Subbies for McBurneys

Now Im not knocking the guy in shape or form and best of luck to to him but passed one of C S Lowrys this morning pulling a McBurney Fridge,it was a brand new XF105 SSC Daf,

I know hes been subbying with them for the last 4 years but I was just wondering how he can afford and run such an expensive motor (now with AD Blue) on 86 pence a mile ?

Any ideas ?

they could have uped the rate

if it his owwn motor and he’s traction only then maybe possible as long but hell only just be breaking even on 84ppm if hoes on 105ppm then it possible he could have a driver on it or could be running it round the clock

If he’s running for McB’s hes obviously not too fussed about little things like running legal, unless they have changed their ways, so the earning potential is probably not bad. :open_mouth: :unamused:

well to get a turnover of £1612 @ 86 p per mile, you will have to cover 3000 Kms week in week out and I know from past experience this is not acheivable, you will average around the 2500/2800 mark.

Dont foget tho, fuel and the added cost of ad blue will not leave a lot left to pay evrything out of.

I’m sure they must pay their “mates” / larger hauliers a higher rate. It’s only new faces and one man bands they’d pay 86ppm to. If you’re running bent/double shifting and doing 60 then you could afford a 105.

Silver_Surfer:
I’m sure they must pay their “mates” / larger hauliers a higher rate. It’s only new faces and one man bands they’d pay 86ppm to. If you’re running bent/double shifting and doing 60 then you could afford a 105.

No they dont, new face or not, you may get the better runs tho. If the wagon is double shifting then obviously your burning double fuel so if we say 10 mpg, it costs 86 pence per litre ( ex vat) say, per every 3.64 Kms , 3000 miles will cost you approx £709 to generate a turnove of turnover £1612.

Left with £903, less truck repayment , insurance, road tax, vehicle wear and tear, tyres, I reckon theres another good £300/400 gone there, then you have your wages , oh and then tax not to mention expenses such as phone, living away etc.

It wont be doing 6000 Kms , you will probably be lucky if you generate an extra 1500 Kms, and of course the driver will want a full weeks pay.
Still cant see how hes doin it.

McBurneys at one time had numerous subbies on for them, now I hardly see any, says alot.

they have a base a few miles away from me…they are on the go all the time.
I have been told they arent good to work for as pay isnt good but they want their pound of flesh from you

Maybe he’s just a bored millionaire keeping himself busy!! :laughing: