2 jobs

Hi folks

Ok so being a new pass and also new to the industry I am trying to get to grips with the working and driving hours,

I am a currently a full time shift worker in an office, no driving.
If for example I have worked in office mon - fri 7am - 3pm, how many working/driving hours does the law say I can do for the agency for the rest of that week??
Even more complicated if I work nights in office say Mon and Tuesday 10pm - 7am and then Sat and Sun 10pm til 7am Mon morning. How many hours can I work/drive that week…

I just want to get to grips before I infringe because it wasn’t explained to me…

Thanks in advance

Audidoody:
Hi folks

Ok so being a new pass and also new to the industry I am trying to get to grips with the working and driving hours,

I am a currently a full time shift worker in an office, no driving.
If for example I have worked in office mon - fri 7am - 3pm, how many working/driving hours does the law say I can do for the agency for the rest of that week??
Even more complicated if I work nights in office say Mon and Tuesday 10pm - 7am and then Sat and Sun 10pm til 7am Mon morning. How many hours can I work/drive that week…

I just want to get to grips before I infringe because it wasn’t explained to me…

Thanks in advance

You must have at least a 45 hour - in one go - rest every other week and in the other weeks you must have at least a 24 hour - in one go rest

Generally that means one driving shift every other weekend

As ROG said /\

Of course I doubt anyone would bother entering all that other work as manual entries on a tacho, so you could drive whenever the agency offer you a shift… however have an accident that causes serious harm or death and you’ll be screwed, huge fine and a distinct possibility of prison time (so don’t even be tempted, pack in the office work and give it a proper go)!

manicpb:
As ROG said /\

Of course I doubt anyone would bother entering all that other work as manual entries on a tacho,

Nobody does which is why DVSA accept a diary of the times done in the office job

manicpb:
As ROG said /\

so don’t even be tempted, pack in the office work and give it a proper go)!

I would love to do it this way but I have no experience, I been messed around rotten by agencies already and I can’t afford to be out of work.But within 18 months I want to be full time Class 1 so I will persist just want to be able to get as much driving done on my days off as I can

ROG:

manicpb:
As ROG said /\

Of course I doubt anyone would bother entering all that other work as manual entries on a tacho,

Nobody does which is why DVSA accept a diary of the times done in the office job

I would defo be more than happy to do it this way, so is the maximum working hours including my current job 60hrs in one week Monday to sunday as I’m unlikely to achieve 56 driving hrs…?

Forget WTD because office job is under normal WTD and driving is under RTD - the two do not get added together
Normal WTD can be opted out of in full

ROG:
Forget WTD because office job is under normal WTD and driving is under RTD - the two do not get added together
Normal WTD can be opted out of in full

Come to think of it I vaguely remember signing a document to that effect about 15 years ago, something like opting out of 48hr working week.

It’s so confusing, i think for sake of needing maximum experience I just need to take whats offered

Audidoody:

manicpb:
As ROG said /\

so don’t even be tempted, pack in the office work and give it a proper go)!

I would love to do it this way but I have no experience, I been messed around rotten by agencies already and I can’t afford to be out of work.But within 18 months I want to be full time Class 1 so I will persist just want to be able to get as much driving done on my days off as I can

ROG:

manicpb:
As ROG said /\

I would defo be more than happy to do it this way, so is the maximum working hours including my current job 60hrs in one week Monday to sunday as I’m unlikely to achieve 56 driving hrs…?

It depends where you live, there’re companies out that are starving to find drivers, I’m a new pass class 2 and 1 and managed to get 3 offers from big companies, i failed 2 assessments on reversing but got the third one right and been offered a permanent position, it won’t be flowers and roses as it’s a store deliveries but we all have to start from the bottom of the ladder not straight to the top. Try Tesco, DHL and XPO they might give you a chance, I’ve been given one. Good luck.

Where do you get 60 hours max from?
If you do 40 under normal WTD then do some driving under the drivers WTD then only the drivers WTD matters for the driving as the normal one does not get added to it

Time spent on non driving job cannot be counted as rest under the tacho regs

Are you getting tacho regs and WTD regs confused with each other?