press blaming the road.
Are motorways without hard shoulders any more dangerous than those with … no it’s the users that are.

Even when a motorway is not a smart motorway, people are now treating it as if it is. I’m starting to see a lot of people undertaking on the hard shoulder.

pierrot 14:
It’s been said before, but I’ll just reiterate it . Dual carriageway A roads, no hard shoulder , unlit , 56 mph , why isn’t there carnage on these?
I’m sure cars break down in the live lanes on these too and there’s nowhere to escape from what’s coming from behind. Is it because we are more alert on these and on motorways we go into some soert of zombie mode ?

Dual carriageway A roads usually have some distance between the rib line and the verge and the barrier seems to be set further back on the verge allowing more chance of getting off the road than a motorway, these cheap widened roads have the rib line virtually on the grass and the barrier next to it allowing no room to even attempt to get off the carriageway.
Be interesting to know if the authorities knew of the stranded vehicle and if any gantries had been set to warn of the obstruction, if none set would be interesting to know how long the car had been there for some hot shot lawyer to take HE to court and hold them responsible for being a contributor to a fatal RTC because smart / managed motorways are crap.

ezydriver:
Even when a motorway is not a smart motorway, people are now treating it as if it is. I’m starting to see a lot of people undertaking on the hard shoulder.

The scary thing is I regularly see Johnny Flip Flop tear arsing down the hard shoulder of the M11 because he thinks it’s a running lane !!!
There is no continuity any more, motorways used to have a hard shoulder and everybody knew the craic, now you have motorways with permanent hard shoulder, motorways with none and motorways they can switch from hard shoulder to running lane with the press of a button, it’s a recipe for disaster, it’s no wonder people lane hog lane 2 as at least they know it’s a running lane.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43500159
it would appear drink or drugs are involved here?

pierrot 14:

Yes maybe they should put crosswords/ wordsearches on the matrix’s to keep the brain ticking over.

Or a Quiz !!! “Time to next junction ■■?” :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: