4 dead M5 after lorry crashed through central red

Sorry Halewood, nobody sent it, think it’s just a Twitter notification

eagerbeaver:
It’s been a terrible few weeks for lorry drivers. It’s difficult to see any solutions to stop these accidents from happening sadly.

Root causes; Obviously boils down to a road infrastructure that cannot cope with ever increasing volumes of traffic. More people means more food, clothing and basically more of everything which in turns means more trucks on the roads.
In an ideal world we could have lorry only lanes. We could have carriageways 30 or 40 metres apart to prevent central reservation incursions. None of this is practicable .

Tyre blow outs; Not really anything that can be done. Simple misjudgements; We are human beings so there is not a lot that can be done to improve on that score.

Visible police presence; Would certainly in conjunction with stiff fines and enforcement improve matters but ultimately wouldn’t stop the vast majority of these collisions.

The driving standards of both car and lorry drivers are becoming worse and worse and being as immigration is something that will continue to rise year on year, maybe stiffer driving tests and more traffic cops are the only sticking plasters we can use?

Something’s going to change soon, this escalating situation is not going to be allowed to continue, and we’re only just going into the bad weather period when the roads get slippy and the days shorten.
I wonder who will be the first major player to offer serious money for drivers, but by Christ are they going to cherry pick, someone will kick it off, the industry is going to have to admit its allowed and encouraged this race to the bottom, and they are going to have to put it right.

At the end of the day they can put more and more monitoring box ticking crap on vehicles to spy on the driver and make the vehicle even more automatic than it already is, but all that does is make it easier for the plank to do his worse, all he has to do now is select D and press the loud pedal, job dumbed down to idiot level and lo and behold idiots are out there doing what they do.

High time, and i’ve called for this many times previously, that a vocational driver’s insurance claim history was linked into their vocational driving licence, so prospective employers and their insurers can avoid the motley crew who leave a trail of destruction in their wake, course that does mean they’ll have to check licences unlike at least one operator now so far up crap creek that i’ll be surprised if they survive.
Bonus for those better staff is that the shortage of proper drivers becomes really acute, leading to good drivers being sought £££.

Been a bad few days for that stretch. When I saw it initially I thought the truck lost it down the hill, then I read it was going southbound and crosssed the reservation.
Very strange.

The truck looks like a pile of [zb]. Certainly not one of the major players this time!

halewood:

Actrosman:

U both happy with that? Why would I be trying to whip up anything ffs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn’t mean you.I meant the [zb] who sent it to you.

Even I thought you were saying it to the poster obviously wires crossed moment. Although my mum said she has seen it said then same on the Mail online but I can’t see where she has read that.

After the bomb attack in London it’s probably come from an eyewitness who is an expert and knows that it is true. Of course in reality it’s just a witness making something up.
Ask 10 witnesses and you will end up with 10 different stories, what they usually look for is the common parts of each stories that actually tally up.

Gembo:
The truck looks like a pile of [zb]. Certainly not one of the major players this time!

Horse rigid lorry, managed an almost 90 degree turn from S/b to N/b, central res was damaged almost the exact width of a lorry.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Juddian:

eagerbeaver:
It’s been a terrible few weeks for lorry drivers. It’s difficult to see any solutions to stop these accidents from happening sadly.

Root causes; Obviously boils down to a road infrastructure that cannot cope with ever increasing volumes of traffic. More people means more food, clothing and basically more of everything which in turns means more trucks on the roads.
In an ideal world we could have lorry only lanes. We could have carriageways 30 or 40 metres apart to prevent central reservation incursions. None of this is practicable .

Tyre blow outs; Not really anything that can be done. Simple misjudgements; We are human beings so there is not a lot that can be done to improve on that score.

Visible police presence; Would certainly in conjunction with stiff fines and enforcement improve matters but ultimately wouldn’t stop the vast majority of these collisions.

The driving standards of both car and lorry drivers are becoming worse and worse and being as immigration is something that will continue to rise year on year, maybe stiffer driving tests and more traffic cops are the only sticking plasters we can use?

