A common weekend driving assumption by some newbies

mrpj:

ROG:
None of the above is included in the present theory and I believe should be to prevent breaches of the EU regs/law.

I know this has cropped up quite a few times on here but how common is it really? To be fair the theory syllabus can’t cover every scenario :slight_smile:

I know it cannot but it does seem that this question has been answered quite a few times on here.

ROG,

I don’t have the book, its covered in the theory section on the DVD. The one they sell at WH Smith!

Its also covered in the little brown VOSA Tachograph book they give to those who pass the test. Or at least they give it out at my local test station! (Lancing)

Alex

Scarab:
Its also covered in the little brown VOSA Tachograph book they give to those who pass the test.

Is it just my imagination or did you used to get a video from VOSA about hours when you passed? I’m sure I got one :confused:

When I was there I got a DVD on drivers hours, a brown booklet about hours and how to fill in a paper tacho and use a digi tacho.
I also got a “New drivers” 16 page “paper” a digi tacho application form, a walkround poster and about 10 other leaflets.

Our local VOSA office has them in bundles at the “check in” desk, where you go to wait for a test, or book in a vehicle for its MOT.

I always pick up the latest one when I go past, or in there, the staff are very helpful, unlike their ironically named helpine :smiley:

Alex

mrpj:
Is it just my imagination or did you used to get a video from VOSA about hours when you passed? I’m sure I got one :confused:

I certainly never got one of those! And yes, it is something which I’d imagine (judging from here and my own experience) causes fairly regular confusion.

All I was given when I passed was my pass paper, pat on the back and 10p for a coffee out of the machine!!!

Oh and a comprehensive booklet listing all the greasy spoons within 30 miles!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

All I got was my pass certificate! :cry:

There is also the fact that in the week (Sunday Midnight to Sunday Midnight) where they did come under EU regs, they must fill in a seperate tacho chart for each of the days worked in their other job and those charts must contain their name, start & finish time for each day.

OK, picked up some tacho’s. Do I only have to fill in my name and hours worked for non driving full time work?

Sorry to appear a bit dim no this but I don’t recall this being mentioned at all during training.

Speed Freak:
All I got was my pass certificate! :cry:

There is also the fact that in the week (Sunday Midnight to Sunday Midnight) where they did come under EU regs, they must fill in a seperate tacho chart for each of the days worked in their other job and those charts must contain their name, start & finish time for each day.

OK, picked up some tacho’s. Do I only have to fill in my name and hours worked for non driving full time work?

Sorry to appear a bit dim no this but I don’t recall this being mentioned at all during training.

It is not taught in training.

if you came under EU regs in that week then yes - just name, start & finish times on each one.
If not driving under EU regs in that week - don’t bother

I have been filling in a Weekly Record Sheet as described in Annex 3 of GV262 to record weekday work when doing the weekend driving thing.

Does this sound OK or should I be filling in Tacho discs instead?

FlyDrive:
I have been filling in a Weekly Record Sheet as described in Annex 3 of GV262 to record weekday work when doing the weekend driving thing.

Does this sound OK or should I be filling in Tacho discs instead?

Tacho discs or digi manual entries are. I believe, the only ones allowed.

Remember - you only have to fill them in for the week in which you came under EU driving regs.

If in a Mon to Fri job then you can usually only legally manage to do 1 driving shift every other weekend.

If driving every other weekend, then only every other week needs filling out with a seperate tacho used for each day.

Each daily tacho should just have your name, start & finish times on it.

Recording other work Drivers must record all other work and periods of availability — including work for other employers — on all driving and non-driving days within a week where they have undertaken driving that comes within the scope of the EU rules on drivers’ hours.

For example, a driver who works in a warehouse on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and wishes to drive a vehicle within the scope of the EU rules on Thursday of the same week must complete records for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

The record must be either:

• written manually on a chart;
  • written manually on a printout from a digital tachograph;
  • made by using the manual input facility of a digital tachograph; or
  • for days where a driver has been subject to the domestic drivers’ hours rules and a record is legally required (see page 25), recorded in a domestic log book.

For the non-driving days, the record may simply show the driver’s name, the date, and the start and finish of the shift. These records must be carried on the vehicle by the driver to be produced to enforcement officers for the relevant period (see individual sections on how to make manual entries).

Looks like I’ve been misinterpreting this bit…

Smart Mart:

• for days where a driver has been subject to the domestic drivers’ hours rules and a record is legally required (see page 25), recorded in a domestic log book.

:blush:

Best get myself a box of tachos.

Thank you