A .h davey and becketts of stoke

Hey Nick

Yes i remember them well, Maa(Hilda) Davey was the nicest lady you would ever want to meet, & i think she did a hell of a job runnin that haulage company when her hubby died.

cheers
gaz

NICK BASFORD:
Can any of u lads out there remember these two firms from Stoke

hi mate
daveys use to see them all the time up and down the m1 early doors, bricks and tiles down and coils back up always sheeted immaculately
another proper haulier gone

Hi all
Becketts division lorries ERF as usual but Blue chassis and mudguards Yellow cab maybe somthing to bo with Mitchelin i remember them well.
John

3300John:
Hi all
Becketts division lorries ERF as usual but Blue chassis and mudguards Yellow cab maybe somthing to bo with Mitchelin i remember them well.
John

When i worked for Vic Wild,in those days drivers would walk out of one job and into another within an hour,and there was a regular exchange of drivers between Wilds and Hilda’s,although I never moved over.
I always thought that Becketts was a firm taken over by Davys and had the Michlin contract,as they always seemed to be Beckett’s motors in there,whereas Davys,like Wilds,tended more to general haulage.However,I did quite a bit of Michlin work when I was on Wilds.
When Davys moved to Beech’s new yard on the A500,they were doing mostly clay tiles from Eternit at Madely up until their demise.

Hello ian can u remember wen the vica had the yard at Weldon RD with BILLY LITTLE

NICK BASFORD:
Hello ian can u remember wen the vica had the yard at Weldon RD with BILLY LITTLE

The name Billy Little does not ring a bell at the moment,it may do in a short while.
Did you see my post on this forum I posted last week,about the death of Barbara Wild,Vic’s wife,last week?.

bestbooties:

NICK BASFORD:

The name Billy Little does not ring a bell at the moment,it may do in a short while.
Did you see my post on this forum I posted last week,about the death of Barbara Wild,Vic’s wife,last week?.

There was some good company’s in the Stoke area and a good verity plus pace. If you wanted early start go to Davey’s.If you wanted Sunday start Vic Wild.
JL Coopers was quite steady not so much pay. Harrisons If you wanted Saturday off he would find you a Sunday previous week to make up your pay.
I was on the brick trailer and asked if anyone was going south of the river a person i new wanted a lift to Dover. I rolled in Friday night and sometimes a load of bricks would be on a flat trailer i could pinch.John harrison said park up your trailer you’ve got JCBs at Berrisfords for Sunday change over in Dover.
Great chap to work for.Sometimes we would do tyres from the Mich I can’nt think who for you got a bit Black loading back with tyres for remould.
John.

3300John:

bestbooties:

NICK BASFORD:

There was some good company’s in the Stoke area and a good verity plus pace. If you wanted early start go to Davey’s.If you wanted Sunday start Vic Wild.
JL Coopers was quite steady not so much pay. Harrisons If you wanted Saturday off he would find you a Sunday previous week to make up your pay.
I was on the brick trailer and asked if anyone was going south of the river a person i new wanted a lift to Dover. I rolled in Friday night and sometimes a load of bricks would be on a flat trailer i could pinch.John harrison said park up your trailer you’ve got JCBs at Berrisfords for Sunday change over in Dover.
Great chap to work for.Sometimes we would do tyres from the Mich I can’nt think who for you got a bit Black loading back with tyres for remould.
John.

Question for the Pot throwers-----what did they use all them loads of cobbles for that Davey’s ect. used to bring up from the south ? and how did they tip them off the flats? Bewick

Dem was’nt cobbles they was flints. They ground them up into dust and made glaze out of them. How did they unload them???Handball years ago then
came along the digger and they sort of pushed them to one side you finished off with a shovel and what was left of your hands.Sounds like hard work
it was.
John.

3300John:
Dem was’nt cobbles they was flints. They ground them up into dust and made glaze out of them. How did they unload them???Handball years ago then
came along the digger and they sort of pushed them to one side you finished off with a shovel and what was left of your hands.Sounds like hard work
it was.
John.

Thanks for the in-fo on the flints John !! Bewick

Before Vic Wild started The Wild Group,his original firm was Gleave Transport.
While Davey’s had the flints for backloads,Gleave Transport was backloading bulk china clay in non tipping sided trailers.
In those days,a Cornwall run was 5 days round trip and your Saturday morning job was shovelling off 20 ton of china clay.
And Vic Wild was no stranger to a shovel!
Those were the days!