A diary of a Multi-Drop day

I thought I would put this here, to show that Multi-Drop work isn’t necessarily the terrible, troublesome, hell that it is sometimes portrayed as on this site.

Short Bio: I’m a Class 2 license holder only*(Boooo! I hear you say)* and have been since 2009. 2009-2013 I was on Hiab Multi-Drop for a local builders merchants. 2013-present day I have been working for the firm you see pictured.

05:45 START SHIFT and do my daily checks as per my routine I’m on the road 15 minutes later, I need fuel first, as I had a late day yesterday, and I couldn’t be arsed to fill 'er up (oooh err missus!) last night. I soon discover my usual HGV fill up, Shell Chiswell Green, is closed for refurbishment of some sort, not a great start to the day. So off I toddle to Shell on the London Colney Longabout. I don’t like going there as it only has one pump, and the lads from the GRS quarry are always in there. And the diesel is slightly more expensive. Anyways, I roll into my companies St Albans depot 5 minutes later than usual*(so sue me) :wink:* to load up for the days first run out.

06:35-07:00 Me and our Artic Driver break down my load, serve a couple of customers, and load up my truck with 3 drops.

This is my first load sheet, showing what is on the bed of the truck, where it is, and what it also goes with. It also shows the ETA given for each drop, and whether they have been contacted. The boss did todays as my planner was sick, which is why its been amended a bit*(catching up and all that)* which normally means they could well be optimistic times!

Anyway 07:00 we are loaded and on the road, to a regular drop for me, a large garden centre about 30 minutes away. I like going here, as I just have open the curtains, unstrap their pallets, and leave the paperwork on bed for them to sign. I can grab a break, this particular garden centre has a water boiler on 24hrs, (and some wonderful looking ladies in the office) so I help myself to coffee, the loo, and a wishful perve :wink:

I come back to find myself unloaded and the paperwork complete. (The forkie here really is a good lad!) I close up and head off the next drop. Its in Totteridge, a snip of a drive, straight down the A1000, when I see the address I realise its a Cul-de-Sac, and its got Piers Morgan’s Cricket Club at the end of it, I know this road, its very pretty, very little room, aaaaand lots of money! I use all of my experience (and the fact I went to this house last week- cheat!) and decide its best to park at the top of the road, and run the five pallets and a bulk bag down on the forklift. You can see its mostly single track, and with the few passing spots taken up by cars dropping Tarquin&Hattie at the local prep school.(Don’t posh kids have Easter Holidays??)

It takes 35 minutes which isn’t too bad, the locals here really are nice, and plenty throw friendly waves at me as I try and upset people as little as possible. This is a stark contrast to the treatment I got the first time I dropped on this road, about 2 years ago, where I reversed all the way down (what a hero!) but blocked up the road to do the drop! I even managed put it in reasonably neatly on the driveway.

The last pallet on the load is to a Golf Club nearby, no time to get the irons out, so I drop the pallet, and head back to the depot getting there for the start of Colin Murray on Talksport. Not too shabby!

10:00-10:30ish I have another 15 minutes break in the depot, I could have taken 30 and cleared my drive time, but my last drop on the second load is a good friend and he will appreciate that 15 minutes earlier delivery come Christmas time. (This year was a bottle of terrible wine and a £20 - nice!) Also the depot manager/forklift driver/load picker*(he’s all 3!)* has been ill for 2 weeks and this is his first day back, so I’m keen to help him out with the picking as much as possible where I can.

5 drops, Finchley, Golders Green, Mill Hill, Hendon, Abbots Langley. Pretty much 2:30 drive remaining, I’m confident I can make the run and have the rest of my break in the depot. (Which is my preference.) Or if I’m running short of time, I can stop in Abbots Langley, where the supply of eye candy will be plentiful at least. (Generally, just the right side of Scummy Mummy :wink: ) I get round these drops in a pretty timely manner, and I’m pleased to see its exactly the route I would have planned given the locations. Always a winner when the person planning the load is on your wavelength! Still hitting the ETA’s which is good too.(Under promise, but over deliver. Just like “Little Freddie”…)

I get back to the depot at roughly 13:30 with 9 driving minutes left on the clock. So I can have my 30 minutes break in the depot, and be loaded up while I’ve got my feet up with a coffee. Or, is this case, another of our delivery lorries is waiting on some turf, to take down to Medsted, he is newish on the truck and has only had his license 3 months, (did his C and CE back to back, so although he is less experienced, his ■■■■ IS bigger) and he is keen to check the route as its a bit out of the way, a new development, and I’m the only one who had been there before. I’m happy to help him out, show him the best way in, and wish him good luck for the afternoon, as his will be long, St Albans to Medsted, Medsted to Olney, is a fair old hike, I just hope the traffic was kind to him!

By the time I’ve finished my break, my third load is picked, and loaded, despite his recovery still on going, manager come forklift driver has been a hero and done it all himself. (Get the guy a medal!) its an easy afternoon just 3 drops and a collection. Off to a builders merchant in Potters Bar, then up to a house in Welwyn Garden City, both come off easy, but I was expecting WGC drop to be quiet, but it turns out the local rugby club is hosting some sort of event, its right next door to the house I have to deliver to. This means it takes me 15 minutes to take off one pallet safely :open_mouth:

But with a couple of lads from the site doing a bit of traffic control, we get it off and Manitou it up the road without too much difficulty. My last drop and collection are both in my hometown. I always hate going here last, as it breaks my heart to then have drive the truck to its ■■■■■■■■■■■■ a 30 mile round trip away, but needs must!(Why cant I park a 32t GVW truck on my tiny one car drive■■?) Off to Harpenden we go, and the last drop comes off easy as its a repeat job, I remember it well as the lady of the house asked me to “drop it off in the back entrance” :laughing: (I’m such a loser but things like that get me every time!)