Something’s going to change soon, this escalating situation is not going to be allowed to continue, and we’re only just going into the bad weather period when the roads get slippy and the days shorten.
I wonder who will be the first major player to offer serious money for drivers, but by Christ are they going to cherry pick, someone will kick it off, the industry is going to have to admit its allowed and encouraged this race to the bottom, and they are going to have to put it right.

At the end of the day they can put more and more monitoring box ticking crap on vehicles to spy on the driver and make the vehicle even more automatic than it already is, but all that does is make it easier for the plank to do his worse, all he has to do now is select D and press the loud pedal, job dumbed down to idiot level and lo and behold idiots are out there doing what they do.

High time, and i’ve called for this many times previously, that a vocational driver’s insurance claim history was linked into their vocational driving licence, so prospective employers and their insurers can avoid the motley crew who leave a trail of destruction in their wake, course that does mean they’ll have to check licences unlike at least one operator now so far up crap creek that i’ll be surprised if they survive.
Bonus for those better staff is that the shortage of proper drivers becomes really acute, leading to good drivers being sought £££.

Driverless trucks are looking more and more the sensible option here.

bubsy06:

Gembo:

Horse rigid lorry, managed an almost 90 degree turn from S/b to N/b, central res was damaged almost the exact width of a lorry.

That was my first thought but there’s not enough small windows a long the side unless the windows are only on one side perhaps■■?
Looking at that drone footage, you can also see black marks outlined in white paint dashes on the opposite carriageway consistent with a tyre blowout on the steered axle.

Gembo:

bubsy06:

Gembo:

That was my first thought but there’s not enough small windows a long the side unless the windows are only on one side perhaps■■?
Looking at that drone footage, you can also see black marks outlined in white paint dashes on the opposite carriageway consistent with a tyre blowout on the steered axle.

People on twitter have mentioned a horse box. Gotta be a mechanical problem to cause it to swerve like that.

Blowout from what I read. Very unfortunate.

From my experience of blowouts on just about every single hub including both front ones it shouldn’t be causing accidents like this. The two front axle ones I’ve had have resulted in nothing more than having to let off the accelerator and steer over to the hard shoulder, even when with one of the events I was pulling a milk tanker.

What a terrible tragedy. Condolences to all those involved.

MickM

Total:
Blowout from what I read. Very unfortunate.

Can I ask where you read it was a blow out please?

Conor:
From my experience of blowouts on just about every single hub including both front ones it shouldn’t be causing accidents like this. The two front axle ones I’ve had have resulted in nothing more than having to let off the accelerator and steer over to the hard shoulder, even when with one of the events I was pulling a milk tanker.

Totally agree very unlikely to send you through the central reservation.

I’ve had blowouts on front tyres twice and both times I have been able to control the vehicle to a safe stop on the hard shoulder. Can anyone explain why, if this is indeed a blowout, the driver hasn’t managed the same in this situation?

mattecube:

Actrosman:
One of the ‘breaking news’ notifications I got came up saying the lorry had ‘deliberately’ gone through the CenRes

You seem to be trying to whip up controversiaty in the light of a tragic event
Grow up

The same argument was made over this old bit of footage - that the driver might have been intending suicide.

Surely “A front blowout” would be more likely though?
I don’t remember hearing that it was in fact a “Heart Attack” as one single comment below the footage suggested…
Would you do that though? Lunge sharply to the left in one’s death throes?

Iirc, they said that the truck (in the above video) had a steering malfunction…was it a bolt sheared off or similar and caused the n/s wheel to suddenly turn left?

Dr Damon:

Conor:

Totally agree very unlikely to send you through the central reservation.

Meanwhile in the real world. :unamused:

youtube.com/watch?v=WNXtskqaZ08 0.08 - 0.20

Juddian:

Even though I agree with your sentiments, I think we should get proper details of the incident before we lay blame at the industry, I also think wages overall won’t rise until one of the major players crack and change their payment and recruitment procedures, but I also doubt this will happen, if we do get into a situation where trucks are stood and loads remain undelivered.

cupidstunt:
I’ve had blowouts on front tyres twice and both times I have been able to control the vehicle to a safe stop on the hard shoulder. Can anyone explain why, if this is indeed a blowout, the driver hasn’t managed the same in this situation?

If it blows out on the inside and it happens to react against the chassis/wheelarch etc. It forces the steering in/out.