3 low mile Petes for sale

Pat Hasler:
I have not become a steering wheel holder [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]
I am just practical, driving a thing that has a turning circle about the same as the f***ing QE2 does not appeal to me [emoji38]

And I don’t know what you mean by “short bunk” ? … I have to take 2 steps to walk from the driving seat to the bunk and can stand up right alongside the driving seat, something that can’t be done in either of the vehicles shown here :wink:

Yeah but you’ve only got little legs [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

My Volvo has been in for a dealer service since 0730 on Monday, still not released cos they’re waiting for a module to stick somewhere, don’t tempt me. Rattling my teeth loose on Hway 1 in a poxy day cab VN, tis not good enough ,TFIF tomorrow. Our company are saying they’ll never buy them again, back to crappy KWs.

A few blokes I know have had some big problems with their Volvos lately, luckily they’re all still just inside their warranty, one by less than 10k miles when he had a valve break and wipe out everything from the crankcase up, it even did the turbo, which had only been replaced a few weeks before. I had to have a new head on mine a few months out of warranty, Volvo gave me $5k back as a goodwill gesture, but it still cost me $16k.

Another bloke had to rip out the I-shift or fork out $35k on a replacement, he swapped it for a 13spd and now it won’t move as the engine ECM is confused as it’s not getting messages from the I-shift ECM, he put a complete engine in it last year from a wrecked truck after the original went ■■■■ up, saved $15k that way as the rebuild quote was $45k and you know that was going to be dearer by the time they finished.

It scares the life out of me, I still have a year to go on the payments on mine and warranty is finished, it does have a limited warranty on the new top end and I’ve replaced the radiator, water pump, most of the A/C system, starter, alternator and batteries in the last six months, so finger’s crossed, but just in case I drained the fire extinguisher and refilled it with petrol lol

The scary part is that Volvo are no worse than anything else, better in fact when it comes to the emissions ■■■■■■■■ and they’re good on fuel and nice to live in all week to boot, I haven’t got a clue what to replace mine with except another glider and they’re 30% more expensive to buy and the Volvos ain’t exactly cheap in the first place, like I said, it’s scary stuff.

The Swedish beauty is ready at last , collection Monday 0730 , normality resumes . Glad I’m not paying the bills plus down time :unamused:

Narrow cabbed rattly bone shakers with all the fit and build quality of a 70’s ERF…

Again, how many miles have you covered in one? They’re bolted together a lot better than any Volvo over here, I can assure you

newmercman:
Again, how many miles have you covered in one? They’re bolted together a lot better than any Volvo over here, I can assure you

Volvo , like all new trucks here have their issues thanks to the unproven techno crap installed in them , but the build quality is above and beyond . My previous KW had rust on the stainless and chrome within weeks , not to mention the ergonomics of rivets and bolts holding the POS together , no comparison to a Volvo , main dealer issues aside :unamused: .

Just wait until it’s got a few hundred thousand under the bumper, it’s a different story then, a Volvo is like most new trucks now, 5yrs old and they’re fit for ■■■■ all.

I’ve driven a few 11’/12’ plate Renault premiums with 600k up them and they were great, powerful and reliable with Volvo engines. I’d have a used one over any new truck if I was setting up on my own

newmercman:
And you’ve driven one how many times?

I’ve done a million miles in them and rate them highly enough to spend my own money on them, I bought a couple of 21st century Volvos too and it’s doubtful I’ll ever buy another.

Keep your knickers on I was only taking the ■■■■. Would never have had you down as a particular brand fan boy but now I think you seem to be in same category as the V8 obsessed Scania lads. I bet you even wear a Peterbuilt jacket on nights out don’t you? :wink:

newmercman:
A few blokes I know have had some big problems with their Volvos lately, luckily they’re all still just inside their warranty, one by less than 10k miles when he had a valve break and wipe out everything from the crankcase up, it even did the turbo, which had only been replaced a few weeks before. I had to have a new head on mine a few months out of warranty, Volvo gave me $5k back as a goodwill gesture, but it still cost me $16k.

Another bloke had to rip out the I-shift or fork out $35k on a replacement, he swapped it for a 13spd and now it won’t move as the engine ECM is confused as it’s not getting messages from the I-shift ECM, he put a complete engine in it last year from a wrecked truck after the original went ■■■■ up, saved $15k that way as the rebuild quote was $45k and you know that was going to be dearer by the time they finished.

It scares the life out of me, I still have a year to go on the payments on mine and warranty is finished, it does have a limited warranty on the new top end and I’ve replaced the radiator, water pump, most of the A/C system, starter, alternator and batteries in the last six months, so finger’s crossed, but just in case I drained the fire extinguisher and refilled it with petrol lol

The scary part is that Volvo are no worse than anything else, better in fact when it comes to the emissions ■■■■■■■■ and they’re good on fuel and nice to live in all week to boot, I haven’t got a clue what to replace mine with except another glider and they’re 30% more expensive to buy and the Volvos ain’t exactly cheap in the first place, like I said, it’s scary stuff.

Christ it sounds really bad over there, like Europe in the 80’s/90’s. I think I’m Europe now we are spoilt with truck that are more reliable than ever with dealers that are now actually half way decent

As said Luke , just glad I’m not paying the bills for repairs . Trucks do take a pounding over here , their cause not helped by the climate and DEF(Adblue) freezing at minus 11c .

switchlogic:

newmercman:
And you’ve driven one how many times?

I’ve done a million miles in them and rate them highly enough to spend my own money on them, I bought a couple of 21st century Volvos too and it’s doubtful I’ll ever buy another.

Keep your knickers on I was only taking the ■■■■. Would never have had you down as a particular brand fan boy but now I think you seem to be in same category as the V8 obsessed Scania lads. I bet you even wear a Peterbuilt jacket on nights out don’t you? :wink:

I go commando Luke, so no worries there. Us Pete drivers can’t fit our big balls in regular undies lol.

In all seriousness though, the classic long nose Peterbilt/KW is a fantastic thing to drive, you sit in one, whereas you sit on a Volvo or similar, if that makes sense. The ride and handling are unequaled and for punching down the highway on long hauls, there is nothing to touch them.

Yes the cab is small, but there is much more room for the driver than in a Volvo (or any aerodynamic styled truck) a mate of mine has a 780 Volvo, he’s 6’5" and he was shocked when he sat in my Pete, said there was much more leg room in the Pete. Having gone from a Pete to a Volvo and back to a Pete, I completely agree.

Sleeper wise the Volvo is the best there is, in layout and overall space, the convertible bottom bunk/table and chairs arrangement is fantastic, a real home away from home, but the quality of the interior plastics and trim is nowhere near as good as it is in the Peterbilt. Storage wise, there’s nothing between them really, you could get more in a Pete, but it’s easier to get at in a Volvo.

Engines are a different story the Volvo D13 (can’t get a D16 here anymore) has decent power, the equivalent Paccar MX couldn’t live with one in the hills and i-shift is without doubt the best gearbox ever made, nothing else comes close. However my Pete has a pre emissions CAT in it and it’s a bit of a beast, because it doesn’t have all the tree hugging crap on it, every bit of power it makes goes to the back wheels and against my Volvo doing exactly the same job, there’s nothing between the two on mpg, the Volvo has the edge with lighter loads, the CAT is better when we’re at max weight or in the hills when they’re working hard.

Now here’s the thing, which would I choose? As a company driver with a new truck every 3yrs, it would be a Volvo every time, but as an owner operator the only choice is the Peterbilt that I have now. Unless I could get an S730 Scania and a pair of shiny tan dealer boots [emoji16][emoji16]