Before anyone gives me stick for stopping on the Keep Clear School Marking, its Easter holidays and those kids are definitely on holiday! I push off from here and go to Jewsons on the other side of town, shoot the breeze with a couple of ex workmates while I pick up my collection of pipes from there. Back to Radlett from Harpenden and I tuck my ride away to bed by 17:30 to finish an 11:45 hour day.

All in all a good day, no problems, and everyone cheery as it all happened on time and according to plan! Sorry if I’ve waffled on, and or if it was boring. Happy Trucking people!

Great post F-reds, excellent for giving Newbie’s an idea on what could possibly lie ahead… :smiley:
Now ditch that Moffett and get a pump truck you big jessie! :grimacing:

P.S. I’m not seeing any milk or cows mate? :open_mouth:
You sure it’s a dairy? :wink:

Evil8Beezle:
Great post F-reds, excellent for giving Newbie’s an idea on what could possibly lie ahead… :smiley:
Now ditch that Moffett and get a pump truck you big jessie! :grimacing:

P.S. I’m not seeing any milk or cows mate? :open_mouth:
You sure it’s a dairy? :wink:

Get a pump truck? I’m allergic to hard work :laughing:

I’ve edited the title as I’m allergic to cows too! Nice spot Beeze!

Interesting F-reds, so Cat C isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be.

PottyPott:
Interesting F-reds, so Cat C isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be.

Look, as a broad sweeping statement I’m sure there are less unhappy Bendy Pilots’, than there are van steering wheel attendants. (See what I did there?) But that doesn’t mean you can’t find a cracking little Cat C job, it’s all about deciding what you want, and then actively looking for it.

My top criteria for ANY job are:

1. Pay acceptable for work required
  2. Family owned
  3. Level of independent thought required from me to do the job

Now these are very important to me, and I wouldn’t and probably couldn’t, do a job that didn’t meet that criteria. But that doesn’t mean they should be your priorities, decide what yours are and go from there.

A wise man F-reds, especially the family owned bit. It can take away a HELL of a lot of the bullcrap & bureaucracy , and if you go the extra mile for the company when needed, you’ve an actual chance of it being appreciated! :laughing:

Completely agree with the rest, as I suspect a lot of Newbies HERE probably only see the dregs, or the bottom rung of the ladder, as those are the doors that are easily open to them! You and Radar have gigs in VAN’s that you’re both happy with. I’m even driving a VAN at the moment! :open_mouth: Only been on this filler gig a week, but it’s not hard work as I do 2 drops or collections a day! :smiley: I’m not going to get rich on this one, but i’m not breaking my balls, or rushing around like a loon…

Anyway, back to the article (cow shed! :smiley:)
You’ve done such a great job on your diary, I was wondering (if the mood takes you) whether you’d do one on Moffitt’s. A bit of general overall info as well as your experiences would be great, as all I know currently is that it’s not covered under a normal forklift licence. What do you think? You’ve seen me shamelessly plug my ADR thread, but it does save the need of going over the obvious questions again and again.

PS. I’m not looking at getting a Moffitt though, I’m a bender at heart! (I’ve got to change that saying somehow… :laughing: )

I think we can probably manage that mate. I’ll see if I can find a day with a couple of vaguely interesting moffett related bits and pieces. That’ll be another thread for another day I guess. It’s a ■■■■ shame I lost my old phone, I had a picture of Rod Stewart pointing vaguely into the distance at what part of his garden the landscapers were in :open_mouth:

Had the day from hell today. 7am tip in Manchesters Ardale Centre. Then drive to Winsford for a 09:30 tip, then to Knutsford for two pallets, then back into Manchester city centre to play the Russian Roulette wheel of “which road have they decided to dig up this week” for a bunch of tat. Then off to Lowton for a Scania collection then finish off at Dewsbury for more Scania. Over 500Km’s and 8 hours and 40 minutes clocked up on drive. That is a day run at our place… I also started at 04:15 in the morning. I hate day runs.

Tomorrow is Hinkley for two tiny reels of paper. Then off to Coventry for one pallet of Class 9 something then a collection out of Rugby and Derby.

Radar19:
Had the day from hell today. 7am tip in Manchesters Ardale Centre. Then drive to Winsford for a 09:30 tip, then to Knutsford for two pallets, then back into Manchester city centre to play the Russian Roulette wheel of “which road have they decided to dig up this week” for a bunch of tat. Then off to Lowton for a Scania collection then finish off at Dewsbury for more Scania. Over 500Km’s and 8 hours and 40 minutes clocked up on drive. That is a day run at our place… I also started at 04:15 in the morning. I hate day runs.

Tomorrow is Hinkley for two tiny reels of paper. Then off to Coventry for one pallet of Class 9 something then a collection out of Rugby and Derby.

It all sounds great if things go right, but they never do! :laughing:
It’s when every day is planned like that you have to problem…
When’s your step-up happening pal, it’s got to be getting close? :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

Radar19:

It all sounds great if things go right, but they never do! :laughing:
It’s when every day is planned like that you have to problem…
When’s your step-up happening pal, it’s got to be getting close? :smiley:

16th of May is my start of the training again.