weekly rest question

According to Vosa rules i must have a 45 hour weekly break or reduced to min 24 in any two consecutive weeks, plus compensation by the 3rd week ok
What if the situation arises (as it has) where week 1 you work 5 days split rest (Tuesday 37 hours and Sunday 34 hours).
Week 2 you work only 4 days split rest days ( Tuesday 36 hours, Friday 34 hours and Sunday 30 hours)
Am i breaking the rules by not having a 45 hour break in week 2 despite only working 4 days and long rest days?
If so this must effect many agency drivers who have to take what they can get what ever days?

can anyone clear this up?

Yes you would be breaking the rules as one of those weeks must have a weekly rest period of a minimum 45 hours. You can make it legal by not working the Monday, or at least not until the 30 hour Sunday rest is 45 hours.

If you do that there would be only one rest period from week 1 requiring compensation, which incidentally is by the end of the third week following the reduction and not the third week. Make it the 37 hour one and you have 8 hours to compensate for, which has already been taken care of by your other rest in week 1.

If you don’t do it you will be running bent so no point worrying about compensation. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Also there is no such thing as split weekly rest, all weekly rest has to be one continuous period and calling it split rest might be what is confusing you.

coffeeholic,i think this one is for you! :laughing:

TTX boy:
coffeeholic,i think this one is for you! :laughing:

You’re right, it was. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes thanks coffeeholic i thought as so, means i have to turn down work even though have driving hours left, this makes me absolutely livid with rage as an honest john trying to make a living. I recently paid out £90 and a days lost wage for a cpc class which taught me how to carry a box across the room and drive a vehicle economically.

I actually felt embarrassed and patronized but treated this young trainer with respect as it was very plain that he had never driven a hgv for a living. I can honestly say that I learnt not one iota of information that would make me change my driving habits or techniques.
In fact what I have learned throughout my career has been by talking to other drivers or reading truck publications and more recently this forum-cheers