Weekend driving

Hello this my first post on here , work in my current job one week 40hrs days and following week 50hrs nights .i have c+e licence but no experience on artics .iwould like to signe up to a agency for weekend work to gain experience and wanted to know how many hours I could work on weekend legally under driver hous rules I drive average of 16 hrs each week on class 2 any advice would be helpful

None!. stop being greedy and pinching other drivers premium hours just to get some experience. You have a full time job so let someone else have one too. If you want to be a lorry driver then be one. ■■■■■■■ hate cherry pickers. How would you like it if someone came into your job and stole your premium hours just to get experience?

What are your start and finish times both weeks ?

Deffo need actual work times for each week before any definitive answer can be given but here are some general rules

No problem with actual hours worked because main job is under the normal WTD and LGV driving is under RTD - the two do not get added together

The main job does count as other work for the EU regs so that time cannot count as rest

A fixed week (week) for the regs is sunday midnight to sunday midnight

If any EU regs driving is done during any part of a week then the whole of that week is subject to the EU regs which means each shift done in the main job must be officially recorded and the easiest way to do that is to use a separate analogue card for each shift worked with your name date start and finish times on each … Those cards can be binned after 29 calendar days

If no EU regs driving was done in a week then no records are required and it will be assumed that a regular 45+ weekly rest was taken in that week

A 45 hour weekly rest must be taken in at least every other week
A 24 hour weekly rest must be taken in at least every week (a 45 taken will cover this because 45 is more than 24 … WOW aint I clever !!)

Daily rest rules also apply before and after any EU regs driving shift

For most working mon to fri in a non EU regs job this means driving LGV is ok for one day every other weekend

Woodysd:
Hello this my first post on here , work in my current job one week 40hrs days and following week 50hrs nights .i have c+e licence but no experience on artics .iwould like to signe up to a agency for weekend work to gain experience and wanted to know how many hours I could work on weekend legally under driver hous rules I drive average of 16 hrs each week on class 2 any advice would be helpful

There’s not enough information to give an accurate reply, if you’re doing day shifts and night shifts alternating every week I would think you could only work 1 shift every second week when you change from days to nights, but with the information you’ve given it can’t be guaranteed.

For more accurate replies we would need to know if your normal job is in-scope of EU regulations, what are your start and finish time when you’re on days, just the start time for the first shift and the end time for the last shift will do, and what are your start and finish time when you’re on nights, just the start time for the first shift and the end time for the last shift will do.

ROG:
No problem with actual hours worked because main job is under the normal WTD and LGV driving is under RTD - the two do not get added together

The main job does count as other work for the EU regs so that time cannot count as rest

How do you know the OP’s main job is not in-scope of EU regulations and the RT(WT)R :confused:

Thanks very much for helpfull repliys , my start times on day shift is Monday at 7am & finish at 3 pm Friday . Night shift is Monday start 7pm and finish Saturday 5am . Hope this helps

You could legally do a shift every other week between changing from days to nights, if you was to do a Saturday and be finished by 03:00 Sunday you would have 5 hours to pay back, but it looks like that would be paid back the next week, possibly the same week if you those are the times you finish every day.

If you did a day every second week between changing from days to nights and finished by 22:00 Saturday you would have a regular weekly rest period every week.

Thanks very much for all the help its a lot clearer now

By the way, you haven’t said if your usual job is in-scope of EU regulations but if it is you will have to watch the total working hours, I can’t see it being a problem for you but it would pay to keep an eye on it, especially if your boss is a bit strict on the working time regulations.

Woodysd:
my start times on day shift is Monday at 7am & finish at 3 pm Friday . Night shift is Monday start 7pm and finish Saturday 5am .

Being pedantic here :wink: F-in long shift there start mon finish Friday :wink: :wink:

nick2008:

Woodysd:
my start times on day shift is Monday at 7am & finish at 3 pm Friday . Night shift is Monday start 7pm and finish Saturday 5am .

Being pedantic here :wink: F-in long shift there start mon finish Friday :wink: :wink:

:laughing: :laughing:

Take no notice of him Woodysd there’s one on every forum :grimacing:

tachograph:

nick2008:

Woodysd:

:laughing: :laughing:

Take no notice of him Woodysd there’s one on every forum :grimacing:

I’m just surprised the usual suspects not picked that up Tacho :wink: :wink:

Listen to Tachographs advice and you’ll never be far wrong Woodysd :wink:

Once again many thanks for all the positive help especially tachograph and what a great site for us wanting to join the hgv drivers

If the OPs main job had been under EU regs etc then it sort of made sense that they would already know what the rules were